• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

O'Neill kicks 42-yarder to give Towson a 16-14 win over SFU

Guys, still waiting on the full box score. It was that kind of night. TSN audio went off early in the game and I don't think it ever came back so I don't know about injuries, especially the one to Shane. Didn't see Keon Paye out there or Shane Leatherbury. Not even Bryce Carter though thought Malik Tyne was pretty good. Has to be better against the run.

Really disappointed on that last defensive stand where the Red Flash went down the field on one big play against Lyrics who also gave up the TD pass. That was just poor coverage. Other than that, thought D played OK. Their QB Bear Fenimore made some nice throws. He was 13 of 22 for 191 yards with 2 TDs and one pick (JPD). Overall, allowed 290 yards to a pretty explosive offense and we amassed 27 first downs, 454 total yards, 247 passing yards and 207 rushing yards. Stover led all rushers with 75 yards. Thought Shane ran ok before he was injured but also fumbled when he was stripped from behind. Stover was inaccurate at times and fumbles twice. But damn the kid showed great poise in that last drive and if given the time, he can be effective.

But that's the problem. If you can't get the ball in from the five yard line twice, that's not just the RB. It's the OLine, FB and TE. We actually looked better at times against Maryland on offense. Just couldn't hit any big plays tonight but look, SFU probably took them away. Jabari Greenwood was sensational with 13 catches for 151 yards and a long of 24. I still think Brent Richardson should get the ball on screens and short passes more because he can run after the catch. Good to see John Tsimis on the field and unfortunately he took a shot to the head over the middle. That penalty probably gave us a chance to win though Stover had to make two more plays to Nick Gray and Greenwood to win the game. Not sure what has happened to Trey Kilgore, just once catch tonight and was banged up. Was expecting Gallahan to return tonight but he didn't play. Just when it looked as though we had tremendous depth at WR, we lose Leatherbury, Gallahan and Tsimis, who returned tonight. Gallahan has missed first three games. Leatherbury got hurt at Md. Probably missing another big WR.

Thought this was awesome news. First Dominican to play in the NFL on Sunday? Let's hope. What a great story if that occurs. From Towson to the CFL to the NFL?

Now hearing that Shane could and should play next week. I guess they were keeping him out of the second half for precautionary reasons. We desperately need him because while I thought Platt ran hard, he doesn't have that big-play ability that Shane has. Maybe after another year or two in the weight room. Reminds me of Noah Read, who was very strong for his size at 5-7ish, 180. Would also like to see Kobe Young get some time though he's still learning the position after starting out as a DB.

Shane has had a rough start thus far and that fumble was bad. But he bounced back after that and seemed to be running like the Shane of last season. If we can get him healthy and get Francis back on the offensive line at guard or tackle, I think we'll be set. Shocked that we've stayed with the same five OL in the first three games but what do I know? Just a blogger covering the team for 16 years on this blog and others.

Ok, now that I have player participation, did see that Bryce Carter did play and had two tackles and a TFL. Tyne though with a solid game with one sack, four tackles and 2.5 TFLs. Just one sack though for the entire team is not a good sign. We have got to get more pressure though I thought Grant Udinski had one or at least was close. Diondre Wallace led the Tigers with 11 tackles and had a forced fumble on that punt return but didn't secure the fumble. JPD added 7 tackles and a pick. Ellis Knudson also played during that wildcat look that didn't work. Not sure if he was in at TE/HB. Guessing if Stover went down, they'd probably go back to him at QB is Mahalak is still out.

One more thing I have to add to this rambling post. After watching USC/Texas, another classic. They have a freshman QB Gallagher and he made a crucial mistake fumbling the ball near the goal line. But man what guts and he makes incredible throws. Stover is only going to get better and his running style reminds me a little of Grant Enders, who may have been faster. I thought Stover showed some wheels though on running down the sideline. That's something you can't teach, 6-4, 220 and the ability to break tackles. Hate to say it, but he's our big back. Give him more time in the pocket and he'll be something special down the line. Take care of the football and we can win some games in the CAA. Kind of like that Pistol formation and I think that's the way to go until either the line improves and gels or we make a few personnel changes.

• Like 1

If we can find a way to somehow come out of next week with a W, that would be huge, to come home 3-1. Tall order though. I'm not all that impressed with the OL, we don't have a RB who can move the pile & while I'm bullish on Stover, he's going to make freshman mistakes on occasion.

As for the D, I'm underwhelmed with the pass rush & SFU's RB might have had a 100 yd game, if they had fed him the ball more.

Of course it could be worse. We could be Morgan State, who is 0-3 & been outscored 101-0. Yikes 

Once again we have two RB that can move the pile but you got to use them at this point you can at least try them nothing to lose your QB is the leading rusher on the team .this is what's going to happen in the caa they gonna put a spy on stover or the gonna load the box and see if he can beat them with his arm I am a coach that's what I would do . I said this before scott is killing you starting defense in practice for any insiders in this room ask to see the film you have 2 backs 230 pounds apiece can't do no worst I love the way shane runs but body is not built for the pounding his frame is not made for the weight he is carrying which leads to injury.We need stover to stay healthy so needs to run less

One other thing coaching is not rocket science all the X and O have been done before just gotta be managed right get your ego out the damn way and play hard nose football that's speaking as a coach