• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

2023-24 Transfer Thread

Looks like Henry, Blakney and who knows else might be (might have been) backup plans to Watson. Henry got taken off the board by Louisiana Tech before he could visit Towson today. Weird to see Richmond fall off Watson's list. Sounds like some of the Seton Hall fans were complaining about where they are in NIL, but I am guessing that is relative to be in a top conference where the money is really flying around. Hard to see us beat out Seton Hall for Watson. Only thing I can think of is Watson viewing it from being more a focal point of the offense and seeing quality efforts from Towson playing against them and envisioning himself with the team (clearly this is somewhat of a reach).

Guys like Maletic, Williams (although it seemed like he was getting higher interest) and Stulic still on the board, but hard to find any information on who is going after them or where they are considering. 

3 hours ago, TSU88 said:

Let’s see a show of hands of everybody who thinks we’re beating out Seton Hall, if it comes down to NIL.

Always a bridesmaid, never a bride. My guess is that this is why Blakney hasn’t committed yet. He’s waiting for this guy to leave us at the altar, then he’ll sign with us, bringing his scintillating 6ppg avg with him.

Shaping up like a very underwhelming off-season. Unless/until we get some NIL sugar daddies, this is the new normal; scrapping for D2/JUCO or D1 transfers who avg’d 6ppg at their last stop. Yippee 🥹

Underwhelming is inevitable. Watson is a solid player but his outside shooting numbers aren’t great.  

Agree to a point on NIL, but we aren’t beating out high majors for kids with or without NIL money. We need to be focusing on the programs like us and in our conference. Are we competing with them?  If not, why?  Charleston is the exception and that will be hard to deal with.  What are Hofstra, Delaware, Drexel Monmouth etc doing?  They are probably struggling as well. 

We don’t have fans or a following. This board is the diehards and not sure 50% attend games regularly or donate.  Obviously everyone’s situation is different and not judging but we as fans and boosters need to do better, but the teams need to get better. .500 fcs football, never making the finals in hoops and a bad lacrosse program aren’t going to draw interest. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

but we aren’t beating out high majors for kids with or without NIL

Disagree. As I recall, before NIL, we beat out a number of larger programs for Holden. It’s now all about the money 💰 

I can hear the conversations Skerry is having with these kids:

Player: Gee Coach, I really like SECU and all the lovely coeds on campus, but there’s this thing called NIL;

Skerry: Did I mention we led the country in community service hours?;

[Player gets up and walks out]

Skerry: Wait, wait!!!

Edited by TSU88

I tend to think Watson can be a difference maker offensively if he gets better shots and improves his shot selection. Do you know why I think his shooting numbers can improve a lot in his final season? Because he shot 78% from the line. Get to the line more. Take a few more mid- range shots instead of threes. He’s 6-6, 235 and finishes above the rim. Similar in size to Moto but with more athleticism. Probably not a star but I’d take another player with Motos physical gifts.

That might be irrelevant if the Pirates swoop him and take him. Blakney, if he comes, would make us a much better defensive team, but we’d need May, Williamson, Conway and Cole to be more than role players

8 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

but we’d need May, Williamson, Conway and Cole to be more than role players

No Watson = several players, including 1 or more who’ve never played 1 second of college basketball, will have to have breakout seasons. Never say never, but I don’t think it’s being gloom & doom to say there’s a good chance we’re looking at around a 15 win/middle of the conference pack season 

2 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

No Watson = several players, including 1 or more who’ve never played 1 second of college basketball, will have to have breakout seasons. Never say never, but I don’t think it’s being gloom & doom to say there’s a good chance we’re looking at around a 15 win/middle of the conference pack season 

Which I why I want Watson. Blakney is a nice piece if you had a proven big scorer at the 2 or 4.

2 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Which I why I want Watson. Blakney is a nice piece if you had a proven big scorer at the 2 or 4.

Watch, all this teeth gnashing over Seton Hall, and he’ll wind up at High Point 😆

Seriously, we’ve courted several other kids this off-season who spurned us that I’m pretty much reconciled to the fact Watson isn’t coming. Hope I’m wrong, but I doubt it 

21 hours ago, mat1992 said:

I still find it surprising that there is little to no information on Marko Maletic and his visits. Back on May 5 it was reported that he had heard from us, San Jose State, George Washington, IUPUI and San Diego. It seems like we are all-in on the Watson pursuit, which is fine by me. However, with Seton Hall entering the mix there are still a couple of decent back-up plans out there and Maletic is one. He is not really a Skerry-type player, but with all of these grinders and athletes, it would be nice to have a proven (also bigger at 6'6) three-point shooter/scorer (outside of Conway and May) to open up the offense. San Diego, San Jose State and GW feel like they could be hard to beat out, but I agree with those that think since Seton Hall entered the mix for Watson that it makes it incredibly difficult to see him select Towson.  

• Like 1