• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Second Practice Update

This will likely be my last report until the Maryland game. They scrimmaged on Friday and I wasn't able to get out there. Tonight, they were not in pads, but you're not getting a super-competitive practice after a scrimmage the night before. So I was able to talk to Coach Pete during the practice because they had something to do afterward. 

I think Kent has the edge at quarterback over Sean Brown and Scott Smith. He knows the offense and runs it well. Looks like D'Ago Hunter and Devin Matthews at running back with Chris Watkins, who was a Marist transfer last season and Tyrell Greene are in the mix. I'm a bit concerned about the offensive line. Ralph Paige wasn't out there, which means Alex Desire was still at center. I think if you have Volpe at left tackle, Paige at center, Desire at one of the guard spots and Jean Germain, Staehler or Josh Roberts at right tackle and one of the other at guard. 

Really tough to tell how everything is going to go defensively. There are just so many bodies but I assume they'll be anchored by Jesus Gibbs and Mason Woos. 

Shinnock on Friday's scrimmage
"I feel very good about what our guys did. We obviously have to fix some things and work on certain aspects of our game.
Like what we've done."

On competition
"We went over a list today in our staff meeting. We still have guys battling for spots, battling for playing time. In the third week of camp, you settle in on a lot of things. Today's practice is more of a teaching practice. We'll get back it on Monday competing a little more. Still trying to iron out some of the spots that need to be solidified."

On Nathan Kent
"When we got here, we had this open competition that is still going on. Nathan has worked on his footwork, timing, accuracy. Our offense is predicated on taking what the defense gives you and knowing where your five options are. We're going to get the ball out to all kinds of different people at all different types of times. He's getting comfortable with where everybody is and what everybody is doing. He's worked his tail off to be in this position."

On running back
"We had three main backs at West Florida and were different from the previous season. I like what we have at running back. We have good competition. D'Ago (Hunter) creates a fun, dynamic mix. The first play of the scrimmage yesterday, he had around a 40-yard run. Devin (Mathews) did a great job running and scored on the last play of the scrimmage. We have some unique guys back there that each have their own identity."

"They have to be a triple threat. They have to run, block, and catch. We're going to get the back out and we're going to make you account for him. You're not going to know when he's getting out and not getting out. When he's not getting out, he has to great job in protection. That's part of it. We want to run the ball and be very good at that."

On Tyrell Greene
"He's a combo in between D'Ago and Devin. He's been fun. He's getting the offense down."

On Cee Chosen
"Chris is coming along really well. Getting comfortable with the offense. Has started to grasp it. We're looking forward to seeing him grow."

On tight end (Malik Jackson)
"He's used in everything. We put them all over the place. Has to catch and block. Line up in a three-point and two-point stance and in the slot. We ask a lot of our tight ends. We saw (Jackson) get a couple of key grabs on third down."

On Volpe
"Great to have him back. Really good football player. There's a reason why got the accolades a year ago. You always want guys that can play several positions. That's a group that still has some competition. We have a couple of guys that can play guard and center, guard and tackle."

On Safety
"Xavier (Terry) was the most experienced when we took over. We moved Dorian Davis from corner to safety. We brought in 2-3 guys that can play well and helping with the depth. Antonio Howard has established himself. Had a really good D-2 career."

On Maryland
"Doesn't matter if we're playing Maryland or Monmouth, we just have to continue to get better. I feel like we've made the right strides and we need to build on that. Can't go backwards."

On starting QB
"It's the guy that everyone is looking to. Our QB does a lot. People have to respect that guy."

• Like 1

I can't believe we get to watch a Towson football game in 12 days. Also can't believe Nathan Kent is our starter going into college Park. I can only imagine the Terps are gonna whoop us bad, but we might have a couple good plays here and there. 

Anyone going to the game? How big a Towson fan presence should we anticipate in college Park? How big a Maryland fan attendance should we expect? I know Scott van pelt called the fans out years ago for leaving at half time or not even bothering to leave the frat party to go to the game.

I remember my freshman year at towson the football team played at Maryland and it was a fun trip to visit our terp friends and watch our team lose. Hope there is some excitement amongst the new freshman at TU to get out to some games

50 minutes ago, Blounge said:

I can't believe we get to watch a Towson football game in 12 days. Also can't believe Nathan Kent is our starter going into college Park. I can only imagine the Terps are gonna whoop us bad, but we might have a couple good plays here and there. 

Anyone going to the game? How big a Towson fan presence should we anticipate in college Park? How big a Maryland fan attendance should we expect? I know Scott van pelt called the fans out years ago for leaving at half time or not even bothering to leave the frat party to go to the game.

I remember my freshman year at towson the football team played at Maryland and it was a fun trip to visit our terp friends and watch our team lose. Hope there is some excitement amongst the new freshman at TU to get out to some games

I went to the two previous games. Didn’t sit in the “visitor” section but did fright behind the team bench. There will be ~1,000 tiger fans scattered amongst the crowd.  They probably will draw more for this game than the other two since it’s the first game of the season. The other 2 were not. 40-45k. Hopefully we play more like 2011 not 2018