• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Canada Thread

Game 2 seemed pretty ugly but Watson and Jones sat. May had 14 points Sulaiman added 10 and 11 rebounds. Lowery had 6 pots, 6 rebs, 5 assists and 2 steals. Shooting was not good from long range at 4 of 19

1 minute ago, mat1992 said:

Game 2 seemed pretty ugly but Watson and Jones sat. May had 14 points Sulaiman added 10 and 11 rebounds. Lowery had 6 pots, 6 rebs, 5 assists and 2 steals. Shooting was not good from long range at 4 of 19

Well, perspective here-no Watson or Jones & we still win by 13, but 4-19 from 3 is dismal and raises questions as to whether this is going to be an Achilles heel this upcoming season. 

1 minute ago, TSU88 said:

Well, perspective here-no Watson or Jones & we still win by 13, but 4-19 from 3 is dismal and raises questions as to whether this is going to be an Achilles heel this upcoming season. 

Ding.  Look at it as 3 of our best 5 players didn’t play (1 won’t anymore).  The three point shooting is going to be awful all year now. If there isn’t a massive improvement or change we will be in the bottom half of this league, around 12-15 since there’s 25 or teams now 😂 
good experience for the role players. But there shouldn’t be any game where hicks takes more than 10 shots. Maybe in burdick against you, me, mat, Bay Area and runda, maybe 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

But there shouldn’t be any game where hicks takes more than 10 shots. 

I think he had chucked up 11 shots by the half, which is fine, if he were a better shooter. Maybe he was told to shoot a lot; maybe he was trying to prove something to the coaching staff (which perhaps he did, but not in the way he intended). I really hope Williamson gets more minutes in the next game. We know what we have in Hicks; we need to see what Williamson can do.

I’m not going to press the panic button yet on the 3-point shooting. I’m still hoping that in the absence of Conway, Cole can step up. And who knows, since it appears we now have an open roster spot, maybe it can be filled by someone who has some 3-point shooting skills 

Edited by TSU88

This will be a pretty good team. Mark my words. Not a bottom feeder. Conway was only going to play about 15 minutes per game and maybe less. Yes, three point shooting is an issue. We have rebounders, defenders and slashers. Kind of like an early Skerry team. Watson isn’t a great three point shooter but he can score. He’s more a mid/range shooter.

To me, Cole is the X factor. Nobody knows how good he can be and I won’t really know until October in preseason practice. Williamson, Cole and May will need to shoot 35% from three. Watson at least 30%. It’s a worry now and probably in November. I think when you look at Sulaiman and there was a three point shooter we lost to NIL, that looms large. Everyone shooting close to 40% from three is getting money so we have to recruit them

Just now, TSU88 said:

I think he had chucked up 11 shots by the half, which is fine, if he were a better shooter. Maybe he was told to shoot a lot; maybe he was trying to prove something to the coaching staff (which perhaps he did, but not in the way he intended). I really hope Williamson gets more minutes in the next game. We know what we have in Hicks; we need to see what Williamson can do.

I’m not going to press the panic button yet on the 3-point shooting. I’m still hoping that I’m the absence of Conway, Cole can step up. And who knows, since it appears we now have an open roster spot, maybe it can be filled by someone who has some 3-point shooting skills 

Agree that Hicks shouldn’t shoot that many shots. My assumption is that Lowery was playing point forward in the first half and Hicks was more off the ball. But it’s time to give Williamson more of a shot. Unfortunately, I think he also might be playing off the ball as well and there might be a reason for that. He’s a decent shooter.

Defense. Slashing. Rebounding are great. I love beating up other teams to the point their fans whine about us playing font all against them. But to win, a team needs to hit threes. And a good number of them. 

15 minutes a game is fine for a guy who can shot 42% from three.  Otherwise we have a congested paint area 

11 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Defense. Slashing. Rebounding are great. I love beating up other teams to the point their fans whine about us playing font all against them. But to win, a team needs to hit threes. And a good number of them. 

15 minutes a game is fine for a guy who can shot 42% from three.  Otherwise we have a congested paint area 

Last year, you put down Conway’s defense and his overall game. Now you’re acting like we’re going to miss Steph Curry. There’s also a chance he will be there in the second half of the season like Gary Neal.

I wish we added one more three point shooting transfer. We also need a slasher who could get to the rim and draw fouls. We have that in Watson.