• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TSU88

Villanova post mortem

First, & most importantly, I hope the TU player who got taken off on a stretcher is okay (couldn’t tell who it was from the stands). An injury like that puts everything in perspective. At the end of the day, these are 18-21 year olds, playing a game. Nothing more.

As for the game itself, what is there to say about the offense that hasn’t already been said. In a word, it is inept, likely one of the worst in the country. While I see some glimmers of hope in Stover, he seems susceptible to turnovers, which I guess is to expected from a freshman QB. In defense of him, we have no running game whatsoever. I saw Simpson on the sidelines in a walking cast; he ain’t coming back anytime soon. Not that it would necessarily matter with this OL. As for the receivers, I counted what, 4-5 drops tonight. The rest of the time they had no discernible separation. 

As for the D, for the most part they played well, albeit against a backup QB who isn’t much of a passer. When Nova had its starting QB in for the 1st drive of the game, he went through us like a hot knife through butter, including an inexplicable 3rd & 28 conversion.

Even the normally reliable FG kicker was bad tonight, with a missed XP & FG.

As I’ve asked before, other than maybe Rhode Island, where is there another W going to come from this season?

We need a new coaching staff, but that’s not happening. I wonder if maximum 4 win seasons are now the norm?

Very disappointing tonight, not that this was a shocking loss. I hate to keep going back to Morgan, but if he's quarterbacking, we win tonight and possibly against Stony Brook. But we were supposed to better at the backup position this year and Stover just continues to make too many mistakes. Turns the ball over at an alarming rate after not turning it over last week. Who knows when Shane is coming back but we can't replace him. Now we have two true freshmen returning kicks in Dorsey and Coby Tippett. How do you win games that way?

And the offensive line? The special teams, what the hell? Toomey kicks is to the 20 and they return it 53 yards? That was the second time he kicked it short. Why? Was he doing that on purpose? Why are we going to the wildcat (again) on fourth and short with C.J. Wlilliams? Why did Kobe Young, a fairly explosive young runner, not play tonight? I was told it was not because the fumble last week but because Williiams had a bigger role.

Very painful watching this game tonight. I wanted to walk out of the press box tonight when the score was 17-9. That's not an outlandish score but I felt we had no chance even down eight. Not when your kicker misses a 42-yarder off the crossbar. 

I wish I could something positive, that the team will turn it around after the bye week, but I can't.

As for JPD, that was incredibly scary, Diondre Wallace accidentally knocked him out. Heard he was talking and awake. Don't want to speculate on the injury.

You raised a point I neglected to mention in my initial post...the ridiculous wildcat play call with Williams. It didn’t work against Morgan State, it didn’t work tonight, & it won’t work in the future. Can you also explain to me why we’re attempting a FG down by 8, in the 4th Q? (Which naturally we missed). Even if he makes it, we still need to score a TD to win.

Maybe we’d be 4-1 with Mahalak at QB, but obviously we’ll never know. After 2 straight years of suffering serious injuries in the first game of the year, what was an exciting transfer when announced now just appears to be potential that might never be realized. Meanwhile, my patience with Stover is wearing thin. But plenty of blame to go around-receivers who treat the football like they’re Superman & it’s Kryptonite, OL who can’t seem to open a hole. Round up the usual suspects. 

Frankly, if I were Mahalak, if I am able to graduate before next season, I’d forego my last season of eligibility, at least here, and try to find an FCS or D-II program closer to home where maybe I won’t get knocked out in the 1st game of the season.

And Jeff Miller will probably redshirt next season, assuming he doesn’t reconsider his verbal commitment 

Assuming Jeff Miller comes, he should redshirt next season. But if Stover doesn't improve and Morgan doesn't return, well he's not coming here to sit. He's coming to turn this program around. And to be honest, at least the OL pass blocks well. Everybody is back save for Antonio Harris. If I'm OL coach JD, I'm trying to get some time for his replacement, which I thought would be Andrew Garnett, who is listed at right tackle. So honestly, I don't know what the hell is going on with this program.

Program is going backwards, plain & simple. What should have been great momentum on the heels of the 2013 season has been completely squandered. By my count, we’re 17 W’s & 21 L’s since then, with losses to Central Connecticut State, Rhode Island & Dartmouth, & squeaker wins against such powerhouses as Rhode Island, Morgan State, Delaware State & St. Francis.

Granted, there have been injuries, but the one constant is the coaching staff. 

I think a lot of the problem is player development. When you jamming the box like teams do against Towson and you can't run gotta use your tight ends exploit the match ups if they load the box that means a db is going to half to cover the tight end it's a quick pass with the tight end having the size advantage. Towson is not winning because the staff is stubborn.none of the teams outside of Maryland showed me anything spectacular.sometimes you just gotta tell your boss no disrespect but you are wrong.i think some of the coaches are scared to tell Ambrose he wrong Towson should only have one lost at this point bye week scrap the depth chart and the plan that they have and start all over

Poor X & O game decisions (idiotic wildcat play, just one example) combined with not developing the players being recruited, and/or not recruiting the right players to begin with. An OC who, IMHO, is not competent, but has the job through nepotism.  Mix & stir & pop it in your easy bake oven & what comes out when the timer goes off is a litany of tired excuses & most likely a third losing season out of the last four. Maybe Mahalak comes back & resurrects the season, but, absent that, we’re looking at 3-8 or 2-9.