mat1992

CAA Name Change

9 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Really no big deal. It’s not based in Virginia anymore. It’s still the CAA 

Hopefully it won’t be spelled “Atheltic”

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Hopefully it won’t be spelled “Atheltic”

Oops. Typo from Pete. Wonder if Conference USA will change their name? Or the Sun Belt because that name doesn’t represent the league anymore. Where will we be in 10 years? In five?

1 minute ago, mat1992 said:

Oops. Typo from Pete. Wonder if Conference USA will change their name? Or the Sun Belt because that name doesn’t represent the league anymore. Where will we be in 10 years? In five?

No biggie on the typo; we all do it from time to time. In the scheme of things, the name change is also no big deal, though I can’t help but have my suspicions that part of the reason for the change (maybe a small part, maybe not) is that someone felt the word “Colonial” needed to be cancelled. And who knows if the conference will even exist in 5-10 years, or, if it does, whether we’ll be in it. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

No biggie on the typo; we all do it from time to time. In the scheme of things, the name change is also no big deal, though I can’t help but have my suspicions that part of the reason for the change (maybe a small part, maybe not) is that someone felt the word “Colonial” needed to be cancelled. And who knows if the conference will even exist in 5-10 years, or, if it does, whether we’ll be in it. 

Betting we won’t be in it. Has nothing to do with the name change but the league has gone from one of the top mid majors in football and basketball to a “meh” league with a less than “meh” tv or streaming deal. The only advantage we have over other leagues is the CBS Sports Network deal for about 2-3 regular season games for each school and another if you’re really good in basketball. Hopefully, we also still have the relationship with another entity going through a name change and that’s Monumental Sports, formerly NBC Sports Washington, formerly Comcast Sports Nets, formerly Home Team Sports.

I get the reasoning behind this, but if all they are going to do is say the name changed and not change anything else I don't know if it will be all that effective. By not changing the logo and changing the name I feel like they are basically saying "We are changing to Coastal Athletic Association, but call us whatever is convenient for you". I usually just say CAA. None of this really matters that much. I am sure when football season starts I will probably call it the old name a lot by accident. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Betting we won’t be in it. Has nothing to do with the name change but the league has gone from one of the top mid majors in football and basketball to a “meh” league with a less than “meh” tv or streaming deal. The only advantage we have over other leagues is the CBS Sports Network deal for about 2-3 regular season games for each school and another if you’re really good in basketball. Hopefully, we also still have the relationship with another entity going through a name change and that’s Monumental Sports, formerly NBC Sports Washington, formerly Comcast Sports Nets, formerly Home Team Sports.

I hope you are right, but the big question what will be what are our options. We don't bring a huge fanbase, so if we are going to make any moves in football in the next 2-3 years we need to put a quality product on the field and be a good program by results standards since unfortunately we don't bring a lot of other tangibles to the table. 

Just now, Tiger93 said:

I get the reasoning behind this, but if all they are going to do is say the name changed and not change anything else I don't know if it will be all that effective. By not changing the logo and changing the name I feel like they are basically saying "We are changing to Coastal Athletic Association, but call us whatever is convenient for you". I usually just say CAA. None of this really matters that much. I am sure when football season starts I will probably call it the old name a lot by accident. 

Maybe they are changing the logo and haven’t developed it yet or they have to go through legal stuff to put it out there.

Either way, even though we’ve been in the conference over 20 years, I’ve never felt we’ve been a true member. We’ve always been an outsider and maybe that’s because we’ve never won the tournament in MBB. To me, this is not the  league I watched on HTS in the 80s. I know all conferences have changed to some degree. Who knows what the future holds when Delaware leaves for football and then does Hofstra and Drexel leave for a basketball only league like the A-10?

17 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

We will along with the same football program sans Delaware and hoops minus Charleston Delaware maybe wm but add in Morgan, umbc and other scraps

4 minutes ago, Tiger93 said:

Lol. I mean it is meaningless. Do most people say ACC or Atlantic coast conference? SEC or southeastern conference? MEAC or mid eastern athletic conference? Can’t believe I’m comparing us to the MEAC but it’s what we are becoming lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1