• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

General MBB 2023-24 thread

So more about Nendah Tarke. I wasn't a huge fan at first, but when I found out we could get him about a week ago, I felt that he could fit in pretty well. His FT shooting is the biggest concern. His shooting numbers (42.7% FG, 32.9% 3pt) were actually better than in 2021-22 when he averaged over 13ppg. He's known more for his defense so I don't expect much more than 12ppg in probably around 25-30mpg. He did average 35mpg, but I think he'll get some better looks in this offense with the big guys Thompson and Jones screening for him and he'll be very good in the PNR. I also think he can play some point if needed.

https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Nendah-Tarke/Summary/169183

16 hours ago, mat1992 said:

So more about Nendah Tarke. I wasn't a huge fan at first, but when I found out we could get him about a week ago, I felt that he could fit in pretty well. His FT shooting is the biggest concern. His shooting numbers (42.7% FG, 32.9% 3pt) were actually better than in 2021-22 when he averaged over 13ppg. He's known more for his defense so I don't expect much more than 12ppg in probably around 25-30mpg. He did average 35mpg, but I think he'll get some better looks in this offense with the big guys Thompson and Jones screening for him and he'll be very good in the PNR. I also think he can play some point if needed.

https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Nendah-Tarke/Summary/169183

Looks like he has a decent shooting stroke, but similar to Conway I see no evidence that he can hit threes at high percentage unless he is wide open. Honestly that is true for a lot of players. Conway's percentages are much higher and he is clearly the better shooter of the two, but if Tarke can get open looks I think he can raise some of his three-point percentages this year. He should have more talent around him to get better shots. Although, we haven't exactly seen great shot selection from players in Skerry's offense at times.

One of the things that is exciting watching film of both Jones and Tarke is they both seem like they can finish around the basket. It drove me crazy how bad we were at this last year. Film doesn't tell everything, but it would be nice to have a higher percentage of paint touches finished. Of course, what I am saying is anecdotal and I don't have the stats to back it up, but I feel like we all talked about it quite a bit last year. I actually wanted Tarke earlier in the process as the options dwindled, so I think we did a good job to get him. By the way, Marko Maletic, who I kept mentioning, ended up at Toledo so that was obviously a little out of our realm. It is always hard to figure out who is in our ballpark and not, and it changes every day. I really think the NCAA could organize the NIL/Transfer Portal process in a fan friendly that would actually allow it to benefit college basketball. They are just so far behind in managing the process now. 

Also, I mean to ask. I assume Tarke wanted to come back because he had talked to us earlier and getting our new assistant who he played for probably clinched it. Do we get him without the new assistant we just hired?

17 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

NBA in 1-2 years? 🤨

Canadian pride/hyperbole, sure, but there’s no denying this kid has an intriguing skill set. Watch him stroke his shot in that video. Sure, it’s an empty gym, but it’s readily apparent this kid can shoot. I’m not saying he’s going to be this guy, but if you called central casting and said “send me a young Aaron Estrada type,” this would be the kid they might send 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TSU88 said:

Canadian pride/hyperbole, sure, but there’s no denying this kid has an intriguing skill set. Watch him stroke his shot in that video. Sure, it’s an empty gym, but it’s readily apparent this kid can shoot. I’m not saying he’s going to be this guy, but if you called central casting and said “send me a young Aaron Estrada type,” this would be the kid they might send 

If he is anywhere close to Aaron Estrada, like you think, I’ll happily bring a beer to your seat every media timeout 😂🤣

I do think and hope that these freshmen can contribute more than every other class we’ve had

44 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

If he is anywhere close to Aaron Estrada, like you think, I’ll happily bring a beer to your seat every media timeout 😂🤣

I do think and hope that these freshmen can contribute more than every other class we’ve had

Well, let’s make sure my position is clear…he reminds me physically of a young AE. Whether he fulfills that potential is a completely different matter, which the jury is still out on. In fact, the case hasn’t even gone to the jury yet.