• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB picked fourth in the CAA by Lindy's

I picked up the first college hoops mag and it has us fourth. That's about right I guess with four returning starters but two of the top three scorers gone (JD, Moto). Terrible write-up though has Morman and as nice one-two punch at the point? Also has Morman as a sophomore in write up but a senior below. Interesting stat has Morsell at 51.7 percent inside the arc should maybe show he should not settle for as many threes.

The top three from Lindy's are Charleston, UNCW and Elon.

If you had to guess, where do you see Prophete playing?  He was a prolific scorer in HS, but we don't have a backup to Starr at PG, do we?

I think this team could be a year away. In 18-19, we'll have Sanders, Gotham, Tunstall & Thomas up front. That's a pretty good group of mid-major bigs. 

As for this upcoming season, we've got to replace about 25 ppg & about 12 or 13 boards, with the departure of Moto & Davis. I'm counting on ZM to pick up some of those points, along with Gorham. Also hoping Starr, with a year under his belt, will be a little more productive. McNeill could be an X factor; I think he's capable of scoring 8-10 ppg, but sometimes last year it seemed like he disappeared at times.

Be interesting to see if any of the freshmen are redshirted. Seems like it would be tough for Drayton and Ingram to get minutes.

Prophete is likely the backup point guard behind Starr. But I know they like Van Rolle, who played well in Canada. Have to see more of practice in October but that five-game stretch has to really help the freshmen get acclimated. I don't know if they are a year away because lose Morsell, Keith, Starr, and Morman. I do wish we had one more shooter and another big but I think top four is doable. Whether Zane can be the big-time scorer we've been missing is a big question.

I'm not sure how much of a big deal losing EK & Starr after this season will be. Unless one or both ramp up this year, we're only talking about replacing what, around 11ppg? Now, losing Morsell & Morman after this year is a bit of a different proposition, as that could require replacing 25 or so ppg. Of course, I'm getting ahead of myself, but I believe it's critical to bring in a quality recruiting class next fall, with 3 ships still open (Betrand, the kid out of Philly has already verbally committed).

I would love to see Morsell go out with a flourish this season, & average something like 15-17 ppg, but I'm not terribly optimistic in that regard. If he doesn't, and frankly even if he does, there's still a void to be filled in terms of point production. I agree, a big question to be answered this season is if ZM can meaningfully help fill that void.

It's not a big deal replacing points; it's a big deal trying to find a point guard again. Hopefully Prophete is the guy next season but I'm sure they are bringing in another point guard. Assuming Martin starts this season (he may not), we are going to need four new starters. I think Sanders starts in the middle with Gorham at the 4, Martin at the 2 and then who knows at the 3 and 1. It's way too early to think that next season is the one because we are adding five new players including Sanders, another point guard, another two (Bertrand), another big and and another wing. Ultimately, you need Prophete to step up and probably another guy like Drayton or Ingram. I think we add another transfer (maybe juco) to play right away.

On 9/10/2017 at 5:10 PM, mat1992 said:

I picked up the first college hoops mag and it has us fourth. That's about right I guess with four returning starters but two of the top three scorers gone (JD, Moto). Terrible write-up though has Morman and as nice one-two punch at the point? Also has Morman as a sophomore in write up but a senior below. Interesting stat has Morsell at 51.7 percent inside the arc should maybe show he should not settle for as many threes.

The top three from Lindy's are Charleston, UNCW and Elon.

write up may be off but I cant disagree with that 1-4.  I can see us finish anywhere between 3-6 realistically possibly 2, but our early caa schedule is beyond brutal