• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB routs FAU, 76-52 in Fla Gulf Showcase 1st round

Not a pretty game but we just outclassed them in the 2nd half. Never really a doubt but we didn't play our best until last 8-10 minutes when we pulled away by 20+. Zane was good with 23 pts, on 9-of-13 FG, 4-7 3pt. Would like to see Morsell come on some but it is what it is to use a tired cliche'. Don't really need him now bu twill need him eventually to step up.

Sorry about that El Tigre, you asked a question about Morsell coming off the bench and it came out in three posts. I deleted one and they all got deleted.

I can see what you're saying about Morsell coming off the bench. I wouldn't say to start Jordan, because he's playing backup point guard. You can go really small and player Morman with Martin and Starr. Then bring Mike off the bench. Just don't know he would react.

My whole thing about Mike is that he just needs to be patient. He always seems to be in a rush. Even on the break, sometimes it's best to just take what the defense gives you. That's not this team's moto because we are aggressive to the rack to score or try and get fouled. He's a great kid so you really want to root for him to finish strong. Maybe average 14-15ppg. With his long arms and his  3-point stroke, he could get a look overseas.

There were about 100 people, in an arena that seats like 6K, at the game tonight. ZM was hands down the best player on the court. EK came on strong at the end. 

Tomorrow will be a stern test against Penn, a disciplined team which shoots well from the outside. Penn dropped 93 on NIU to win going away. 

I'd echo what Mat said about Morsell.  He looked like he was trying to do a little too much in the first half instead of letting the game come to him more.  That said, he had a couple of decent looks from 3 and they just didn't drop.  I don't think any of the shots he took tonite were bad looks.  Zane just uses that big body and his quickness to get into the lane and set himself and others up to succeed....good signs for a point guard.  He's made a pretty big leap from his freshman to sophomore year already.

It's amazing if they make any sort of money out of this tournament.  8 teams from nowhere near the area with little to no fan support playing on weeknights before Thanksgiving.  What could be successful about that?  But no matter, it's a business trip for us and given what I saw out of Penn in that first game, they will be another good measuring stick for us on Tuesday night.  Unfortunately, I'll have to catch it online instead of inside the arena.

True, Mike had several good looks from 3 and missed all of them. I'm talking about when Mike has the ball the ball midrange and doesn't know whether to drive or force soemthing instead of just being patient.