• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Turnovers cost MBB against La Salle, 57-51

https://towsontigers.com/news/2018/12/22/mens-basketball-tigers-fall-short-in-la-salle-setback.aspx

Well, committing 19 turnovers is never a good thing against anybody including a 1-10 La Salle team. They were certainly better than Tulane, who lost to lowly Alabama A&M in the first game. But La Salle, with Pookie Powell back from injury, is now 2-10 after beating Towson for the Battle of the Boardwalk Classic from Atlantic City on Saturday. Brian Fobbs just didn't have it today and T.J. Howard had six turnovers and no assists after a solid game against Tulane. It's time to go to Jakigh Dottin as the starting point guard. His range is limited to about five feet but for the most part, he takes care of the ball.

And poor Solomon U. Unfortunately, he'll be remembered for this play today that's trending world wide.

Some comments from Skerry postgame

"Held them to 29% shooting and won by 9 on the glass. Our guard play is not good, (It's about) Taking care of the ball. Jakigh was good. Going to be a good player. Consistent DNA, is about winning. Look at the turnovers. It's Frustrating. Give La Salle credit. Our defensive rebounding has been so good. We have to get guys better through film work, practice. Have to figure out if we're good enough to take care of the ball. If you look at our numbers defensively and rebounding are off the charts since the Bahamas. (Turnovers) are mind-boggling. TJ had no assists and six turnovers. Have to find guys. We need patience. Guys are catching the ball with One hand. Not playing off of two feet"

"Hopefully at some point, it's going to resonate. I'm more concerned that certain guys have to look in the mirror. Just not good enough when the ball is in your hands and just throw it to the other team. Shame on our league for starting game this early (Elon). It is what it is. Have to practice on Christmas night" "We're getting better, (but we) have to take care of the basketball"

Sanders played 20 minutes & took 1 shot. He fouled out...again. What’s that, 5 or 6x already, after 12 games?

Howard 1-7 from the field, 6 turnovers & no assists.

I’m all for rebounding & hard nosed D, but the object of the game is to score at least 1 more point than the other guy. We just don’t have anyone other than Fobbs who can score. Oh well, onto conference play.

12 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Sanders played 20 minutes & took 1 shot. He fouled out...again. What’s that, 5 or 6x already, after 12 games?

Howard 1-7 from the field, 6 turnovers & no assists.

I’m all for rebounding & hard nosed D, but the object of the game is to score at least 1 more point than the other guy. We just don’t have anyone other than Fobbs who can score. Oh well, onto conference play.

When we weren't turning the ball over, a lot of shots were rimming in and out. Save for Fobbs. who had many short shots. Maybe he was tired. When Dottin, who can't shoot past five feet, is your leading scorer or tied for leading scorer, you are in trouble. I also think we should run more. We said we had to slow it down because we were committing too many turnovers. Now we're slowing it down at a snail's pace and committing turnovers. Also need to go back to at least a zone press, no small guard can throw it over Dennis' long arms. That's a way you can score points, off of turnovers. Even if you get 3-4 a game off turnovers, that's 6-8 points. Ahh, I can only dream of scoring points off of turnovers. Forcing turnovers instead of us turning the ball over.

I’m not an expert by any stretch, but it seems to me we have a very poor 1/2 court offense, which generally seems to consist of running a weave over the top of the key until the shot clock runs down & we chuck up a prayer, which more often than not isn’t answered. So, I would advocate for getting out & running whenever possible. With our rebounding (Tunstall may wind up being 1 of the leading rebounders in the country) it would increase our limited chances of scoring & perhaps wear the opposition down. 

14 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I’m not an expert by any stretch, but it seems to me we have a very poor 1/2 court offense, which generally seems to consist of running a weave over the top of the key until the shot clock runs down & we chuck up a prayer, which more often than not isn’t answered. So, I would advocate for getting out & running whenever possible. With our rebounding (Tunstall may wind up being 1 of the leading rebounders in the country) it would increase our limited chances of scoring & perhaps wear the opposition down. 

We ran a lot off of defensive rebounds against Tulane yesterday until we started milking the clock with a big lead. I think we don't have an identity. Sanders is the only true low post threat and he's always in foul trouble. Some of his fouls are just ridiculous reach-ins and it seems like he's always tired. Al has been a bit better lately but he's so methodical, it takes an hour for him to get off a shot. Solomon is getting there but is a work-in-progress. Yes, we run a weave for 15 seconds and then if we can't get the ball inside or can't force a drive, we're throwing up a shot late in the shotclock. Ugly basketball. That's why we should run, not because it didn't work in the Bahamas. And I'm saying judiciously. If you are up 10, then slow it down some. But if you are having trouble scoring, why not push the rock? And if Fobbs is off and Howard can't shoot or pass, try doing something different. Trap in the backcourt. Zone press. Solomon, Betrand and Dottin can run for days.