• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Quotes from the Hopkins game

Towson Lax press conference
Alex Woodall
Last year, myself and the team, we were disappointed. I just realized we needed to change our whole culture. We worked harder and I lost some weight. Last year, I played ok against them but couldn't make much of an impact because I wasn't quick. I wanted to make a bigger impact running up and down the field to get some points. We tried to focus on what we do because we didn't have much of a scouting report on them.

Tyler Canto on learning he was a starter in goal
I learned yesterday. I was just trying to relax. Our D played great out there. They forced them to take low-percentage shots and allowed me to make saves. I felt really good out there thanks to defense.

Canto on new rules
We have to push the ball up the field. We have a short time to do it (20 seconds). We were pretty successful on the clears. 

Koby Smith
Coming out of the first quarter, we had a slow start. As soon as we hit that second quarter. we put it together. In preseson, we worked hard with our new coach Grossi.

Koby on playing close defense
I played a lot of close defense back in high school. Last year was my first time playing LSM. Playing close is more comfortable for me. Being able to get down the field quick and shoot my shot.

Sunday on his team
Alex was phenomenal on face-offs. Canto did a great job to get us in transition. We exceucted the gameplan perfectly. The guys moved the ball well.

Sunday on difference between offense this year and last
We're quicker and lot more free-flowing. In year's past, we are a 6x6 team and wanted to possess the ball. We would grind defenses down. Coach G is letting us play free out there. We're all excited about how he is letting us do what we're capable of.

Sunday on early rough start
There was a little bit of nerves. Some guys didn't play much last year. We were getting good looks early and didn't capitalize. We're super-athletic at midfield and we took advantage of it. 

Nads opening statement
It's great to start out the 2019 season with a win. I honestly didn't know what to expect. I knew we had experience and good players but had an opportunity to play some full field stuff in the preseason. Good to see our guys take advantage of it. Strong effort today.

On whether he saw this kind of firepower
Coming out of the fall, yes. We scrimmaged Navy and Richmond in the fall. After the third quarter against Navy, we had 40-50 shots. We're trying to play with more tempo from defense to offense. Trying to play a little bit more assertive on the offensive end. We're encouraging guys to spin the ball. Extra possesssions came from defense to offense and Alex on face-offs.

On what he saw in Canto
We scrimmaged Bucknell on Jan. 26 and started Jake Stout. Jake was solid and Canto came in during the fourth quarter and did well. He just seemed more composed and he started against Virginia. He's 6-6 and still has a lot to work on. Fills up the net. After the first quarter, he played well. I was a bit concerned. 

That's key for a tall goalie to handle the low shots because he's goint to see them. He does cover up those angles pretty well. That was a big confidence booster for him.

On Woodall
I think it's big. With the shotclock now, with an 80-second clock. It wears down a defense when you can win face-offs. It was impressive. Couldn't be happier.

On swings
Alex had a very strong first half and we took advantage in the second quarter. We've been on the other end of that without a good face-off guy and it wears down the defense. We reined it back in defensively. We need to buckle down and play stronger man to man. We rallied around each other.

On ground balls and toughness
I believe so. The mentality, esp. the seniors, those guys are gritty, hard-nose. The seniors have taken the reigns. These guys are hungry. They compete in practice. They are edgy and gritty. That's our DNA as a program.

On Koby Smith
Koby last year, he had two weeks of pratice. Now he has had full year with fall ball. He's a great athlete. Ultra competitive. He's a kid that sometimes you have to rein him in to calm down. He's going to compete and go after guys. Sometimes he has to play with control. He can add a spark. He can make a mistake and respond with a positive play.

On shotclock
I don't know. Everybody is adjusting to it. For us, we planned on playing this way. We knew we had some good athletes in the midfiel. We got exposed by teams like UMass who pushed in transition. We learned our lessons there. We have to be ready for that. We have the players in the middle of the field that can get back on defense or sparked us on offense. The shotclock forced us to be more aggressive.

• Like 1