• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TuTigers2012

Hoops Stats

1 hour ago, TuTigers2012 said:

5 win seasons under PK aren't much worse than 12 win season Skerry. The CAA is awful in comparison and the easy D2/D3/NAIA games.

So ineptitude for a period time, means we shouldn't try and get better?  SOT philosophy. 

Before the Skerry lovers bite my head off. I AM NOT COMPARING OUR PROGRAM TO THESE.  But Baylor, Charleston, St Marys, just to name a few, were morbid programs and had serious issues within their programs. They got the right coach and look a them all now.

Yes, we don't have the money to replace him now (other smaller schools can but we can't hmmm).

It wouldn't be worse than the coaching is right now. Pats a solid recruiter, Nice guy, Awful X and O coach and Poor at developing players. Prove me wrong.

A young up and coming assistant would take the job. Someone who is hungry for their shot and to prove themselves.  The geezers here will respond "but he will leave in a few years for a bigger job!"  HELL YES! We would love that, because it meant he made his mark here and improved/won. There are good young coaches out there that are on the benches. Winthrop found Kelsey, Charleston found Grant, ETSU found Forbes, Delaware may or may not have found Inglesby. 

I agree with most of what you are saying. I just hate general complaining with no realistic analysis or solutions. I also hate calling out people personally, but I do agree that this program likely needs change. Here are my answers to the questions I posed. 

1) I believe the AD and leadership of the Athletic Department needs to change before I would feel comfortable getting rid of Skerry and hiring another coach.
2) As for the analysis of it could not be worse. I can't disagree more with you. We have hired three head coaches since Truax. Their total combined record was 132-272 overall (Jaskulski - 37-76, Hunt - 23-63, Kennedy 72-143), 70-182 in conference play (Jaskulski 22-50, Hunt - 12-42, Kennedy - 36-90) and 8-14 in conference tournament play (Jaskulski 3-4, Hunt 1-3 and Kennedy 4-7).

Skerry has had a miserable 2+ years, but he is light years better than those hires (except the conference tournament record admittedly where he is actually worse at 2-7). That does not mean we should be afraid to make a change, get a new coach and start a new direction. However, based on Towson's track record we could hire three or four more guys and suck worse than we have under Skerry. Again, that does not mean we should be afraid to do it. I just hate the sentiment around here that if we get rid of Skerry things will automatically be better. History shows us there is a good chance that is wrong. 

3) There are definitely good coaches out there, but do they want to come here, will we give them enough money to do so and are they the right fit? This is harder to find than people on here think. I hope if and when a move is made that we are ready to answer these questions and make a serious commitment to the program. We all deserve an NCAA Tournament bid and a better team on annual basis. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, FBS OR BUST said:

Pat Kennedy should have been arrested for theft.  The man spent more time at Joey Chu's lounge then he did at the university.

🤣😂 That is 100% true.

How many postseason teams did that CAA have? How many in the top 100 in rankings?  I can tell you for a fact its less than 2011. Anyone who thinks that the CAA was better two years ago or any of the years since the Virginia schools left , is lost.

Just now, Tiger93 said:

I agree with most of what you are saying. I just hate general complaining with no realistic analysis or solutions. I also hate calling out people personally, but I do agree that this program likely needs change. Here are my answers to the questions I posed. 

1) I believe the AD and leadership of the Athletic Department needs to change before I would feel comfortable getting rid of Skerry and hiring another coach.
2) As for the analysis of it could not be worse. I can't disagree more with you. We have hired three head coaches since Truax. Their total combined record was 132-272 overall (Jaskulski - 37-76, Hunt - 23-63, Kennedy 72-143), 70-182 in conference play (Jaskulski 22-50, Hunt - 12-42, Kennedy - 36-90) and 8-14 in conference tournament play (Jaskulski 3-4, Hunt 1-3 and Kennedy 4-7).

Skerry has had a miserable 2+ years, but he is light years better than those hires (except the conference tournament record admittedly where he is actually worse at 2-7). That does not mean we should be afraid to make a change, get a new coach and start a new direction. However, based on Towson's track record we could hire three or four more guys and suck worse than we have under Skerry. Again, that does not mean we should be afraid to do it. I just hate the sentiment around here that if we get rid of Skerry things will automatically be better. History shows us there is a good chance that is wrong. 

3) There are definitely good coaches out there, but do they want to come here, will we give them enough money to do so and are they the right fit? This is harder to find than people on here think. I hope if and when a move is made that we are ready to answer these questions and make a serious commitment to the program. We all deserve an NCAA Tournament bid and a better team on annual basis. 

I'm not talking about an old has been re-tread coach.  Again, not defending either of Pat's, but Kennedy had to coach in the glory years of the CAA, in a shitty arena, with no funds (pregame meals at The Glen Dining Hall and B&G Catering), along with no academic support. Those CAA teams had numerous NBA players on it. We (the CAA) haven't put anyone in the league recently except Damion Lee, recently. (I know the 2 from last year in the G league currently)

We are not the same University or program that we were when they hired Kennedy in 04. New arena, more support, better recruits, better academics, etc.

3. You won't know until you try. Look at WM. They fired a coach who was head and shoulders more successful than Skerry. The old geezers in Williamsburg lost their shit. And yes, its early it year one, but a sort of no name, 3-5th choice is doing a good job there considering the blow back and mess left behind. (Yes Knight and a transfer helped, everyone else is essentially new) Skerry is  very fairly compensated MM coach.

The issue isn’t Pat Kennedy. To somehow rationalize the state of the program the last two years by trotting out the hoary “it was worse under Kennedy” is to ignore the real issue. 2010 just called & said Kennedy has been gone for a decade now. And just where are we a decade later? A regular season conference title? Conference tournament final game? Conference tournament semifinal game? NIT? The dance? 

And comparisons of where we are now, versus a decade ago must, as other posters have pointed out, factor in that GMU, ODU & VCU are not in the CAA anymore. If they were, the records of some of Skerry’s teams might only be marginally better than that of his predecessor 

Edited by TSU88

12 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

The issue isn’t Pat Kennedy. To somehow rationalize the state of the program the last two years by trotting out the hoary “it was worse under Kennedy” is to ignore the real issue. 2010 just called & said Kennedy has been gone for a decade now. And just where are we a decade later? A regular season conference title? Conference tournament final game? Conference tournament semifinal game? NIT? The dance? 

And comparisons of where we are now, versus a decade ago must, as other posters have pointed out, factor in that GMU, ODU & VCU are not in the CAA anymore. If they were, the records of some of Skerry’s teams might only be marginally better than that of his predecessor 

Who is trying to rationalize the state of the program the last two years?! We all hate it and think it sucks. We have sucked in the Big South, America East, a good CAA, and a mediocre CAA at times (although we were good at the beginning in the Big South). We are pretty consistent at being bad over the last 25 years. We have been better recently under Skerry until the last 2+ years. Now we have regressed back into some of the crap we were before Skerry and changes probably need to be made, beyond just him. I believe these are facts that we should mostly agree upon. Nobody likes this crap, and to pretend there is some old guard here that is happy watching this while other people are more demanding is just BS. We all want the same thing. A good basketball program we can enjoy that can give us just one damn trip to the NCAA Tournament. 

40 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

3. You won't know until you try. Look at WM. They fired a coach who was head and shoulders more successful than Skerry. The old geezers in Williamsburg lost their shit. And yes, its early it year one, but a sort of no name, 3-5th choice is doing a good job there considering the blow back and mess left behind. (Yes Knight and a transfer helped, everyone else is essentially new) Skerry is  very fairly compensated MM coach.

WM is such an interesting comparison.  Seemingly should have hit rock bottom this year, but they bounced back incredibly well.  They were hit over the head with transfers and a new coach, worse in magnitude than our situation last year, and yet they look better than us.  I really liked their princeton style offense (back door, spread the ball, good spacing and a team full of 3 point shooters) under Shaver.  It's sobering that in a year we should have been 7 spaces in front of them, they are going to outperform us.  

And we lose our two best offensive players this year to graduation at the end of the season......

They were hopeless this year and they turned it into a respectable situation.  Anyone think we can we can do that same next year w/o Fobbs and Sanders???

2 advantages W&M has,  despite the mass exodus from their program after last year: (1) Nathan Knight, the best player in the CAA IMHO, returned for his senior year; and (2) they had a transfer, Van Vleet, who’s playing well.

That being said, they look light years ahead of us, with almost an entire turnover in their roster, having lost Pierce, Milon, Audige, Owens and Cameron Brown, their top incoming recruit. 

Edited by TSU88