• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TSU88

MBB beats UMBC (and the refs)

http://towsontigers.com/news/2017/12/9/mens-basketball-second-half-surge-runs-towsons-win-streak-to-ten.aspx

Monster game by EK with the double double (15 boards, was it?)  Good win by a team that has to be physically & emotionally drained. Even more impressive given that Morsell didn’t score much & we had to overcome some atrocious refereeing. I’m biased, I admit, but I thought this crew was pitiful. 

I liked how ZM came up big in the 2nd half, when we needed him most. Also, good game for Morman & Tunstall with another game of key contributions.

UMBC isn’t bad-they should compete for their league title (is Vermont in their conference though?) in Lyles & Lamar they have 2 good one-on-one schoolyard scorers. Their problem, as evidenced by EK’s 15 boards, is their inside guys are built like stick men.

Anyway, now we get a much needed break before playing Oakland & Pitt, starting 12/20. Then the “real” season begins with a brutal start to the conference season (C of C & Elon on the road, then I think we come home to UNCW & C of C).

I’m ecstatic with a 10-1 start & 2 in-season tournament wins. 

• Like 1

Everybody knows I like Tunstall. I'm always pushing for more time for him on the chat. Their lack of a decent post player was the difference and allows a guy like Tunstall and Gorham have solid games. Tunstall though was fantastic on those help side blocks.

Look ten wins in a row is ten wins in a row. PK couldn't do that no matter how much he softened the schedule. And EK said in the press conference that he's never lost to a Baltimore team. How does that feel when we've had some tough losses over the years to the locals when they were good, bad or mediocre. That's pretty damn impressive.

Considering the travel, this team has really done a pretty remarkable job. Even when they didn't have their best, they came out with wins. That's what good teams do. There's still a lot work left to do but kudos to the guys for tying the D-1 record that I remember back in 1992. I don't care about the CAA right now. Let's finish the non-conference schedule strong.

• Like 1

And the officiating was awful for both sides. I was waiting for Bozeman to come in and rant about why the refs weren't from mixed conferences. These guys reacted to every player the flinched, flopped and moved instead of just calling the game. Just make the call. The two offensive fouls on Starr were as bad as it gets. He didn't lower the shoulder. He didn't use the off-arm. He just made a basketball move and Maura just flinched back because he's so small. Ridiculous.

• Like 1

UMBC came in what, 3rd in the nation in 3-pt %. They shot 10-31 today, so we held them to slightly less than 33%. Their diminutive PG wasn’t shy, chucking up 9 3pointers, but only hitting 2 

I can’t read the article, as I refuse to pay to read a 5th-rate paper (that’s being generous) like the Sun. That being said, I did notice the following during the game: PS barking at UMBC’s Jordan Grant (I thought I heard PS say something like “you talking to me?”); ZM talking some trash to UMBC’s Lyles; a UMBC player taking umbrage with EK (I think EK slapped the ball out of his hands, but not positive); EK giving a UMBC player an elbow after a rebound (and not getting called for it); & the flagrant foul on ZM, which I missed. (What happened there?).

The Sun is all we have in Baltimore and sticking with sports, they will occasionally have blogs about Towson. Ed Lee does a nice job with lax and Preston is a Towson guy so there's that. As for ZM, I didn't see it but apparently he elbowed the UMBC player. Pat said an assistant told him that the UMBC player hit him first but apparently they didn't see that in the monitor. So of course, Pat blamed the assistant for him going off.

My criticism of the Sun has nothing to do with their sports coverage. But this is a TU athletics board, so I’ll leave it at that. 

Anyway, no question we stand atop the Baltimore college basketball summit. In a way, I hope Morgan, UMBC & Loyola all win their conferences, as our W’s against them would potentially serve our postseason interests. For that matter, I’m also rooting for La Salle, FAU, Penn, Manhattan & Georgia Southern