• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Dan Steenkamer

News Journal column: UD might be closing in on potential FBS intentions

30 minutes ago, Blounge said:

I support the downfall of Flo 

It isn’t going anywhere soon. 4 year extension 8 figures. Which is like 600k per school assuming we have what 15 teams now?!

On 9/8/2023 at 3:54 PM, TuTigers2012 said:

I don’t think they care (outside of Jmu). They know they can’t make the playoff or national championship (besides Jmu who has a trophy case ready to be filled!). 
The difference between fbs jv and fcs (which let’s face it is like freshman in this comparison) is money.  Umass can get 1.2 and 1.8 million to go get crushed by a power 5 team.  We can get 250-500k. That’s a big difference and will continue to get larger with the playoff expanded. 
It will be power 3/4 or whatever there will be, the next level below the new fcs and max and mac etc then there will be the old fcs which would likely have to drop down to d2 or not offer as many scholarships.  

I suppose that is true, I just think right now that the lower FBS tier teams survive financially by being in the orbit of the big conferences. It is very possible in the future that those conference take their ball and go honor. For instance, it really makes no sense for those schools to pay others the fee you talked about when they could just scheduled the 50-60 big boys every week. I know most coaches would never accept that, but it is a question that needs to be asked. If they don't get the payouts or the trickle-down publicity from those big schools, their product becomes watered down.

This will trickle down to all levels if and when it happens. I am not saying it will, but whatever the big conferences decided to change in the next 5-7 years (or possibly 3-5 years), and some big change is coming, it will spill over to everyone else. College football is often sighted as one of the few sports that keeps growing in TV popularity, but the assumption is that it is all those 50-60 schools. That assumption is probably right, but we will find out if they can create a better system or mess things up. We will also find out how the spill over of those decisions affect everyone else. 

1 hour ago, Tiger93 said:

I suppose that is true, I just think right now that the lower FBS tier teams survive financially by being in the orbit of the big conferences. It is very possible in the future that those conference take their ball and go honor. For instance, it really makes no sense for those schools to pay others the fee you talked about when they could just scheduled the 50-60 big boys every week. I know most coaches would never accept that, but it is a question that needs to be asked. If they don't get the payouts or the trickle-down publicity from those big schools, their product becomes watered down.

This will trickle down to all levels if and when it happens. I am not saying it will, but whatever the big conferences decided to change in the next 5-7 years (or possibly 3-5 years), and some big change is coming, it will spill over to everyone else. College football is often sighted as one of the few sports that keeps growing in TV popularity, but the assumption is that it is all those 50-60 schools. That assumption is probably right, but we will find out if they can create a better system or mess things up. We will also find out how the spill over of those decisions affect everyone else. 

And that has happened with the fcs now too. 
I don’t see the big schools saying they won’t play MAC or Sunbelt schools anymore. With an expanded playoff I would Think we see more buy games. With a conference loss and maybe champ game loss not hurting you and still may get into the playoff, why risk playing good OOC opponents?  

22 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

And that has happened with the fcs now too. 
I don’t see the big schools saying they won’t play MAC or Sunbelt schools anymore. With an expanded playoff I would Think we see more buy games. With a conference loss and maybe champ game loss not hurting you and still may get into the playoff, why risk playing good OOC opponents?  

Maybe not, but it would be better for the product if they just played each other and had high level games for week-to-week. It would also be a way to truly control the whole pie on their own terms.

My point is they don't really need any of these other FBS team, which makes them irrelevant. Those teams are at the mercy of the big boys, and while you are right that they will probably remain on their schedule they can change that any time they want. That is the type of thing that would have a chain reaction all the way down every level of football.