• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

1st Football Practice update

The team practiced under the lights on Sunday night. Sure, they would normally start around this team but with no more two-a-days, they've stretched out practices.

I focused on the offense this time. I think the D is still adjusting to different schemes. Also Reece Burnett was on the sidelines for a change, running the stairs (conditioning?). Good to see Quinn Cox finally out there on the D-line. Harps-Upshur also looked good. First-team D-Line looked like Cummings, Clifton Jones, Harps-Upshur and Malik Tyne. Kaniya Anderson was still out with a hamstring issue.

Also wanted to see John Tsimis, the WR from Rutgers. He was being held out but he had practiced the first week. I'm assuming they are being very careful with him after all the knee surgeries. Receiver appears to be the deepest position on the team. With Jabari Greenwood now in the fold, the competition for the top four spots is going to be intense, though I expect them to rotate about 7-9 players. Brent Richardson, Jabari Allen, Greenwood, Shane Leatherbury, Trey Kilgore, all look like the real deal. Add Ryan Rutkowski, Tsimis and Sam Gallahan fighting for slot WR, though Tsimis can do more if healthy. Then you add Morgan Scroggins, Noah Straub, Brandon Allen and true freshman Rodney Dorsey fighting for time. Should be fun.

It's also fun that the quarterback play looks strong. It wasn't great last season, even at practice. It was ok in the spring, though it was tough to tell because the defense was decimated. When given the time, Mahalak and Stover were excellent and Triston Smith has improved. The accuracy looked good in certain drills but when Klugh, McDade and company were playing in man coverage not a lot of guys could get open. That's when both can use their legs. Also good to see Ellis Knudson out there and around 270 pounds, running around and over people at fullback/tight end.

The O-line had Antonio Harris at left tackle, Kauffman at right tackle, Carnesale at center, Ventemiglia at right tackle and r-freshman Aaron Gryzmkowski (6-4, 260) at left guard. D'Mitrif Francis was with the second team but I assume he'll move up since he's only been here for about a week.

Running backs look like Shane Simpson and C.J. Williams. He's an absolute beast of a runner and pretty agile. But they kid that continues to impress is Platt. My goodness is he quick and elusive. But can he pass block? Always an issue with young backs. He's also pretty similar to Shane where Williams complements him well.

More later..

• Like 1

I wouldn't say everybody looks like a hero in practice. The quarterback play the last few seasons has been erratic to say the least. Even in practice.

No disrespect for the body of work that is being done in practice.I like what these young men bring to the table.Season after season I have seen talent not being used guys standing on the sidelines that can play.I want to see Towson win not just for one season but every season and that takes player development.Players need game speed situations hard to get that in practice.