• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

General MBB thread 2021-22

On 12/8/2021 at 1:15 PM, Blazer49 said:

I am sure we would LOVE to do 2 for 1's with those that you mentioned among others but it is those type of teams that don't want to come to the SECU.  We've played at Pitt twice in the last few years?  I won't expect them to visit us anytime soon.  We have also played Villanova a few times but I am not holding my breath for a return trip.  Home or away I am kind f surprised we have not played Rutgers yet.  Would have been ideal to play them this year, talk about a vulnerable BIG10 squad.   

The only way such schools make visits to the likes of our arena usually is if there is some sort of relationship that the visiting coach has with the school.  Skerry's relationship with Pitt I guess only has garnered two trips to the 'burgh.  UVA's loss last night to JMU have many of the Power 5 schools nodding their heads and saying "See that's why we play at home until conference."  

It takes two to Tango. Would Jamie Dixon have wanted to come to Towson when SECU first opened up? I doubt it. Jay Wright? What's the point. We can go the Villanova 100 straight years. I doubt they would come. 

We had Derrick Phelps at USF and UNC wouldn’t come here. 
In the past USF would get lucky having a Ohio State or Seton Hall swing in before or after a tournament in Hawaii.  

Our focus should be continuing to target elite mid major programs like Wichita State etc to come to SECU. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

We had Derrick Phelps at USF and UNC wouldn’t come here. 
In the past USF would get lucky having a Ohio State or Seton Hall swing in before or after a tournament in Hawaii.  

Our focus should be continuing to target elite mid major programs like Wichita State etc to come to SECU. 

That’s a bit longer trip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mat1992 said:

One thing we have to remember about scheduling home games against high-major teams or high-profile programs is that you want a team that would sell out the place. Pitt is not selling out the place. Maryland would and so would elite Big 10 and ACC programs. But they aren't coming, even if we offer two-for-one. Now, there are teams that want two-for-one, that aren't worth it. You aren't going to sell out SECU by playing an A-10 team, no matter how good or bad they are. Not Mason. Not VCU. Not Temple. Not Duquesne. 

I guess the key to playing North Carolina is hiring somebody like Tyler Hansbrough or some former UNC player as an assistant and maybe Hubert Davis would come up here.

Other schools get it done.  Not sure why we struggle to get anyone half decent to play here

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mat1992 said:

One thing we have to remember about scheduling home games against high-major teams or high-profile programs is that you want a team that would sell out the place. Pitt is not selling out the place. Maryland would and so would elite Big 10 and ACC programs. But they aren't coming, even if we offer two-for-one. Now, there are teams that want two-for-one, that aren't worth it. You aren't going to sell out SECU by playing an A-10 team, no matter how good or bad they are. Not Mason. Not VCU. Not Temple. Not Duquesne. 

I guess the key to playing North Carolina is hiring somebody like Tyler Hansbrough or some former UNC player as an assistant and maybe Hubert Davis would come up here.

I dont know if I entirely agree with this. The most exciting game I went to was the home game at Secu against Temple. Wasnt sold out but was packed and atmosphere was dope. 

1 hour ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Other schools get it done.  Not sure why we struggle to get anyone half decent to play here

Maybe if we the state of Maryland forced the Terps to play us and others on the road, like other states, we’d have a sellout.

2 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Maybe if we the state of Maryland forced the Terps to play us and others on the road, like other states, we’d have a sellout.

Would be nice.  
Pitt is bad. Wish we could have that game back