• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

First Summer MBB Practice Report

I was fortunate that my first summer practice was two hours. Normally, they are an hour, but practice was changed around this week and next so the players get some time off before the 4th and after. I think I'll take a look at one more practice before preseason starts in late September. 

Unfortunately, they haven't added a third transfer yet so that has become a bit complex without the ability to get into the deets on that. But hopefully, even if we wait until late August, after the Canadian trip, that we have a juco or D2 option at guard just in case this other player doesn't work out (again a bit complicated).

There were only 11 available scholarship players because freshman guard Jaiden Cole was out with a stress fracture. They expect him back by October, which would be in the second or third week of preseason practice. Cole was apparently dynamite early on before they decided to hold him out. I assume that once he gets healthy, he'll start shooting on the side courts and hopefully pumping some iron. He's long but thin at around 6-4, 170 so he could use a few more pounds.

Speaking of freshmen, I do like Tyler Tejada and Mekhi Lowery. Tejada is 6-8+ and around 218. Still growing and needs to add muscle. He's basically a guard right now with perimeter skills who can put the ball on the floor. But who is he going to guard? Probably would struggle with wings and post players but I think he’ll eventually be a stretch four type. Also needs to add some muscle like Mekhi Lowery, who has added 8 pounds since he got here. listed at 6-6, but looks a lot taller due to his length (and that the two transfers are closer to 6-5 than 6-6). He may be just around 185 or so, but can help defensively on the perimeter and is a very good passer. But let's be honest. These two and maybe three freshmen will not play much this season and present success will probably not depend on them because they aren't physically ready. May and Conway were not overwhelmed physically and they were good shooters last season, which is why they played (also injuries to other players helped).

Let's get to the transfers. Messiah Jones is not going to blow you away with great numbers. He's probably around 6-5, 225 and strong as an ox. Similar to John Davis due to his lefty ability, though he does have a right hand. He's also a lot more athletic than Sylla and a bit longer. The key with Jones is finishing near the rim and he does it well. 

As for Tomaia Sulaiman, I'm not sure what to think because he's not Sylla, just because he's a D2. He's a lot more athletic. However, I didn't see him enough to really grasp his offensive ability. I saw him get in the paint once and since he wasn't in great position, he didn't really look smooth with his back to the basket. He is a very willing passer, which fits the offense. Until I see more, I just see him as an energy guy off the bench. Good athlete and defender, If they push the ball more (which they were doing in 5x5 drills), he'll excel in a faster pace. I didn't expect much perimeter game from him and Jones and well, I was right. Sulaiman's shot is a bit unorthodox and I doubt Jones shoots many 3s. My worry is that when May sits out, who is going to make shots from the perimeter from the wing. Tejada? That's why that last ship needs to go to a shooter.

At the point, Hicks looked pretty good. But he also looked much-improved last off-season before the injuries. I think if Dylan Williamson takes his game to the level I think he's capable of, both guys will either play together or Hicks will come off the bench. Williamson impressed me with his confidence and ability to get to the basket off the dribble. We haven't had a point guard capable of doing that in a long time. Zane could do that when he was a sophomore here, but it was more based on strength than quickness. He also looks to pass and not just penetrate to score. Was Williamson perfect? His shot was off and defensively, he's not bad, but PS expects better. I think for this team to go far, he needs to play a lot of minutes. Getting to play a lot in Canada will be huge for a guy who didn't play in the regular season, but was just on the scout team.

May added about 7 pounds already to get to 212. I expect him to be at least 215 before the season starts. He played at around 205 last season. He's bigger, more confident and not just standing in the corner this season. He's going to need to play at least 30 minutes a game next season.

Conway is likely to start at the 2. I know he's undersized at 6-1, 190. He didn't shoot particularly well today, but not worried about it. Would like to see him drive a bit more. Can he defend a guy like Tyler Thomas? May can defend guys like that but Conway has to continue to improve on that end.

CT is CT. He is trying to develop a shot. Changed his form some and I did see him make a short jumper. That was nice to see, but his three-point shooting needs a lot of work or he'll just have to scrap that. If he can just get to 70% from the line and make a rare short jumper. That's fine. 

Tyler "Red" Coleman looked like a different player. What can I say? Not an athletic guy, but he's continued to drop pounds and add muscle. He's moving a lot better and finishing around the rim. I just don't know what he can do offensively to play 10 mpg. Can he make a 3 with any consistency? Can he post up and score down low like Jones? I would guess he gets some playing time behind Jones and depends on what they do with Sulaiman.

Chase Paar practiced for just the second time fully this summer due to injuries.  Finally got to see him with a more slender version. He did look good and maybe that's because his brother was out there guarding him at times. But if he's healthy, he gives you a lot more than Biekeu because he's 6-10, 250 with some touch on the offensive end. He gives something we lacked last season. If you watched the Clemson game, he was able to handle their size well in the first half. Not so well in the second half. He didn’t play against Brzovic last season in any of the three games. It would be nice if he’s around to defend him and force him to defend.

First practice summer session report
Pat Skerry interview
On schedule
“Just trying to wait on a couple of contracts. We think we’ll have five home, three road, five neutral. Trying to get one more home game on Dec. 30.”

On leadership
“It’s very good. Radhir and Charles. Different kind of leadership. They are probably a little more like Terry Nolan and Antonio Rizzuto. It’s a connected group. Different personalities. They are connected and work hard.”'

On finishing in the paint
“Part of the reason we went after Tomiwa (Sulaimon) and Messiah (Jones) where their stats that they effectively finished in the paint. Messiah was top 10% in the country in finishing, off. Rebounding rate and free throw rate. He’s getting (explosion back from Achilles injury). Has good feet and hand-eye coordination. Plays with both hands. He’s going to be really effective. They have different games than Cam Holden, but they have big bodies. Can move defensively. Both will play a lot. Versatile. Tyler Coleman has gotten a lot better. He knows the system. I couldn’t be more proud of how good he looks physically.”

Concerns from last year
“Health. Got to stay healthy. Was second full practice with Chase Paar. He can make a big difference for us. A lot of things about our team last year was frustrating. I couldn’t get us over the hump with a lot of close games. We had a lot of guys in and out of the lineup. In some ways, I was incredibly proud of the group because we asked guys to play different positions. That’s frustrating sometimes for players. I hope that we can be a bit deeper. I didn’t think that Christian May and Ryan Conway were going to play much last year. They really helped us last year in conference. This year, we’re expecting to be deeper. We have to make enough shots. Running good offense. Taking care of it. Last year, we took care of (the ball) but not as good as we needed to be. We have high expectations for this group. Have to play a hard schedule. Thank God we don’t have to play today. Our defense isn’t up to Towson defense. It is early.”

On competitions 
“Tomiwa can play the 4 and the wing. Christian May is a talent. Conway off the ball. He can get shots. Those guys shot over 40% (from 3) in conference. We’re going to get them a lot more shots. Hicks is a different player physically right now. We have to keep him healthy. Williamson has some talent. He knows he has to be committed defensively. He’s dynamic with the ball. He’s not your typical freshman. We haven’t had a guy that crafty with the ball that can get his shot and his spots. He’s fearless with the ball.”

May and Conway are the keys
“Those two got key experience on a good team. They had valuable roles for us in big games. They need to take that next step. I’m optimistic that they are going to be tough enough mentally that when they’re not making shots that they can do other things. That’s going to be important. One of our themes this offseason is that we’re going to become a better communicating team and early signs are pretty good.”

On two transfers and what they bring
“Work ethic and low maintenance. High IQ. Both played for good coaches and good programs. Getting 2-3 HS guys every year is important as well as portal guys. They know the system now.”

On three freshmen
“They are long aren’t they. That’s the longest group we’ve ever had. Length and body type. Now, we need to get them stronger and learn the defense. Those guys are good. Our deserves credit. All have high ceilings and could factor in this season. Lowery is like constant energy. Tunstall on the perimeter type of guys. Tyler and Jaiden are really advanced offensively. Tejada is 6-8 or 6-9 and is a perimeter player. He gets his hands on a lot of balls. I hope to be a little more positionless at times. Hope a Tomiwa, Tejada and maybe Lowery give us a little more length defensively. Our defense was good last year, but not as good as it’s normally been. Injuries, didn’t play enough guys, we’re not long enough. A couple of guys not committed as they needed to be.”

On Achilles’ injury with Messiah
“His last 10 or 9 games, he averaged around 14ppg and nine rebounds.They finished fourth (Wofford). (Suffered Achillles injury in Nov. 2021).”

On recruiting for 2024
“We will try and get two early and see what happens late. We haven’t recruited any small guards. We have a lot of good small guards in the program. We need at least one post guy or the second one to do both. We have a lot of guys in today with size. We’ve had a lot up here. On paper, the only guy who has no eligibility left is Charles. One of the things I’ve been thankful for is the type of guys we have and chemistry. This group is a nice group of guys. That’s important with the transfer portal and NIL. The coach has be involved. You need the type of guys that want to be here and represent the university well. I’m thankful for our guys.”

On recruiting D2 guys
“I told this to to Tomiwa and his coach at IUP (Former asst. at Pitt). Watched their championship game against West Liberty. The quality of play and coaching was better than a few D1 teams. There’s no doubt about that. Sekou had a good year us. He’s a good piece. The D2 guys really helped out Charleston. If you told me a few years ago, that I’d be comfortably sitting this time a year, full practice, trying to get 2024s, we still have one for 2023, deal with NIL, trying to complete the schedule, I have a staff spot open. I’m doing as much now as I was my first year. It’s crazy. That’s the deal now in college basketball. You get paid for this. Try to adapt to it. My personal motto has been the APR and pandemic didn’t take us down, I’m not going to let this thing take us down. We have to find a way.”

• Like 1

Ok, so I asked a question that maybe wasn't totally understood about competition in the preseason.

Unfortunately, with no Cole yet due to injury and a lack of a 13th guy, it's an incomplete competition. Right now, the competition is more for minutes and at the point.

PG Williamson vs. Hicks

SG Conway, Cole, May and Williamson can play it.

SF May, Sulaimon, Tejada. Lowery

PF Jones, Sulaimon vs. Coleman for backup minutes

C Thompson, Paar.

I think if we bring in a legit 3, May can move to 2 and compete with Conway for minutes, but can also play the 3. If we find one just role player who can play the 2 or 3 or is a combo guard, that's fine. In speaking with Cole off the record (it wasn't a major secret), he felt like he could be more of a combo guard and play some point. Maybe that's his future and that's where the lead guard and comparisons to Aaron Estrada begin. He's about 25 pounds away from even being considered and hopefully healthy enough, but while that's an unfair comparison, I think his ceiling is quite high.

So, not knowing who the 13th guy will be, Cole could be a huge x-factor on this team. 

The guy I was most excited about was Cole (followed by Williamson). Now he’s out for months with an injury. Even if he’s back in October, one has to wonder whether he’ll be up to speed for the start of the season. Discouraging. Not to mention the difficulty we’re having in filling the last roster spot. I had a nightmare last night that we took Biekeu back to fill the last spot 🥺

15 hours ago, TSU88 said:

The guy I was most excited about was Cole (followed by Williamson). Now he’s out for months with an injury. Even if he’s back in October, one has to wonder whether he’ll be up to speed for the start of the season. Discouraging. Not to mention the difficulty we’re having in filling the last roster spot. I had a nightmare last night that we took Biekeu back to fill the last spot 🥺

Hey someone’s gonna set screens and hedge!

4 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Hey someone’s gonna set screens and hedge!

I can’t believe Skerry would bring Biekeu back. I mean there’s got to be a D2 or JUCO better than him, right? 

If they do bring him back, what does that say about our ability to recruit?

This is all probably moot. I mean what kind of legit program would bring a player like that back?🤔

4 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I can’t believe Skerry would bring Biekeu back. I mean there’s got to be a D2 or JUCO better than him, right? 

If they do bring him back, what does that say about our ability to recruit?

This is all probably moot. I mean what kind of legit program would bring a player like that back?🤔

Lol. What player would want to come back, after likely being asked to leave?!

at this point we are likely getting a warm body to sit between the cole brothers and the freshmen on the bench 

9 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Lol. What player would want to come back, after likely being asked to leave?!

at this point we are likely getting a warm body to sit between the cole brothers and the freshmen on the bench 

He wasn’t asked to leave. He was going to be the third center with Paar back and now wants to return. Might be too late and we need wings more than a third string center.

44 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

He wasn’t asked to leave. He was going to be the third center with Paar back and now wants to return. Might be too late and we need wings more than a third string center.

Given how small most of our G’s are (Conway, Hicks, Williamson) and given that Cole is injured, thus calling into question whether he’ll be ramped up to start the season, might we be better served using the last ship on a guard, who can score, and hopefully has some size to boot? Where we would find such a player at this juncture is a whole different question 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TSU88 said:

Given how small most of our G’s are (Conway, Hicks, Williamson) and given that Cole is injured, thus calling into question whether he’ll be ramped up to start the season, might we be better served using the last ship on a guard, who can score, and hopefully has some size to boot? Where we would find such a player at this juncture is a whole different question 

Not to mention injury history with hicks