• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Quotes from MD game

Ryan Stover
Watched a lot of film. We got them out of the man with some play-action. Did well up front with their pressure.

We came out pretty slow but I think in the 2nd or 3rd drive we were cool.

They were doing some stuff up front, they would trick offensive lines. We were changing protections. We moved the ball pretty well on some long drives.

When you're in a hole like that, to get on the board, it was a fairly long drive, to put that together it got the whole team going at least for the first half.

Monty Fenner
We missed too many tackles throughout the game. We need to wrap up. They were bigger. We just have to make the play.
They were scoring on arm tackles.

Stover on missed TD to Joe Green
I just felt it was coming in around me. The last second he was running wide open. I thought he was going to sit. Just missed communication on our part.

Rob on Stover
(We knew he would start by)Thursday and we figured that we couldn't get Morgan ready to play. He didn't play badly.
It's tough for a redshirt freshman to make his first start against a team that will probably ranked in the top 25
very soon. He's a heady kid and did some really good stuff today. He also did some bonehead stuff. You guys covered
us last year...I'm feeling a bit better.

On Stover's pick six
For us to beat them or any BCS money five school, we are going to need to play damn-near perfect. We did stuff that Texas couldn't do and Texas has 50 billion dollars and we have 15 cents. But we're going to be alright. I have to get these guys healthy. When you take offensive guys that are working very hard, they are not built to tackle DBs. Ryan knew he screwed up.

On freshmen
I know our guys. I know how good they can be as individuals and groups. But what I know about them doesn't mean squat until they believe it themselves. Their confidence level is going to go up as soon as they watch film.

On running game
They are better than we are. For us to be successful. I have five offensive linemen that are good enough to compete against them. They have 13 defensive linemen that are better than us. So we're going to struggle unless we are perfect. We ran with some authority and tempo against a real good football team. I'm not all banged up about that.

We gave up over 300 yards rushing. We have guys wrapped up and don't finish the play. When everything is right and people are in the right spot and still don't make the plays, that annoys the hell out of me. That's how you grow and learn. Everybody is so afraid to make a mistake and then won't admit it. The offense is growing, learning from adversity.

On offense
It's really hard to do when pieces start breaking and you don't have a rhythm yet. Losing Morgan (Mahalak) took us out of our rhythm completely. We had a nice gameplan and Shane Leatherbury had a lot do with it. He was gone and it's not like I have three of those. The true freshmen did great but also did some dumb stuff. He'll be 10 times the players he was next week. I just don't have enough of them. Need to get them healthy.

We made plays on the ball when it was in the air this week. Didn't last week. Imagine what you will do when we get in the league if we can do that against Maryland. Pat Toomey did a much better job this week. Our offensive line couldn't block last week against Morgan State and they showed some improvement this week. We're not where we need to be...

There are some dudes on that team. They are exceptional players. I live in the state of Maryland. For one day of the year, I don't like them very much. After this game is over, I'm thrilled to death that is the team that represents the state of Maryland extremely well. They are going to get better, we're going to get better.