• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Depth at linebacker

My biggest concern, if DeBerry is out for an extended period of time, is depth at linebacker. We really couldn't afford an injury, especially at inside linebacker, because we had very little experience behind DeBerry and Heyward. Personally, maybe it's too late, but I'd go back to a 4/3 scheme. We now have tremendous depth up front with the addition of Ron Johnson who can play inside or outside at 6-3, 280. Gibbs can play outside as well but he's over 290. Bowman, Carter, Tibo, Vinny Schafer, Gyeni and Alexander are all in the mix. We can go three deep at nose guard with Danagogo and not lose too much. 

But at linebacker, I'm a bit worried. Christian Dixon and Chiz U. are solid but inexperienced. We could move Paye to inside linebacker but who plays outside? Lambert and Tyne, who missed the last game? Nygil Johnson would be the only depth and he never really has seen any serious time. If you go back to a 4-3, you can play Paye, Heyward and Chiz/Dixon. Maybe move Tyne back to DE.

Another option is to play Troy Vincent at linebacker. He played there in camp but at 5-10, 205, he's undersized. Maybe in passing situations. Mantriel Reaves is another option and he looked pretty good against The Citadel, but he's a former safety and Vincent is more of a nickel. Daniels is going to need to be creative if DeBerry is out. Let's hope his injury is not serious.

I’m hopeful that Deberry  is gonna be ok. If not, the younger guys will have to take the next step and fill that spot.  I think the plan with Ricky was to move him all over the place in the front 7.  I don’t think you will be able to do that with the young guys.

It is still a concern because of our lack of experience though I know they really like Dixon and Chiz. I believe they would rotate both. But if we lose one of them, then we’re looking at a true freshman as a backup. So let’s hope Ricky’s injury is minor.