• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

FB falls to No. 7 Elon, 33-30 in double OT (story)

8 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I realize I probably sound like a broken record, but the play calling sometimes is baffling. In the 1st half we ran for over 100 yards. Yet on the first several possessions of the 2nd half, the run was abandoned, the offense was ineffectual & Elon proceeded to built a 17 point lead.

That was my point. The run game was effective when Kobe Young was running it. Shane Simpson had 23 yards on 10 carries. He just didn't look explosive at all. But yet they put him back to return kicks twice I guess because Dorsey wasn't very effective either. If you have somebody who is hot, keep feeding them the ball and that's something we haven't had all year. Rob is concerned about overplaying his true freshmen and getting them hurt which is admirable.

I don’t want to be a complete gloomy Gus, so let me say I loved the trick play TD pass from J. Allen. I see some talent at WR, with Greenwood, Allen, Dorsey, Leatherbury & hopefully Greaves playing next year. I’m still on the fence as far as Stover-yes, he led the game winning drive last week, & yes he threw for over 300 yds & 2 TD’s today, but he only completed 50% of his passes today, & sometimes he’s so far off target it defies logic. I shake my head & wonder what it is he’s seeing, or thinks he sees, when he throws some of his head scratching passes.

2 hours ago, TSU88 said:

Mixed feelings on this one. Great comeback from down 27-10, but we had multiple chances to win. Elon tried to hand us the game with that 19 yard punt late in the 4th Q, but Stover threw the INT. Then we had a chance to win in the 1st OT, after holding them to a FG. Also, with 3rd & 1, deep in their territory, with the clock winding down in the 4th Q, we inexplicably call a pass play (naturally incomplete) instead of running the ball. I contend if we had run & made the 1st down, we very well win the game in regulation. Egregiously bad play calling. That’s on the HC and/or OC. 

Maybe Jabari Allen can compete with Stover for QB in the spring. He was a QB in HS. Obviously joking but why not use Allen, Tristan Harris, or even Ellis at qb to confuse the defenses instead of going to the silly wildcat with C.J. Williams. Especially near the red zone and I know it's risky but what the hell. We're not playing for anything. I'm not opposed to trying something different when you have a struggling young QB. That's what the Allen play was. Just have a little bit of fun with a play like that.

I will say this-at least the offense was fairly entertaining today. Obviously would have preferred a W, but we’ve had so many joyless performances by the offense this year, that scoring 30 points had me feeling giddy. Of course that’s tempered when I start thinking about how the coaching staff swung & missed on transfers Kilgore, Tsimis & CJ Williams