• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Football Media Day Quotes

Last scrimmage is tomorrow night though not going to make it. I can also take a hint that I think they wanted it closed even though it's a short one. QB might be announced after that but guessing that Flacco is the guy. Several TV crews where there to talk to him. I didn't ask the typical brother questions. Don't really care but wanted to know about his background. Here goes.

Tom Flacco on background
I played baseball. Started getting looked at my senior year. I ended up grayshirting due to baseball at Western Michigan. Played two years, went to Rutgers, ended up at Towson. Couldn't be any happier. I played three sports in HS. I never really went to those four-day camps to get looked at by college football programs and scouts. Maybe that hurt me in terms of recruiting. I don't really know or care at this point. I'm playing with a little bot of a chip on my shoulder.

What attracted him to Towson
The coaches and the opportunity we were going to have to be successful. We have a lot of talented guys on offense. That's what really attracted me the most. 

On team and quarterbacks and getting adjusted
We're competing every day. That's you want out of the quarterbacks. Eveyrone is getting better. Team is better. I was out here early in the summer. We have some really good receivers. I worked with the offensive line to see what the calls were. I adjusted pretty quickly.

On difference between WMIch and Towson
Not much of a difference. The facilities are good here. Practices are great. Haven't played a season yet, but it's pretty  similar.

Key to this team offensively
Just do your job and execute every play to the best of your ability. We continue to get better during practices.

On red zone
In the red zone, I feel like I can use my legs or put that ball over the defender. I'm someone that can execute the plays that are given. If something breaks down, I feel like I can make a play with my legs.

Diondre Wallace
On defense
I've seen a lot of aggressiveness. We're hungry to control what we can control. We're fast, strong and powerful. We have a little chip on our shoulder, giving up 24 points per game. We take that personally. The players are trying to perfect what we can. We're excited to show what we can do.

On Zain Harps-Upshur getting hurt
We did what we needed to do. Next man up. The best we could do with the guys we had. Everybody we have can play. 

On newcomers
Charles Barrett? He's awesome. He's doing well. Doing a great job. He'll be ready to play come Sept. 1. Makes my job a lot easier with size up front. I can get that double team or get him off the double team by knowing the defense. It goes hand in hand.

It helps us in ways that gives us depth to our defense and makes us better because they all have attitidues. They want to be great, want to work. Go through the pain and struggle of camp because it's going to elevate us to another level. They are great guys off the field and on the field. Great teammates with great character. We're lucky to have you.

We don't worry about what people think. We focus on what we can control. That's out motto from the coaches down. It's all about us. We don't worry about the outside noise coming in.

On keys to the defense
Control the line of scrimmage. Every play. Stop the run, get the quarterback. There are teams with all-american running backs, receivers. Stop the run. Control the line of scrimmage. That's our motto. Going to be very aggressive this year.

Rob Ambrose
On QB
Had a passing conversation with Jared. We're going to get through the scrimmage (short one) on Saturday and make our evaluations. I'm not a big fan of showing people your cards. If you are going to find out who it is, you need to go the game and watch. It's down to two. 

On Ryan Stover
As disappointed as I was how we ended the spring at quarteback overall, I'm 10x better on where we are now. We still have work to do. The guys look around and see both Tom and Ryan getting it done. I don't think they care who it is but know we're going to have a good quarterback and we'll be pretty good. 

On defensive transfers
I jokingly said our offseason recruiting this year, has been the best it's been in many years. It seems like every single guy we brought in, not only could they play ball, but they fit into who we want to be as a team and they want to be a part of it. It's not like we're trying to mold them to be this, they want to be a part of this. That's fun. Some of them are just showing their heads now.

On DeBerry
I felt comfortable where we were (without him). He's so multi-faceted. He picks it up so fast. He's a football guy. Has football intelligence. Is a really great teammate.

Offensively on camp
I'd like to say we're looking strong up front in our first five. The tight end spot has been tough because Joe (Green) has been hurt, Ellis (Knudson) has been hurt. Chris Clark has been hurt. They are all getting back into it. We need to tighten that up very fast. The wide receiver group is deep. It's a good thing. The injury report four days ago looked like the starting lineup and the other guys stepped up and we didn't miss a beat. Next man up. Depth is clearly going to help. (Chris) Greaves is still out. Disappointed. It's the same stuff.

Running backs
Shane looks much better. Night and day from where he was a year ago. Kobe Young had a good freshman year. Very pleased with him. We lost AP (Platt) for the year with a foot (injury). That hurts. Jaelen looks good. Yeedee looks good. He's allowing us to do a couple more things on offense we haven't been able to do in awhile. He's big enough. He's the closest thing to Darrius and Terrance since they left. Bigger and stronger. Good balance. Runs strong. They are living on speed and quicknes. He has a little more power.

• Like 1

Gallahan has been fine but Jabari Allen has star potential. You can’t teach 6-3 and good hands, Not sure how much Rutkowski will play. Always liked his hands. Not very explosive though. 

If everybody is healthy, the top 3 are Greenwood, Allen and Leatherbury. Followed by Gallahan, Richardson, Dorsey. Greaves if he can ever stay healthy is in the mix. Then you have guys like Caleb Smith, Brandon Allen and Elliot