• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

Gray, Betrand lead shorthanded Tigers over GW, 72-58 (story)

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=282545

Juwan Gray scored 19 points and sophomore Allen Betrand added 18 to lead Towson to a 72-58 opening night win over George Washington at SECU Arena.  Freshman Jameer Nelson Jr. led the Colonials with 15 points. Towson played without two players due to injury: Nick Timberlake and Nakye Sanders. Tobias Harris was also not dressed or on the bench.

Freshman Charles Thompson got the start over Gray at power forward and scored four points with six boards in 24 minutes. Freshman point guard Jason Gibson came off the bench to score 11 points on three 3-pointers. He also had three assists and no turnovers. Sophomore point guard Jakigh Dottin got the start and had four points, four assists and no turnovers. 

Towson shot 7-of-12 from three-point range (58%) and outrebounded GW by one, 31-30.

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=282545

Lots of positives tonight. I thought the PG play was really good-think they had 7 assists combined, with few if any TO’s. Gibson was Mr. outside, draining three 3’s, Dottin was Mr. inside, scoring on a couple of drives to the basket. The game was not too big for Gibson at all, & I think he held his own on D. Loved Gray’s game. Nice combo of athleticism and ability to hit the 3. He seemed to have a really good court sense. 

Betrand was impressive. When I saw the team practice back during the summer, my takeaway was that Betrand might be poised to make a big improvement from his freshman to sophomore year. For 1 night at least, I was right.

Typical Tunstall game-7 boards and a couple baskets for good measure, including 2 dunks. Thompson missed some good close looks at the rim, but will only get better. 6 boards & 6 points is fine with me.

Nice to have the luxury of a double digit W when Fobbs only scores 12 points, though I think he had 5 assists & 5 boards.  Was surprised Solomon U. was a non-factor tonight.

When Sanders & Timberlake come back, we’ll have a nice 10-man rotation. Neither were on crutches or in a walking boot, so hopefully they’ll both be back sooner than later. Overall, an intriguing combination of size, athleticism (4 dunks tonight, that I recall) and a few guys (Gray, Fobbs, Gibson, Betrand & hopefully Timberlake) who can shoot the 3. 

Howard was not in uniform or on the bench in street clothes = more minutes & opportunities for Betrand & Howard going forward 

Edited by TSU88

Comments from Skerry:

"Proud of my guys. A good win over an Atlantic 10 team that is very well-coached. I really like our group a lot. We have a long way to go and it's a long season. This group is willing to take on strain from each other. We have a lot of guys banged up. (Betrand) missed about eight days of practice with a concussion. He came back for the last four. Gibson only practiced the last two days. He was out with a concussion. Have a couple of other guys banged up. Solomon just had his knee drained. He hasn't practiced save for four or five days. If we get healthy, we have some upside. We'll get better. It's a different team in terms of unselfishness and ball movement. It's still a committed group defensively. Thought we had a good push at the end of the first half to give us separation that carried us. (Betrand) had a big offseason and will make a big jump. I told you guys last season that we were trying to get this guy (Gray) eligible for a reason. He gives us a weapon we haven't had, shooting and scoring the ball. It's only one game. 

Status of three players?

"All day to day. We're hopeful at any point. It's been challenging. We had no injuries in the summer. The fall was going pretty good and then we had a scrimmage against George Mason with just six. We only had eight tonight (scholarships). Nothing season-ending, we believe. Hopeful to have them back Friday."

Betrand on ball movement

"We have a new point guard Jason Gibson. He moves the ball well. Jakigh moves the ball. We are buying in. Last year, we didn't really buy in. That's why we lost. Everybody is playing as a team. He trusted me with the ball. He's giving me the ball. The first year he (Skerry) didn't trust me as much because I was a freshman. He sees what I can do now. I can pass, play defense, get rebounds. I can do it all."

Gray on ball movement

"I think it just comes with maturity. Last year, we had 10 new players. With this offseason, we had a chance to play together a lot more. We had chances to develop relationships. That helps us on the court."

On rust factor for Gray and making first three

It felt good. All the work is starting to pay off.

Skerry on freshmen

"Not surprised. We really liked them when we recruited them. One thing we never care about. We trust our eyes. Don't care who is recruiting them. They've played well in practice. They are freshmen. Jason had a flop on a three. Charles missed a couple around the rim. They are good teammates.'

On playing a pressing GW team

"I was really proud of our guys. I was worried about taking care of the ball. One thing we didn't do well in our scrimmages, we didn't take care of the ball.

39 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Lots of positives tonight. I thought the PG play was really good-think they had 7 assists combined, with few if any TO’s. Gibson was Mr. outside, draining three 3’s, Dottin was Mr. inside, scoring on a couple of drives to the basket. The game was not too big for Gibson at all, & I think he held his own on D. Loved Gray’s game. Nice combo of athleticism and ability to hit the 3. He seemed to have a really good court sense. 

Betrand was impressive. When I saw the team practice back during the summer, my takeaway was that Betrand might be poised to make a big improvement from his freshman to sophomore year. For 1 night at least, I was right.

Typical Tunstall game-7 boards and a couple baskets for good measure, including 2 dunks. Thompson missed some good close looks at the rim, but will only get better. 6 boards & 6 points is fine with me.

Nice to have the luxury of a double digit W when Fobbs only scores 12 points, though I think he had 5 assists & 5 boards.  Was surprised Solomon U. was a non-factor tonight.

When Sanders & Timberlake come back, we’ll have a nice 10-man rotation. Neither were on crutches or in a walking boot, so hopefully they’ll both be back sooner than later. Overall, an intriguing combination of size, athleticism (4 dunks tonight, that I recall) and a few guys (Gray, Fobbs, Gibson, Betrand & hopefully Timberlake) who can shoot the 3. 

Howard was not in uniform or on the bench in street clothes = more minutes & opportunities for Betrand & Howard going forward 

Gray is certainly not your typical PS post player. He's not very physical but he can play. He's long and got his arms in the passing lanes with two steals. I also thought he had at least one block if not two that wasn't counted. Rebounding was great for him with four and had four turnovers in 28 minutes. I was stunned when Thompson started over him. I think Gray fits well with Tunstall. Thompson probably with Solly or Nakye when he returns. Nakye can actually shoot it ok from deep but you want his big body in the paint. 

I also think Gray can play some three and since we are so thin at guard, I can see Fobbs move to the 2 at times.

I think they looked very good tonight.  Good ball movement.  Solid shot selection.  Good defensive positioning for the most part 

Loved what I saw out of Gray and Gibson. 

Question for you long timers with good recall. 

Who was the last Freshman to score in double figures in the season opener.  

I have no clue but a shot in the dark...Jerome Hairston? 

More comments from the presser

Skerry

Our guys were really good this week. We got ready for it. We scheduled aggressively. We have great opportunities in the non-conference. We have to be keen to how we perform because that is going to help us later in the year. It's a good test. Only second time we had a home opener since I've been here. The more home games we can have, the better. It's just not always easy to get."

Betrand

I was anxious to play and show everybody that I can score the ball too. I'm not just a defender. 

Skerry on foul trouble in second half

"You don't want to give a team that is struggling to score confidence by getting to the foul line. They were twisting some ball screens in the middle of the floor. They were able to get in the lane. The kid Nelson was a very good point guard. We caused nine turnovers (GW had 15). We put a lot of pressure on him. This is the best group in terms of length and ability to move laterally, which should help us defensively."

Skerry on D

We always pride ourselves on being a good halfcourt defensive team. It still starts there. If we can guard...Hopefully I've done a better job as a coach. The better our offense runs, the easier it's going to make our defense. Limit the bad shots. Turnovers really hurt your transition defense. We've really tried to work on that in the offseason. Run better offense. Screen, Cut. Get a reverse so that it does help our defense. You hope you try and evolve. I couldn't get our group to win close games last year.  The guys worked incredibly hard bur we couldn't get over the hump. We changed some things offensively on Day 1 of the summer. We're in a decent place right now."

We have really good guys. The best working group we've had in the offseason. Really good group of guys. We have to play with an edge. We have challenge games coming up. We have to keep getting better. Hopefully at the end of February, we're at the point where we are close to where we want to be.

8 minutes ago, bucketsandbirds said:

I think they looked very good tonight.  Good ball movement.  Solid shot selection.  Good defensive positioning for the most part 

Loved what I saw out of Gray and Gibson. 

Question for you long timers with good recall. 

Who was the last Freshman to score in double figures in the season opener.  

I have no clue but a shot in the dark...Jerome Hairston? 

Hairston had six against Charleston in 2012. My guess would be either Tim Crossin oh wait. Kris Walden had 11 points in a 100-54 loss at Kansas in 2011.

10 hours ago, TSU88 said:

It was nice to spread the floor, shoot pretty well, and have guys drive without the paint being clogged!  Jamion Christian brings his "Havoc" defense, and while it was game 1 and they showed it a decent amount, they were still raw with it and a lot of new faces out there. Really liked how we handled the pressure for the most part.

Gray looked good, he hasn't played a D1 game in a year+. A guy like we haven't had before, who can stretch the floor and go inside a bit if need be.

Freshmen looked good. As did Betrand who played with confidence. I bet not having Howard and Timberlake on the bench, helped his game as he knew Skerry wouldn't take him out with one mistake.

Did we only take 1 TO the entire game?! And that was due to Gibson cramping up late in the game.

Winning against an A10 team (no matter how bad) by double digits without 3 key players is great!  Add on Fobbs had a pedestrian offensive game, makes it even better.  GW fans were upset they had to play a lowly CAA team on the road the start the season. And they were 6.5 point underdogs.

• Like 1