• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Would hate to waste the last scholarship but...

Pat Spencer wants to play basketball and probably not at Loyola. The nation's top lacrosse player hasn't played since HS but has played in some summer leagues and is a great athlete at around 6-4. Sounds like he wants to go to a big-time program but who would give up a scholarship for a kid that has no real film? Why not stay local and walk-on somewhere to play right away.

https://watchstadium.com/news/lacrosse-star-pat-spencer-has-one-shot-to-play-college-basketball-and-hes-taking-it-05-10-2019/

I read that article. Very interesting. He averaged 14ppg in HS. His brother will be an incoming freshman on Loyola’s basketball team in the fall; big scorer in HS. Pat gets good reviews from some notable local basketball players. Did I read that he dunked on Kurk Lee? Pretty cool, even though Kurk is a bit long in the tooth at this point. So, I would assume he’ll walk on at Loyola, if he gets clearance to do so. Just think, if he played with them in the fall of 2020 it would be the Spencer brothers vs the Uyaelunmo brothers

He's not expected to play at Loyola because he wants to play at a higher level of basketball. Again, who knows how really good he is just because he put up big numbers in Summer League. Dunking over a 50-year old Kurk Lee is not super-impressive but I know he's athletic just from watching him on the lacrosse field and hearing about his basketball exploits in the past. Doesn't mean he's ready to tear up the ACC. Sounds like he has a very high opinion of himself, which helps.

As a wise man once said, “it ain’t bragging if you can do it.” Now, as far as basketball, who knows how he would fare against D1 competition. If I were any school, I wouldn’t burn a scholarship on him, but I’d certainly give him strong walk on consideration