• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB to host Bucknell on Oct 28

Looking over Bucknell's MBb website, my impression is we're in for a tough match. Possibly the two best players in the Patriot League with their PF & center, both seniors. Their 6'-10" center averaged 15.5ppg & 7.8rpg last year, and looks 2B the real deal. The 6'-7" PF was MVP in their conference tournament. The 1, 2 & 3 spots are all returning starters. The Bison have dominated their conference in MBb the last 7 years or so. They lost 80-86 to #4 WVU in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament earlier this year..

How do we challenge these guys? My guess is our guards and SF will have to step up and w luck, balance things out in the Tigers' favor. I'm assuming our secret weapon this season will be guard depth, and so perhaps we can press them and w so many substitutions tire them out.. Up front, we'll have to do our best to avoid foul trouble, and try to retain our rebounding forte of the last few years. It'll be interesting to see how EK handles these equally seasoned players, who have the height advantage and appear very skilled.. For what it's worth, we can try to take the meager advantage of having the home court.

None of this really matters of course in an exhibition game. I think we'll play our style. Our biggest player is Alex Thomas (6-9, 265), who can match up with any big man. But he's been out with an injury and not sure if he plays in this one. Even if he does, they need to be careful with him since he's only true center.

True, an exhibition game doesn’t chalk up in the official W/L column; plus you don’t want to risk any injuries just now, like with Thomas as you pointed out. But I hope the players will try to show their best game, and believe Skerry and the Bison coach won’t want to come out on the embarrassing & demoralizing end of too lopsided an affair, even if only an exhibition. They’ll want to get a different perspective on the new guys, experiment and test various offensive, defensive schemes. And if it’s advertised as a game with referees, and a (suggested) cost of $5, I think it’s fair to assume the coaches are going to gauge something from it. Great to have this rare October opportunity! Together with the Canadian trip, these guys have been literally “on the ball” quite a lot since last March in keeping the rust off.

Only an exhibition, but hopefully a good opportunity to assess where the team is, by virtue of playing a quality mid-major, in Bucknell. A win ould be a nice way to go into the opener vs ODU, which is 2 weeks from this Friday. First & foremost though is to come out of the exhibition game with no injuries 

Edited by TSU88

Very good opportunity to gauge what we've got going into the season even if Thomas isn't 100%.  A number of teams are using the 'hurricane relief' loophole to play these open exhibitions against D-1 teams rather than the usual D-3 fodder.  Kansas played Missouri on Sunday in a high-scoring affair in front of a packed house in KC that raised $2 million and UCONN is playing or has played Providence in a similarly-constructed exhibition.