• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

The Redshirts

More intrigued with the guys that sat out this season than those that have played. I do like the progress made by some of the true freshmen. I do think that Kobe Young is an offensive player, either at RB or slot WR. The guy is electric once he gets to the second level. I thought Platt looked good in the spring and then left the team briefly in the pre-season. He doesn't make the first tackler miss and hasn't always hit the right hole. Assuming he's back, I still think he can help depth-wise or on returns. I wonder if they redshirt him once we get Shane back healthy with Jalen Thompson, the juco RB from Baltimore, possibly another transfer.

I do like Vashon McCants, even though he was beaten for a TD in the end zone, he was right there. Has good size as well. Our secondary has underachieved. I think there will be some competition next season with McCants, JPD, Watson, Lyrics, maybe McDade. Tippett, Troy Vincent Jr., Boals for one safety spot. Fenner has the other.

Watch for Brion Seagraves (6-0, 190) and Warren Buckner Jr. (5-11, 175) at corner. Seagraves is from N.C. (just like Tye Smith) and sat out this season. Buckner blew out his ACL this past summer and never got on the field, but they really liked him.

At LB, of course, I've been pushing DyMellle Parker (6-2, 230) with his size and speed. Never got on the field due to shoulder injury. Also Nygill Johnson (6-3, 215), the former commit from Nevada. Both are going to be future starters, if not this season then the following when guys like Tedder and Wallace are gone.

Up front, we don't have enough healthy bodies this season. John Mullins (6-4, 280) is the only DT sitting out. He's going to be a good one. With Zain Harps-Upshur expected back, at least we'll have a rotation of Zain, big Reece, Mullins. Tibo D. could move to DE to replace K. Anderson, who is graduating. We also lose Clifton Jones and D'sean Cummings. Not sure if N. Cook and Q. Cox return. Both have been hampered by injuries.

On the O-line, the one player who I think can help or at least compete next season is Cole Cheripko (6-3, 280), who sat out. Josh Diaz (6-5, 270), Jackson Truitt (6-3, 275) and Bryce Perkins (6-3, 270) will get a long look in the spring.

At WR, we played everybody but 3* Chris Greaves, who redshirted and needed to add weight at 5-11, 165. I do like the potential of Rodney Dorsey and Caleb Smith, who played as true freshmen. The best young receiver is Jabari Allen (6-4, 180). When he adds some size, with him and two more years of Jabari Greenwood, we're looking pretty good at the position. Probably need to add one more big WR and another speedy playmaker.

But the best redshirt might be TE Myles Wright (6-2, 250), who suffered a knee injury. I think he's the best receiving tight end by far since Oboh. Now we need a QB. Stover? Miller? Harris? Epps? Transfer? Transfer DE and DT?

Is Greenwood a sophomore or junior this year? In other words, is next year his last season of eligibility or not?

I know that’s what you said. I was simply attempting to confirm the accuracy of what you said. I had it in my mind he was a junior. Very well

Maybe I was wrong. I thought he was a redshirt sophomore who played just one season at Kentucky but we have him listed as a junior. That makes no sense. That statement alone says he's a sophomore but junior academically.

KENTUCKY: Spent two years at Kentucky…appeared in all 13 games in 2016, playing mainly on special teams…redshirted during the 2015 season

The Redshirts are Coming... The Redshirts are Coming... The Redshirts are Coming... 

Towson Football's motto now seems to be "I know we didn't make the playoffs again, but just wait until the redshirts and the players to be named later hit the field, then we will be back"

2014 - No playoffs

2015 - No playoffs

2016 - No playoffs

2017 - No playoffs

2018 - No players left on the roster who have any postseason experience - but they have a lot of reps in games where Towson has lost games.

But hey, we were close.  Love those moral victories.

So maybe we should just shut it down (football talk) until 2020 or 2021. I'm not going to throw out false optimism about next season, but there is some potential with several of these players sitting out and playing currently. 

• Like 1

I’m going to choose to take the “glass half full” view at the moment (though I reserve the right to change that view after the W&M & Rhode Island games). After all, we beat UD, which will likely make the playoffs if they win their last 2 games, & we should have beat Elon, which is definitely going to the playoffs. We also could have beaten Stony Brook, another playoff team. Putting MD game aside, the only game we weren’t in was New Hampshire. 

Mat, I thought Morgan had 1 more year left, you didn't mention him in your write up.  He gone?  Clearly health has been a concern for him but on the off chance he is healthy for the 2018 season, I am hoping he's around.