• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

FB falls to No. 7 Elon, 33-30 in double OT (story)

http://towsontigers.com/news/2017/11/4/football-double-overtime-heartbreak.aspx

Ryan Stover threw for 303 yards but an interception right before regulation ended, cost Towson a chance to give Aidan O'Neill a chance to win the game. Stover was very good in the first quarter but erratic the rest of the way, underthrowing and overthrowing receivers. Kobe Young energized the offense with 90 yards on 11 carries but should have had more touches in the second half after a 29-yard run in the second quarter.

The defense wasn't great or even good by any means. They allowed too many chunk plays on the ground and the tackling was atrocious. Mitch Boals struggled with some of those misses but did have 13 tackles to lead the team. Monty Fenner also missed several early tackles but wound up with eight tackles. Diondre Wallace had a solid game with 10 tackles. But when you give up 217 yards on the ground, you aren't going to win many games unless you are facing an option team.  Freshman Davis Cheek was spectacular until the rains came harder. He was 20 of 33 for 271 yards and a TD. We just couldn't turn them over even though we forced a fumble and it went out of bounds. Cheek is excellent as is WR Kortez Weeks, who caught 9 passes for 139 yards. He shook our secondary all day.

We fall 33-30 in two OTs.

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=177262

Forgot to credit Jabari Greenwood for a great game coming back with 7 catches for 109 yards. Shane Leatherbury finally broke one with 7 catches for 109 yards, including a 39-yard TD run after a short pass.

Mixed feelings on this one. Great comeback from down 27-10, but we had multiple chances to win. Elon tried to hand us the game with that 19 yard punt late in the 4th Q, but Stover threw the INT. Then we had a chance to win in the 1st OT, after holding them to a FG. Also, with 3rd & 1, deep in their territory, with the clock winding down in the 4th Q, we inexplicably call a pass play (naturally incomplete) instead of running the ball. I contend if we had run & made the 1st down, we very well win the game in regulation. Egregiously bad play calling. That’s on the HC and/or OC. 

Elon tried to hand us the game by throwing the ball after they ran for 40 yards. That's bad playcalling. Then their punter gets hurt on that bad snap over his head and he can barely walk so he punts it 19 yards the next time. Not sure about the 3rd and one throw. We've been awful on third and short all year. The only thing I would do there is run Stover because as good as Young was, he's probably not getting that against a stacked box. Play calling was iffy but let's face it, it's tough when it's raining and your QB can't complete a short pass or a long pass.

Elon had 2 100+ yard rushers. If the coaching staff doesn’t bring in a batch of DL (FBS transfers, JUCO, freshman, whatever) next season, something is very wrong.

Btw, who is #86, Smith, who caught an 18 yard pass in the 1st half?

My biggest fault with the playcalling was not getting Kobe Young involved in the third quarter. He didn't touch the ball after rushing for a 29-yard run. But then Jammer went no huddle up tempo and you have to give him credit. For this offense to put up 30 points, that's impressive. For them to settle for a FG in both overtime sessions, that sucks. We also never went for 4th and short about a handful of times. I'm not sure I like Rob's answer in the quotes abut not going for it on 4th and 1 in the 2nd overtime.

Just now, TSU88 said:

Elon had 2 100+ yard rushers. If the coaching staff doesn’t bring in a batch of DL (FBS transfers, JUCO, freshman, whatever) next season, something is very wrong.

Btw, who is #86, Smith, who caught an 18 yard pass in the 1st half?

Caleb Smith, son HOFer Rodney. He's another true freshman. 

Agree about D-line. I've been saying it for years. I think they felt that they had spent enough ships on them but they are all hurt (Cox, Cook, Harps-Upshur). Cox has never been healthy and neither has Cook. I would have spent a ship on another D-line instead of going after one of the grad transfers. Now they need 2 transfers on D_linee

I realize I probably sound like a broken record, but the play calling sometimes is baffling. In the 1st half we ran for over 100 yards. Yet on the first several possessions of the 2nd half, the run was abandoned, the offense was ineffectual & Elon proceeded to built a 17 point lead.