• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

2022-23 General MBB Thread

16 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Yeah that’s true. And Unfortunate since this team will be good and exciting. Hopefully we don’t fall behind 24-1 like last years home opener. 
There is tons of pressure and hype for this time and rightful so. One bad game in dc and there will be excuses galore from This board and the coach. 7 players in their 4th year or more of college with 3 Of them entering the 4th/5th years in the program. If not now, then when?! NCAA or bust

Why are we even introducing conversation about the CAA Tournament and now? I completely agree there are immense expectations for the team this year, but that journey starts on November 7th. I expect high quality and consistency from this team throughout the year. There will be ups and downs (hopefully a lot more ups) and we can figure what we like and don't like about the team as we are moving along.

This urge to jump immediately to March is unnecessary. We all will be disappointed if this isn't a NCAA Tournament team. Of course our reactions on how to unpack stuff like that differ in a lot of ways. However, in the meantime can we enjoy all the preseason buzz and talk through what we are seeing from this team, and hopefully enjoy the ride. This program is in a pretty good place with hopefully more attendance to follow (that is always a tough one). 

No matter that outcome in the CAA Tournament, last year was a blast and to me even ending in disappointment doesn't change that. Let's enjoy the ride and hope the team learned from last year's conference tournament experience and can use it as fuel to play at even more consistently high level this year.

I don't disagree with the overall take about the NCAA Tournament or bust, but I hope we don't lose appreciation for having a good team during the year by trying to skip breakfast, lunch and dinner and going straight to dessert. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

Why are we even introducing conversation about the CAA Tournament and now? I completely agree there are immense expectations for the team this year, but that journey starts on November 7th. I expect high quality and consistency from this team throughout the year. There will be ups and downs (hopefully a lot more ups) and we can figure what we like and don't like about the team as we are moving along.

This urge to jump immediately to March is unnecessary. We all will be disappointed if this isn't a NCAA Tournament team. Of course our reactions on how to unpack stuff like that differ in a lot of ways. However, in the meantime can we enjoy all the preseason buzz and talk through what we are seeing from this team, and hopefully enjoy the ride. This program is in a pretty good place with hopefully more attendance to follow (that is always a tough one). 

No matter that outcome in the CAA Tournament, last year was a blast and to me even ending in disappointment doesn't change that. Let's enjoy the ride and hope the team learned from last year's conference tournament experience and can use it as fuel to play at even more consistently high level this year.

I don't disagree with the overall take about the NCAA Tournament or bust, but I hope we don't lose appreciation for having a good team during the year by trying to skip breakfast, lunch and dinner and going straight to dessert. 

What’s the dessert 🍨? Is it chocolate cake, Boston cream pie? Mmmm, pie 

1 hour ago, Tiger93 said:

Because the goal is to make it to the dance. The only way to do so is win 3/4 games in DC in March. Not trying to skip ahead. But we’ve been told by others on here that the regular season and ooc games don’t matter, Atleast record wise, when we lose a game or two that we feel we shouldn’t. So..

8 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Because the goal is to make it to the dance. The only way to do so is win 3/4 games in DC in March. Not trying to skip ahead. But we’ve been told by others on here that the regular season and ooc games don’t matter, Atleast record wise, when we lose a game or two that we feel we shouldn’t. So..

The regular season matters & of course shouldn’t be glossed over. It’ll hopefully be the foundation for a successful conference tournament. But, given the expectations many have for this team I think it’s only natural to view the regular season as mere prologue to March in DC. Were we in a multiple bid league, things would be different, but we’re not 

23 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

To me the goal is to have a good program year-in and year-out that puts us in position annually to get us to the dance. Obviously getting there in the first place is first and foremost on everyone's mind, but as much as others might think it is delusional focusing on the fundamentals of figuring out a successful pattern for recruiting and succeeding in the regular season, scheduling strong and winning games against good non-conference teams to boost NET rankings, actually winning against top non-conference foes (which I think is as much lacking on Skerry's resume as conference tournament performances), figuring out a way to win a minimum 12 conference games a season, and trying to figure out a way to be a team that would be considered for an at-large bid someday are my goals. This is how I am assessing our program.

I don't think we are there, but I am hoping we are building up on these pillars. If we have a season like last year and get knocked out in the conference tournament I will consider it disappointing, but if we go 18-13 and 9-9 in conference play and making it to the NCAA Tournament as a 16 seed there will also be a level of disappointment. We will have accomplished what we all wanted to get to the tournament, but that would be severely underachieving during the season, which will take enjoyment out of the overall journey. My point is March is not the only standard to hold this program too, but obviously it is the main thing a lot of us long-term fans focus on because we just want to experience it once. However, going to the NCAA Tournament isn't going to put more fans in the arena. I believe building a reputation as a good program will. My point is I will actually be more critical of Skerry if we go 18-13 and 9-9 and make the tournament, then if we go 24-7 and 14-4 and miss it, because we won't be living up to the standard that I expect this team to have. It is certainly a debate and I don't admit to be fully right, but this is my opinion. 

13 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

The regular season matters & of course shouldn’t be glossed over. It’ll hopefully be the foundation for a successful conference tournament. But, given the expectations many have for this team I think it’s only natural to view the regular season as mere prologue to March in DC. Were we in a multiple bid league, things would be different, but we’re not 

Agreed, but expectations should be weighed to all parts of the season. When judging where this program is going long-term I think we need to look at what non-conference teams we can beat, where are we in the NET, where do we finish in the conference, do we get an NCAA Tournament bid (and if we don't do we make a good run in the NIT). I think we have to judge all of these things. I don't think the criteria is just did we make the tournament or not. Another reason I think the holistic view is important is I believe Charleston is going to become a monster under Kelsey and we have to figure out ways to continuously get better as a program or we along with other programs may see them fly right past us. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tiger93 said:

To me the goal is to have a good program year-in and year-out that puts us in position annually to get us to the dance. Obviously getting there in the first place is first and foremost on everyone's mind, but as much as others might think it is delusional focusing on the fundamentals of figuring out a successful pattern for recruiting and succeeding in the regular season, scheduling strong and winning games against good non-conference teams to boost NET rankings, actually winning against top non-conference foes (which I think is as much lacking on Skerry's resume as conference tournament performances), figuring out a way to win a minimum 12 conference games a season, and trying to figure out a way to be a team that would be considered for an at-large bid someday are my goals. This is how I am assessing our program.

I don't think we are there, but I am hoping we are building up on these pillars. If we have a season like last year and get knocked out in the conference tournament I will consider it disappointing, but if we go 18-13 and 9-9 in conference play and making it to the NCAA Tournament as a 16 seed there will also be a level of disappointment. We will have accomplished what we all wanted to get to the tournament, but that would be severely underachieving during the season, which will take enjoyment out of the overall journey. My point is March is not the only standard to hold this program too, but obviously it is the main thing a lot of us long-term fans focus on because we just want to experience it once. However, going to the NCAA Tournament isn't going to put more fans in the arena. I believe building a reputation as a good program will. My point is I will actually be more critical of Skerry if we go 18-13 and 9-9 and make the tournament, then if we go 24-7 and 14-4 and miss it, because we won't be living up to the standard that I expect this team to have. It is certainly a debate and I don't admit to be fully right, but this is my opinion. 

Agreed, but expectations should be weighed to all parts of the season. When judging where this program is going long-term I think we need to look at what non-conference teams we can beat, where are we in the NET, where do we finish in the conference, do we get an NCAA Tournament bid (and if we don't do we make a good run in the NIT). I think we have to judge all of these things. I don't think the criteria is just did we make the tournament or not. Another reason I think the holistic view is important is I believe Charleston is going to become a monster under Kelsey and we have to figure out ways to continuously get better as a program or we along with other programs may see them fly right past us. 

Sure that is a goal but there will be rebuilding years where we take our lumps. And guess what! That’s next season. We can go 5-30 and as long as those 5 wins are in dc, we go to the tournament. 20 wins is nice. 25 wins is better but those shouldn’t be the main goal. We have done those before. We haven’t gone to the tournament.

Charleston will be a beast but that may mean both the school and or Kelsey won’t be a problem for the caa for much longer 

Not that we had a chance to sell out the Albany game, but having the game on the same night as the Ravens/Saints game on Monday (5 or 6pm instead of 7?) may not have been the brightest idea.