• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

My thoughts

I understand the venting and it's well-deserved. There is still a longshot that we make it with 7 wins if beat Elon down there because they will be top 5 but we're not beating good teams by defending like that. You give up 233 yards passing and 175 rushing yards and that's just not good enough unless you play great on offense. We didn't but we weren't going to against Maine. That team is a lot better than Stony Brook. Much better defensive line. Strong guys in coverage but I thought what Flacco said was interesting. When he was scrambling, they stayed in man and there was nobody open. So are guys coming back to get the ball? Are we back to the fact that we have no dominant No. 1 receiver? Maybe so.

But it starts with both lines. Our D-line is nothing special. We knew that but I thought we would be able to move Deberry around and he's just not getting to the quarter. Ferguson was slow but he got the ball off quickly due to poor coverage. When we covered better, the pass rush has go to get to him. We dialed the pressure up in the second half until their last drive. When it mattered, Ferguson went after Gillette four straight times. One, I thought was an obvious push off that they didn't call but after two, I would have got Shuman or Vincent back in. Our DBs never turn around when the ball is in the air. Keon Pay might our best cover guy because he's a former safety who knows how to play the ball.

It goes back to recruiting. Maine should not be outrecruiting us for OL and DL. I don't care if we don't have the practice facility yet or the football-only fieldhouse. That's something that is needed for the future, whoever coaches the team. 

I was very negative in the chat because it was right after the game. I'm still devastated after this game. One of the toughest losses I've covered in the last 29 years. I just didn't realize who devastating the Delaware loss was but if you listened to the conference call (CAA) or the recap show, he kept mentioning how the team hadn't gotten over it. Not Sunday, Monday, Tuesday or even Wednesday. That was not a good sign  

Even if they are over the Delaware loss, that doesn't explain how they are going to beat Elon. Now with experimenting on cornerbacks, as we are now rotating Shuman, Gillette, McCants and Vincent. McCants at least makes aggressive plays even if he gets beat every now and then. 

We have been outcoached again. In terms of talent there is no reason we shouldn’t be behind jmu and Delaware they our are peers. 

19% of teams make the playoffs. We play in a top conference at this level. 4 years of not making it means time to move on