• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

General MBB 2023-24 thread

On 12/31/2023 at 1:06 PM, TuTigers2012 said:

So do you and other fans put up with losing?  My guess would be no.

Monmouth is probably one of the 2/3 biggest games of the year.  They are a vastly improved team and we aren’t playing them in March where King might actually choke more than Pat.  Haven’t won a road game all year. Can we get the first one in conference play? If not we could be looking at a 1-4 start. Scoring is going

Happy new year.  One day and closer to end. Caa is pretty top heavy and we are likely right in the middle, 6-10 range. Having a tougher schedule in league play than other teams does not help 

I agree with a lot of what you have said. I think we will finish somewhere in that 5th to 9th range in conference play. This team is capable of exerting its physical will on opponents and can play some excellent defense, but the offensive limitations are glaring unless May or Tejada carry a big offensive load on a given night. I think we will beat some of the top teams at home, but this team doesn't seem to have a great mix of attributes to win on the road against quality opposition. I hope that changes, but those things are hard to turn around in the middle of a season. 

We still have the slowest temp in the nation according to KenPom, and our adjusted offense and defensive efficiency are both in the 180s. It feels like a better defensive team than the stats say we are right now. I think this can be improved, and it obviously is a big part of our program identity. 

I won't hold my breath on the offense. Having the 293rd best field goal percentage (41.8%) won't cut it, nor will being 341st in free throw shooting (62.5, we only have 20 more made FT than our opponents despite shooting 62 more FTs) and 276th in three-point percentage (31%). We are really back to being a full-fledged Skerry team (which I think Holden got us out of a little with his weird skillset) that tries to just exert our physical will on teams to win. We are the second-best offensive rebounding team in the nation (16.54 rpg). The fact that we are only 223rd in field goal defense needs to get better and I think it will. This stats can be sliced and diced many ways based on competition level, but they provide a good baseline and show our glaring weaknesses.  

I know I am one that gets bashed on here for accepting mediocrity at times. During the Skerry era, I have actually been optimistic going into conference play in most years. That hadn't really been the case since Truax was our coach. Our style of basketball is not my favorite to watch, and I do agree with the many on here that say our postseason track record is just not acceptable. I would also say that if you take away a couple of years, we haven't been great in non-conference play either (which is what made 2021-22 so fun). However, I do actually think there is a lot of talent on this team. We just need to do better defensively, and figure out how to piece together enough offense on nights we play good teams (which will be very hard). 

Also minor correction, we did win road games at UMBC and Coppin State. So really what you meant to say is we have not won a road game outside of the State of Maryland, and that point is valid. I just wanted to make sure you did give us credit for our road wins. Also, in this team's defense they have only played four true road games (the fact that our game against South Dakota State is consider neutral site is silly). 

The way I look at all of this is I think many of you have points about Skerry. However, once the season begins I prefer to focus on what is going on in that given season and not the collective under Skerry. he has moved the ball forward little by little and made things more interesting, but the fact this program has never made it to a conference tournament final since I arrived on-campus in 1993 becomes more absurd by the year and I certainly don't mind holding people accountable for that. 

• Like 2

On 12/31/2023 at 1:06 PM, TuTigers2012 said:

So do you and other fans put up with losing?  My guess would be no.

Monmouth is probably one of the 2/3 biggest games of the year.  They are a vastly improved team and we aren’t playing them in March where King might actually choke more than Pat.  Haven’t won a road game all year. Can we get the first one in conference play? If not we could be looking at a 1-4 start. Scoring is going

Happy new year.  One day and closer to end. Caa is pretty top heavy and we are likely right in the middle, 6-10 range. Having a tougher schedule in league play than other teams does not help 

I also agree the Monmouth game will be an interesting 

Edited by Tiger93

I know Caleb Embeya (238th-ranked player) is highly regarded, but I'm really starting to like Chike Edefo, the 6-6 wing from Vermont Academy. Very active and athletic with a three-pont shot. Also, had pretty good mid-major offers from Drexel, Fairfield, Iona, Siena and Manhattan.

https://www.maxpreps.com/vt/saxtons-river/vermont-academy-wildcats/athletes/chike-ndefo/media/videos/?careerid=05i8rb0cfhd66&videoid=140ee34e-36cf-4d88-8fb1-e18475ce7ace

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CuekXgTNd5E/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

12 hours ago, Tiger93 said:

I agree with a lot of what you have said. I think we will finish somewhere in that 5th to 9th range in conference play. This team is capable of exerting its physical will on opponents and can play some excellent defense, but the offensive limitations are glaring unless May or Tejada carry a big offensive load on a given night. I think we will beat some of the top teams at home, but this team doesn't seem to have a great mix of attributes to win on the road against quality opposition. I hope that changes, but those things are hard to turn around in the middle of a season. 

We still have the slowest temp in the nation according to KenPom, and our adjusted offense and defensive efficiency are both in the 180s. It feels like a better defensive team than the stats say we are right now. I think this can be improved, and it obviously is a big part of our program identity. 

I won't hold my breath on the offense. Having the 293rd best field goal percentage (41.8%) won't cut it, nor will being 341st in free throw shooting (62.5, we only have 20 more made FT than our opponents despite shooting 62 more FTs) and 276th in three-point percentage (31%). We are really back to being a full-fledged Skerry team (which I think Holden got us out of a little with his weird skillset) that tries to just exert our physical will on teams to win. We are the second-best offensive rebounding team in the nation (16.54 rpg). The fact that we are only 223rd in field goal defense needs to get better and I think it will. This stats can be sliced and diced many ways based on competition level, but they provide a good baseline and show our glaring weaknesses.  

I know I am one that gets bashed on here for accepting mediocrity at times. During the Skerry era, I have actually been optimistic going into conference play in most years. That hadn't really been the case since Truax was our coach. Our style of basketball is not my favorite to watch, and I do agree with the many on here that say our postseason track record is just not acceptable. I would also say that if you take away a couple of years, we haven't been great in non-conference play either (which is what made 2021-22 so fun). However, I do actually think there is a lot of talent on this team. We just need to do better defensively, and figure out how to piece together enough offense on nights we play good teams (which will be very hard). 

Also minor correction, we did win road games at UMBC and Coppin State. So really what you meant to say is we have not won a road game outside of the State of Maryland, and that point is valid. I just wanted to make sure you did give us credit for our road wins. Also, in this team's defense they have only played four true road games (the fact that our game against South Dakota State is consider neutral site is silly). 

The way I look at all of this is I think many of you have points about Skerry. However, once the season begins I prefer to focus on what is going on in that given season and not the collective under Skerry. he has moved the ball forward little by little and made things more interesting, but the fact this program has never made it to a conference tournament final since I arrived on-campus in 1993 becomes more absurd by the year and I certainly don't mind holding people accountable for that. 

I thought we were going to be a better defense team.  Because of the slowest pace in the county it masks a lot. We don’t allow a lot of points but looking at the numbers we aren’t great on that side of the ball either. We are average. Need to be much better than average on d if our offense is well below it.  

On 12/31/2023 at 10:48 AM, Bay Area Tiger said:

All “4” Philly teams.  Stuck with them since birth.  Inherited USF college sports being that I live next to the campus since 2000.  

Monmouth next week..  can’t wait.  Our quest for the dance starts.   After seeing what Wake Forest has done I think we have a solid group to make a run at this thing. 

Gonna be a fun ride..  enjoy.  

All right Bay Area a fellow Philadelphia 4 for 4 guy!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tiger93 said:

To add, yes I consider sdsu a road game. I’m talking real road games where you don’t wake up in your own bed. Coppin and umbc we probably had lesser dismayed bus rides to the games, day of, then true road games from hotel to arena. 
 The games in Charleston obviously are neutral but again, it’s like a road game. 

The lack of finals really is the breaking point. How many different groups of players have we had, and the same results. Are/were they ALL not clutch and disappeared when the bright lights were on?!  A lot, sure but we had conference players of the year, 3 all conference players in a season and numerous others with nothing to show. Every other program has caught lightning in a bottle at least once or has been good enough to get there.

Why not us?!  The strategy of beating teams down physically with defense and rebounding works to win games in the regular season but it’s tough to do that as your main strategy when you are trying to win 3 games in 3 days. At some point you need to put the ball in the bucket consistently. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TuTigers2012 said:

I thought we were going to be a better defense team.  Because of the slowest pace in the county it masks a lot. We don’t allow a lot of points but looking at the numbers we aren’t great on that side of the ball either. We are average. Need to be much better than average on d if our offense is well below it.  

The eye test at times can tell you we are athletic and tough on defense, but the numbers definitely suggest otherwise so far. I think we can be really tough defensively in conference play, but we have to get better.

The switching defense we use also yields mixed results. It can overwhelm teams at times because of our intensity and athleticism, but in the second half of last year's road game at Hofstra they absolutely picked it apart and found an open man on virtually every possession. I felt like last year Skerry adjusted a little at the end of games when teams were gashing us off the switching defense last year, but he will need to be more proactive this year because an 8-to-10 point deficit will likely feel tougher to claw back from than it has the last two years. 

27 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

The eye test at times can tell you we are athletic and tough on defense, but the numbers definitely suggest otherwise so far. I think we can be really tough defensively in conference play, but we have to get better.

The switching defense we use also yields mixed results. It can overwhelm teams at times because of our intensity and athleticism, but in the second half of last year's road game at Hofstra they absolutely picked it apart and found an open man on virtually every possession. I felt like last year Skerry adjusted a little at the end of games when teams were gashing us off the switching defense last year, but he will need to be more proactive this year because an 8-to-10 point deficit will likely feel tougher to claw back from than it has the last two years. 

They should be a better defensive team in conference play with Tarke, Lowery and May playing extensive minutes. However, the 4 spot is a problem, especially when Jones and Sulaiman (Coleman) switch to wings. Tejada and Williamson are not strong defenders though Dylan has improved some since the start of the season. You also can't play Tarke and Lowery too many minutes together because the offense suffers and there is not enough perimeter shooting on the floor.

13 hours ago, mat1992 said:

I know Caleb Embeya (238th-ranked player) is highly regarded, but I'm really starting to like Chike Edefo, the 6-6 wing from Vermont Academy. Very active and athletic with a three-pont shot. Also, had pretty good mid-major offers from Drexel, Fairfield, Iona, Siena and Manhattan.

https://www.maxpreps.com/vt/saxtons-river/vermont-academy-wildcats/athletes/chike-ndefo/media/videos/?careerid=05i8rb0cfhd66&videoid=140ee34e-36cf-4d88-8fb1-e18475ce7ace

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CuekXgTNd5E/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Next season will be interesting depending on who stays. My projected rotation (assuming no CT, CP, RH, TC). Still need a veteran big transfer and would like to have a do-over at the power forward spot unless Tejada and Lowery bulk up and move up to the 4 spot.

C Transfer/Embeya

PF Sulaiman, Jones (if he stays), transfer if one of Jones or Sulaiman is not back

SF Watson/May, Tejada, Edefo

SG May/Tarke, Cole

PG Williamson, Lowery, hopefully a transfer