• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Football stuns Hens, 18-17 on Gallahan catch

http://delawarestatenews.net/sports/late-touchdown-lifts-towson-18-17-stunner-hens/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=destatenews

Guys, I went to Bateman's after the game. It was a long day and I bumped into some guys I covered over the years including the Corle brothers. Jason was inducted to the HOF on Friday night. 

I don't if this win makes the season, but it makes my day, week and month. There were offensive changes but they were due to injuries. I thought that version of the line with Andrew Garnett at left tackle and Antonio Harris at left guard was our best group of the season. Stover was barely touched all day when he dropped back. But that may have been due to injuries to Rusolillo and Zane Ventemigilia at both guard spots. But when Antonio Harris went down, Brandon Cassels stepped in and I don't think he's ever played.

So yeah, Ambrose used that line about holding the team together with glue and sticks. He's basically right. The interior D-line was down to about three guys. I didn't see N. Cook tonight and Cummings was injured. But they played their asses off. Bryce Carter was also very good with two sacks coming off the bench. And sure, they ran for over 200 yards. A lot came on that first drive of the second half where they just rammed it down or throw with all runs.

Honestly, the offense just needs playmakers. Stover threw two picks tonight. The first one on a second and one play-action into double coverage. The other that apparently was behind Leatherbury but it was shard to tell. I think Stover grew up in the fourth quarter and John Tsimis  helped the team out with the catch and run for a TD. That's something we haven't seen all year, a receiver breaking tackles to score a TD. How about just break a tackle to get a first down? Or some YAC? Nice to see Gallahan make that outstanding catch in the end zone. Thought he should have dove on the previous throw in the right corner. 

It was a great win but can't hide the issues. Special teams still not good with Toomey kicking two kicks out of bounds. I thought the last one with 35 seconds left was so egregious it might cost us. Freshman Coby Tippett appeared to lose the ball in the lights on that one muff of a fair catch. Yet our defense held Delaware to three points and that was the stand of the game.

More later...

Comments from RA, Stover and Clifton Jones 

Ambrose opening statement
I got a chance to look out the window today and see 100s, 1000s of Towson Alums having a great time. It warms my heart, for those who came, it was great seeing you, for those who stayed, I love you. Now, for my guys, I don’t think I can remember the last time I was more proud of a football team. They have been through a lot and they had every right to fall apart with today’s social media of having to be a rock-star. Mental toughness, oh yeah they have a ton of it, and it was a team effort. We said we were not going to let the moment be bigger than us anymore and whatever bad happened we were going to rise above it. I could sit here all night and talk about how proud of them and it would be enough time. I love them, I really do, and for them alums, Homecoming vs Delaware, hope everyone had a good time.

Stover on Last throw-

We had 30 seconds to score a touchdown and win a football game. I looked out and we had Jabari but they had their best secondary player covering over top so I wanted to stay away from him. I gave Sam a chance and he made a great play.

Stover on 4th quarter-

It was a crazy fourth quarter. For once in a while there was a good calm confidence in our offense. We knew what we had to do, we were still down a score and we got
the ball in 4 minutes and went and scored.

Jones on defense 3 rd quarter-

We had to buckle up really quick, we knew from last week we let New Hampshire run over 300 yards so for this week we knew that they were going to run the ball up the middle. So they had to change to passing and they are known for rushing, not passing.

Jones on key on getting the QB-

The key was for the backhand to have good coverage and let the d-line make good plays because we were going to get there in a matter of seconds.

Ambrose on beating Delaware-

In years like this in the hard times when everything is stacked against you and they are suppose to beat you stupid, does it get any better? I don’t know. But to watch those guys change from a wide eyed puppy to a young man with a purpose, it is one of the most heartwarming to see. It doesn’t get better until it is awarded with performance. I love
my team

Ambrose on Offensive line changes related to production on offense-

Hell no. Matt Kaufman is the only starter left. This is with glue and toothpicks, will and want to. This might have been the best coaching job done by our offensive staff in the last 9 years. To find a way to beat those guys who are bigger, stronger, and faster than us and we did it with backups. This is not some magic shuffling job on my part, this is us holding on for dear life to find a way. The excitement I have for those guys who stepped up and played their guts out.

Ambrose on 4 th quarter switch-
we won the battle as a team. Remember we went from the 50 yard line to score the winning touchdown. It is not like we had a drive from the one. We have been screwed with field position in every single game. We did a great job with defense and special teams and put in a great spot to be more aggressive offensively.

Ambrose on Tsimis TD-

We needed that spark to get things going and that was it. Ambrose on Monty Fenner pass breakup- We talked about this one the sidelines, we said if we could force a field goal, we are going to win the game. 7 points win you a ball game and the defense and offense knew it. Offense did not win this game, defense did not win this game. Towson Tigers won this game.

Ambrose on the 00:35 seconds and their kicker-

He is very good but I put out backs to the scoreboard for that soul reason that if they needed that field goal in the fourth, I wanted to stick it to them. I just kept saying the same thing, don’t let the moment be bigger than us, be bigger than the moment.

Nice win indeed over a rival.  Strong offense down the final 2 drives of the game and super 3rd down call on the touchdown. Earlier 2 pt call was strong as well.  Nice assist from the turf in stopping the UD QB on the last drive as without the turfmonster grabbing his toes he gets another 20 yards and we lose this game. Credit due though, nice win. Avoiding a 2-9 record is nice and it's always a good thing to beat UD.

3-5 with 4 to go.  

9 hours ago, DocMinnegan said:

Nice assist from the turf in stopping the UD QB on the last drive as without the turfmonster grabbing his toes he gets another 20 yards and we lose this game.

I think Hayward dove and just got a piece of his foot; it took a few steps before the QB went down.