• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MBB falls to Vermont, 55-38

https://portal.stretchinternet.com/vermont/stats.htm?eventId=572853&streamType=stats

https://towsontigers.com/news/2019/12/7/mens-basketball-tigers-defense-shines-in-setback-at-vermont.aspx

Towson cut a 11-point Vermont lead to 33-32 with 11:45 left on a Nick Timberlake three-pointer. They would not make a FG for the next 11 minutes until the game was in garbage time. One of the worst shooting efforts of all time. The Tigers shot 24% from the field and Brian Fobbs led the way with 9 points on 3 of 14 shooting. The Tigers shot just 5 of 25 from three-point range and 7 of 14 from the line. The defensive end was fine as they held the Catamounts to just 35% shooting. Stef Smith had 25 points to lead Vermont on 7-of-11 shooting. He was the only player on the floor who shot well. Allen Betrand and Fobbs struggled to guard him. But I thought Juwan Gray did an excellent job using his length on Anthony Lamb, one of the premier mid-major forwards in the nation. He had 15 points but on 4-of-19 shooting.

Now, I don't want to make major excuses but Towson was supposed to arrive at Burlington last night. They couldn't make it. Not sure if it was weather-related but they didn't get to the hotel until this morning. Couldn't have a shootaround due to a women's game earlier. If you watched the game, there were a lot shots that either missed everything or came up short. It's tough enough to play a very good Vermont team that took Virginia to the wire and beat St. John's.  Teams shot 37% against them and just 29% from the floor. They were having issues from the three-point line. Seems like a lot of teams are nowadays with the new line.

Not saying that's the entire reason for the loss. Skerry was not a happy camper in the postgame. I didn't transcribe the interview, but to paraphrase, he was getting on Fobbs, especially for that missed layup late in the second half. 

1 minute ago, tualum said:

Well, nothing too surprising.  Vermont is a good team..

As you should know. They took UVa down to the wire. But shame that the travel didn't help.

Team shot 24.5% for the game, in 55-38 loss. With 11 minutes & 45 seconds left in the game, we trailed 33-32 & inexplicably made 2 baskets the rest of the game. 

For the season thus far, our 3 volume shooters (those who have taken the most number of shots) are: Fobbs-shooting 15% from 3, & 38% overall; Betrand, our “best” shooter, at 42% from the field, and Gibson, at 30% from the field, including 2 straight games with 0 points. 

Worried the most about Fobbs. That missed layup might have been a dunk the other night against Morgan. Seems like few guys had their legs thanks to the travel issues. But that doesn't explain his overall shooting woes. We can't go anywhere with him shooting around 12% from beyond the arc.

I’d also be worried about Gibson (zero points in last 2 games) & Timberlake (shooting 28% from the field so far this season). 

The former is a freshman, so ups and downs are going to happen. As for the latter, perhaps he’ll come on and wind up a 15ppg scorer by the time he’s a senior. But, at least for now, I’m not seeing it. Instead, I’m seeing a kid who simply isn’t a good shooter. And not just from the field either. He’s 2-8 from the foul line. Small sample size, sure, but still 25% is atrocious, especially for a guard 

So, if you had to pick 1 guy on this team to take & hit a 15-20 foot jump shot, who would it be? “Buehler, Buehler”?

Maybe Gray, maybe Betrand, maybe Fobbs (as long as it’s not a 3-point shot). My point is that, as usual, we struggle mightily to shoot from the floor, especially in the half-court game. 

Will this ever change? I’ve been asking this question for years 

Ok, here is the story. You can say it's no excuse or whatever, but these kids are not robots.

They were supposed to fly out around 7pm last night. The plane had mechanical issues so they never flew out until this morning. As I said, no shootaround due to the women's game, so they had no real practice on those baskets that had no real give on the rims. Basketball had never chartered before. This was the first time and the plane had issues. They are leaving now by plane. Let's remember, last week the long trip to Cornell for no game.