• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

Top 10 players in the Skerry era

Donald Minnegan, who coached everything at Towson, was the basketball coach from 1927-48. Vince Angotti (1966-78, 79-83) and Terry Truax (1983-97) had long runs at Towson. Pat Skerry has been at Towson since 2011 so this will be his 13th season coming up. Let's take a look at the top 10 players from his era. Probably not a lot of argument for the top 4-5, but we'll see about the rest. Then, I'll list them by position.

1)PF Jerrelle Benimon-CAA Player of the Year 2x, All-Defensive team 2x

2)F Cam Holden-All-CAA first team, All-CAA second team, All-Defensive team 

3)SG Nicolas Timberlake-All-CAA first team 2x, Sixth Man of the Year, All-Tournament team 2023

4)C Charles Thompson, All-CAA second team 2x, All-Defensive Team 3x

5)G Zane Martin, All-CAA second team 2x

6)F John Davis, All-CAA second team, All-CAA third team

7)G Brian Fobbs, All-CAA second team

8)G/F Mike Morsell, All-CAA third team 2x

9)F Arnaud William Adala Moto All-CAA second team

10)F Marcus Damascene 

By position

First team

C Charles Thompson

PF Jerrelle Benimon

SF Cam Holden (I know he played PF, but also SF, PG)

SG Nicolas Timberlake

PG Jason Gibson (all-rookie team) 

Second team 

C Timajh Parker-Rivera (did make All-Defensive team in 2015-16). Hon. mention . Dennis Tunstall though he played mostly PF

PF John Davis

SF Mike Morsell. Hon. mention Marcus Damas

SG Zane Martin

PG Jerome Hairston (not a lot there. Brian Starr?). 

Best sixth man? Raferiel Guthrie

I know, we're basically at a positionless basketball era. Looking back, I guess there's an argument to put Zane at the 1, since had the ball so much over the last two seasons he was here. Unfortunately, looking at the record book, Towson MBB has not had a true point guard on an all-conference team since Devin Boyd in 1992-93 when were were in the Big South. Ralph Blalock and Scooter Alexander both made all-conference teams in the Big South but both were wings. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Donald Minnegan, who coached everything at Towson, was the basketball coach from 1927-48. Vince Angotti (1966-78, 79-83) and Terry Truax (1983-97) had long runs at Towson. Pat Skerry has been at Towson since 2011 so this will be his 13th season coming up. Let's take a look at the top 10 players from his era. Probably not a lot of argument for the top 4-5, but we'll see about the rest. Then, I'll list them by position.

1)PF Jerrelle Benimon-CAA Player of the Year 2x, All-Defensive team 2x

2)F Cam Holden-All-CAA first team, All-CAA second team, All-Defensive team 

3)SG Nicolas Timberlake-All-CAA first team 2x, Sixth Man of the Year, All-Tournament team 2023

4)C Charles Thompson, All-CAA second team 2x, All-Defensive Team 3x

5)G Zane Martin, All-CAA second team 2x

6)F John Davis, All-CAA second team, All-CAA third team

7)G Brian Fobbs, All-CAA second team

8)G/F Mike Morsell, All-CAA third team 2x

9)F John Davis, All-CAA second team, third team

10)Arnaud William Adala Moto All-CAA second team

By position

First team

C Charles Thompson

PF Jerrelle Benimon

SF Cam Holden (I know he played PF, but also SF, PG)

SG Nicolas Timberlake

PG Jason Gibson (all-rookie team) 

Second team 

C Timajh Parker-Rivera (did make All-Defensive team in 2015-16). Hon. mention . Dennis Tunstall though he played mostly PF

PF John Davis

SF Mike Morsell. Hon. mention Marcus Damas

SG Zane Martin

PG Jerome Hairston (not a lot there. Brian Starr?). 

Best sixth man? Raferiel Guthrie

I know, we're basically at a positionless basketball era. Looking back, I guess there's an argument to put Zane at the 1, since had the ball so much over the last two seasons he was here. Unfortunately, looking at the record book, Towson MBB has not had a true point guard on an all-conference team since Devin Boyd in 1992-93 when were were in the Big South. Ralph Blalock and Scooter Alexander both made all-conference teams in the Big South but both were wings. 

Were there two different John Davis' that played under Skerry?  You have John Davis at 6 and at 9.  Guessing you meant Gibson?

1 hour ago, AtlantaTiger said:

Were there two different John Davis' that played under Skerry?  You have John Davis at 6 and at 9.  Guessing you meant Gibson?

Damas. 

May not have been one of the 10 best in the era but will always have a place in my book somewhere is Bilal Dixon.  Could have transferred anywhere but he comes to us after that 1-31 season.  Didn't put up the biggest of numbers but was a solid, veteran presence that a bunch of young guys needed and helped set the foundation for the 25-win season in 2013-14.

7 hours ago, Chris Datres said:

May not have been one of the 10 best in the era but will always have a place in my book somewhere is Bilal Dixon.  Could have transferred anywhere but he comes to us after that 1-31 season.  Didn't put up the biggest of numbers but was a solid, veteran presence that a bunch of young guys needed and helped set the foundation for the 25-win season in 2013-14.

Thought about him and he was a better player than TJ. But played just one year for a team that was ineligible for postseason.