• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB edges Morgan State in OT thriller

Thought for sure after Morgan's big run we were done for. Zeke was great in the last few mins of regulation and in OT. Tunstall made a few huge blocks and Mike hit his FT's. 

A win is a win as they say. 

Team really seemed to get tired. They had a 16 point lead in the second half, then melted down. Morgan took a 3 point lead, but to TU credit, they fought back and won. After Saturday game vs UMBC, this team gets a good break

Quotes from Skerry

"Great win. Give Morgan a lot of credit. We thought we had them on the ropes. We were up 17 and we couldn't put them away. I have to watch the tape. I didn't do a good enough job down the stretch. Our defensive rebounding let us down a little bit. We know Morgan is very good and they'll probably win their league, but what I did like is that we didn't get rattled. We missed a couple of point-blank layups. We found a way to force the game to overtime. This guy (Dennis T.). knows what sacrfice means. He's hurt and can't practice. Made  some big-time blocks. He mad a big-time play. Zane loves the moment. No surprise to anybody that watches the team play. It was a great team win. Super atmosphere. I imagine that will build. We have to make sure that we play the right way. Great game tonight"

Zane in game-tyiing shot

"BStar found me and had my feet ready. Stepped into it and made it. We had practice Sunday and my legs were tired but I was cool by the game"

Tunstall

My mindset is to do my job and stay ready. He uses me for situations like that (end of regulation)

Skerry on 2-3 zone

"We shot a high percentage. We have to slow down, play off two feet and ball faking. They went soft zone press and back to zone. We needed a good rhythm shot. Carr is a tough matchup. He can really make shots. I thought we fouled a little bit too much late. A couple of those were interesting calls as I got to see that in our big jumbotron. Maybe I should have gotten a technical early to get some of that.  I try not to get those"

Zane

We just trust each other. Coach tells us to stay poise. We were under control. We were ready.

Skerry

We missed two or three point blank layups. In the past, that would have caused us to short circuit. We locked in. Our guys stayed poised and we made some stops. They were making some crazy shots before that.

Skerry on atmosphere

"It was tremendous. I really appreciate Tim and his staff. The glowsticks. Hopefully this is something will build. Who wouldn't want to spend 2 hours and let loose in this building."

Skerry on national attention

"We don't talk about it. I'm aware of their devices. We have to focus on getting better and prepared for another good local team in UMBC. We have to be better. We can't play like this in March. This will help us later on and hopefully we learn from this."

16 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Wow the Bozeman quote.  Those officials were bad but Morgan did not get the short end of the stick. They had MEAC refs last year.. loses again and complains. Sounds like sour grapes

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Wow the Bozeman quote.  Those officials were bad but Morgan did not get the short end of the stick. They had MEAC refs last year.. loses again and complains. Sounds like sour grapes

All I know is after he got the tech early in the second half, he got nearly after call afterwards. The Morsell push out of bounds, where he was going backwards? Gorham getting roughed up 2 or 3 times and getting no calls? The Starr foul in the overtime on Cameron's drive where he basically gave him the layup? Bozeman might have a case in the first half but in the second? No f-ing way. We went to the line the exact same number of times at 24 and they were fouling late in OT. We are a team that gets to the foul line. That's our strength but he's going to blame the refs because they aren't MEAC officials or part-MEAC? The refs didn't cost you the game at the end when you coughed up that late lead.

But coaches love to whine and bitch about refs. Pat's saying the opposite, basically hinting that they were getting the calls after Bozeman's tech.