• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

2023 General Football News

From the conference call today

Coach Shinnock on Maryland loss
"I thought we had a very average first quarter against a very good football team and got ourselves into a hole that was much bigger than we were ableo to overcome. Love how we fought and competed. One of the things we wanted to do was get after them and try different aspects of what we're capable of doing. See how it played out. Love our effort. We just have to execute at a higher level if we're going to be the team we expect to be."

"Thought there were a little nerves and uncertainty early on. Trying to figure out how we would match up. Once we settled in, we started to play what I think we're capable of doing. Our QB had some jitters early on. Proud of how he progressed and settled in. Once our defense felt like we could get some pressure, they were getting comfortable. Saw some of the 
blitz packages. Created some scrambles. Have to play a lot better but like some of things we did."

On Kent
"I thought Nate got better throughout his time. I played him the whole game. Wanted him to see a lot of different looks. An opportunity to see a lot of different things. Did a good job of moving us. Third and fourth downs need to improve."

On home opener and crowd
"On $3 hot dog. That's great. We want a great crowd. Unitas Stadium to be rocking. We want the students and the Towson area to get involved and come. New features to the game day experience. We want to fill this place. We need to be able to put a great product on the field."

On field goal drives
"Early on, our OC Brian Sheppard did a good job going back and forth with the run and pass. We were able to run the ball pretty well. We were able to have some sort of rhythm in run and pass. Our outsize zone game looked pretty good. We had two fourth-down conversions we could have gotten. When we are mixing up, our offense has an opportunity on the field for the long term. We had very few explosive plays on offense. Credit Maryland for covering us well. We need more explosive plays."

On RBs (Hunter and Matthews)
"Both those guys give us a completely different backfield. One guy is shifty and elusive (Hunter). Runs the outside zone very well. Devin is a slasher and runs up the middle. They really complement each other."

On Mason Woods
"Very impressed with Mason since Day 1. Came out of the portal. Has stepped up as a leader and player. Finds ways to make
tackles. We have him on special teams as well. Very impressed with him and he can play better football. Had a couple of alignment issues. He wants to get better. Looking forward to see how it plays out."

On Monmouth
"In their first game against FIU, their offense picked up where it left off. They wanted to establish the run game. The FIU defense was athletic. Impressed with how well they threw the ball with a first-year QB. Our game last year was a shootout. Our defense has to play better than we did against Maryland and try and disrupt things that they want to do. They are going to do a great job of creating misdirection. We need great eye discipline to contain them."

36 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

On Monmouth
"In their first game against FIU, their offense picked up where it left off. They wanted to establish the run game. 

Monmouth fans on Twitter claim they have the best running back in the FCS. Hopefully their RB doesn’t look like T-West at Johnny U circa 2013

Also, is there anyone involved that knows if they will hire another social media person? It doesn’t make sense to me the tiger football report didn’t air. Spiro mentioned they filmed it when he was on the glen clark radio show. Can someone buy Spiro a bag of Dots cinnamon sugar pretzels and ask if they need help? My buddy would be tremendous for the job. Used to work the social media for PLL

1 minute ago, Blounge said:

Also, is there anyone involved that knows if they will hire another social media person? It doesn’t make sense to me the tiger football report didn’t air. Spiro mentioned they filmed it when he was on the glen clark radio show. Can someone buy Spiro a bag of Dots cinnamon sugar pretzels and ask if they need help? My buddy would be tremendous for the job. Used to work the social media for PLL

You can't blame the social media person if they never showed it on YouTube. Again, as far as I know, Ben R. is off on Paternity Leave. Everything shouldn't go to hell, but yes, it would have been nice for the Coach's show to not only show up on their YouTube channel, but promoted on all social media platforms. My assumption is that there was some technical glitch. I also think some of those shows are going to be on NBC Sports Washington/Monumental. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Blounge said:

Also, shoot your shot. If you want to work for them on social media and I assume their Athletic Media Relations staff handles that, give it a try. 

1 hour ago, mat1992 said:

From the conference call today

Coach Shinnock on Maryland loss
"I thought we had a very average first quarter against a very good football team and got ourselves into a hole that was much bigger than we were ableo to overcome. Love how we fought and competed. One of the things we wanted to do was get after them and try different aspects of what we're capable of doing. See how it played out. Love our effort. We just have to execute at a higher level if we're going to be the team we expect to be."

"Thought there were a little nerves and uncertainty early on. Trying to figure out how we would match up. Once we settled in, we started to play what I think we're capable of doing. Our QB had some jitters early on. Proud of how he progressed and settled in. Once our defense felt like we could get some pressure, they were getting comfortable. Saw some of the 
blitz packages. Created some scrambles. Have to play a lot better but like some of things we did."

On Kent
"I thought Nate got better throughout his time. I played him the whole game. Wanted him to see a lot of different looks. An opportunity to see a lot of different things. Did a good job of moving us. Third and fourth downs need to improve."

On home opener and crowd
"On $3 hot dog. That's great. We want a great crowd. Unitas Stadium to be rocking. We want the students and the Towson area to get involved and come. New features to the game day experience. We want to fill this place. We need to be able to put a great product on the field."

On field goal drives
"Early on, our OC Brian Sheppard did a good job going back and forth with the run and pass. We were able to run the ball pretty well. We were able to have some sort of rhythm in run and pass. Our outsize zone game looked pretty good. We had two fourth-down conversions we could have gotten. When we are mixing up, our offense has an opportunity on the field for the long term. We had very few explosive plays on offense. Credit Maryland for covering us well. We need more explosive plays."

On RBs (Hunter and Matthews)
"Both those guys give us a completely different backfield. One guy is shifty and elusive (Hunter). Runs the outside zone very well. Devin is a slasher and runs up the middle. They really complement each other."

On Mason Woods
"Very impressed with Mason since Day 1. Came out of the portal. Has stepped up as a leader and player. Finds ways to make
tackles. We have him on special teams as well. Very impressed with him and he can play better football. Had a couple of alignment issues. He wants to get better. Looking forward to see how it plays out."

On Monmouth
"In their first game against FIU, their offense picked up where it left off. They wanted to establish the run game. The FIU defense was athletic. Impressed with how well they threw the ball with a first-year QB. Our game last year was a shootout. Our defense has to play better than we did against Maryland and try and disrupt things that they want to do. They are going to do a great job of creating misdirection. We need great eye discipline to contain them."

https://static.caasports.com/custompages/2023 CAAFB Press Box/Week 2 Press Conference/TOW_Shinnick_Wk2.mp3

link to press conference 

Any thoughts as to who will buy the naming rights to SECU arena once the 10 year contract runs out?

i personally LOVE ledo pizza arena Or Uber Bagel arena!?