• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
TuTigers2012

When is enough, enough?

1 minute ago, TSU88 said:

Harvard is the TU of the northeast šŸ˜†

If he went 30-0, heā€™d be off to a P5 gig in a shot. And therein lies the problem-if he had won a conference championship, he probably would have moved on, in the natural progression of things. Instead, weā€™re now in year 13 of a seemingly never ending cycle, where he wins just enough to hang around, but not enough to get us to the next level.Ā 

What honestly concerns me at this point is the idea that weĀ somehow accidently stumbleĀ into the NCAA Tournament in one of these last remaining contract years with Skerry........and Towson hands him yet another multi-year contract.Ā  I believe that oneĀ NCAA appearance, at this point under Skerry, would almost be too little too late.Ā  One tourney appearance every 13-15 years under one coach shouldn't be good enough, even if that were to happen by some miracle. We need to raise the standardĀ for success.

9 hours ago, El Tigre Oro said:

Itā€™s enough, I never thought I could be apathetic. This is starting to become Pat Kennedy jacket under the busĀ tire bad.

Ā 

Omg. Ā I totally remember that trip where the bus šŸšŒ got stuck in the snow and they used PKā€™s jacket. Ā Bravo.Ā 
A Jimmy V asst couldnā€™t even bring us any positive Ā juju to this program.Ā 

I said this years ago.. Ā PS got the program stabilized but then you needed to pass the baton to the next coach. Ā  What USF did from Rex Walters to Kyle Smith. Ā 
That didnā€™t happen so I put my head down as an alum/fan and supported PS. Ā He is a great guy and of course want him to succeed. Ā Although I love some of the freshman he brought in and landing a Watson type player was huge but heā€™s hurt and these other guys have been so so. Ā 
Ā 

Do you bring in a long time assistant from a big time program aka Tommy Lloyd but is he thriving at Arizona more because of the NIL money etc they have in place in addition to their reputation etc?

Do you take a coach from a smaller program who had success like a Mark Pope who goes from Utah Valley to BYU?

Do you go the retread route and hire a Tom Crean or what San Diego did with Steve Lavin? Ā Or what Grand Canyon did with Bryce Drew after his stint at Vandy! Ā Steve Alford at Nevada! Ā Bounce back coaches.

Can we sway Luke Murray away from Louisville?

Sons of great coaches doesnā€™t work.. Ā what is Mark Prosser doing at Winthrop? Ā Heā€™s been so so after one great season to start!

Do we go the mercenary route like a Pitino type of coach who brings his name but also his baggage etc?

Or what Cal State Northridge did last year getting Andy Newman who had success at San Bernardino in D2?

We as a fan base are beyond exhaustion so weā€™d all sell our souls for a guaranteed winner. Ā 

Game 1 of 18 conference games and me being the ultimate optimist canā€™t fathom we could be that inept yesterday in our first conference game.

Iā€™m 50 and now truly terrified I wonā€™t see us dance before I die. Ā 

Help me ObiWanā€¦. you are my last hope!
Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Bay Area Tiger

18 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

I said this years ago.. Ā PS got the program stabilized but then you needed to pass the baton to the next coach. Ā  What USF did from Rex Walters to Kyle Smith. Ā 
That didnā€™t happen so I put my head down as an alum/fan and supported PS. Ā He is a great guy and of course want him to succeed. Ā Although I love some of the freshman he brought in and landing a Watson type player was huge but heā€™s hurt and these other guys have been so so. Ā 
Ā 

Do you bring in a long time assistant from a big time program aka Tommy Lloyd but is he thriving at Arizona more because of the NIL money etc they have in place in addition to their reputation etc?

Do you take a coach from a smaller program who had success like a Mark Pope who goes from Utah Valley to BYU?

Do you go the retread route and hire a Tom Crean or what San Diego did with Steve Lavin? Ā Or what Grand Canyon did with Bryce Drew after his stint at Vandy! Ā Steve Alford at Nevada! Ā Bounce back coaches.

Can we sway Luke Murray away from Louisville?

Sons of great coaches doesnā€™t work.. Ā what is Mark Prosser doing at Winthrop? Ā Heā€™s been so so after one great season to start!

Do we go the mercenary route like a Pitino type of coach who brings his name but also his baggage etc?

Or what Cal State Northridge did last year getting Andy Newman who had success at San Bernardino in D2?

We as a fan base are beyond exhaustion so weā€™d all sell our souls for a guaranteed winner. Ā 

Game 1 of 18 conference games and me being the ultimate optimist canā€™t fathom we could be that inept yesterday in our first conference game.

Iā€™m 50 and now truly terrified I wonā€™t see us dance before I die. Ā 

Help me ObiWanā€¦. you are my last hope!
Ā 

Ā 

I realize this is a useless and moot exercise to start playing the coaching name-game when we have our coach for the next several years BUT I do find it entertaining.

Let me throw a name out there......Josh Pastner.Ā  Josh falls into that category of fast-rising superstars in the coaching ranks only to see his star fade in recent years.Ā  Tremendous success with Memphis and then fizzled a bit here in Atlanta with Tech.Ā  Could a case be made that GT's academic standards handcuffed him a bit with talent he could bring in?Ā  Maybe.

I actually see him on occasion as we both belong to the same LifeTime Fitness.Ā  He looks ready to get back on the sidelines.Ā Ā 

A program like Towson could afford him the opportunity to recapture his coaching magic in a low-pressure environment and would give Towson a bit of a splashy-name hire. Would he bolt first chance he got for a bigger program?Ā  For sure.Ā  Could he help Towson find its basketball mojo?Ā  I'd be willing to give him a shot.

Ā 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, AtlantaTiger said:

I realize this is a useless and moot exercise to start playing the coaching name-game when we have our coach for the next several years BUT I do find it entertaining.

Let me throw a name out there......Josh Pastner.Ā  Josh falls into that category of fast-rising superstars in the coaching ranks only to see his star fade in recent years.Ā  Tremendous success with Memphis and then fizzled a bit here in Atlanta with Tech.Ā  Could a case be made that GT's academic standards handcuffed him a bit with talent he could bring in?Ā  Maybe.

I actually see him on occasion as we both belong to the same LifeTime Fitness.Ā  He looks ready to get back on the sidelines.Ā Ā 

A program like Towson could afford him the opportunity to recapture his coaching magic in a low-pressure environment and would give Towson a bit of a splashy-name hire. Would he bolt first chance he got for a bigger program?Ā  For sure.Ā  Could he help Towson find its basketball mojo?Ā  I'd be willing to give him a shot.

Ā 

Thatā€™s the word.. Ā basketball mojo!! Ā Spot on.Ā 
No one comes to the games and weā€™ve at least been having winning seasons. Ā Beautiful arena and all. Ā 

1 hour ago, AtlantaTiger said:

What honestly concerns me at this point is the idea that weĀ somehow accidently stumbleĀ into the NCAA Tournament in one of these last remaining contract years with Skerry........and Towson hands him yet another multi-year contract.Ā  I believe that oneĀ NCAA appearance, at this point under Skerry, would almost be too little too late.Ā  One tourney appearance every 13-15 years under one coach shouldn't be good enough, even if that were to happen by some miracle. We need to raise the standardĀ for success.

I hear ya, but I guess I would say letā€™s worry about this scenario if/when it presents itself. Sadly, if past performance is an indicator of future success, itā€™s not likely weā€™ll be confronted with this issueĀ 

50 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Helpļ»æ me Obļ»æiWanā€¦. yoļ»æu arļ»æe myļ»æ last hļ»æope!ļ»æļ»æļ»æ

Iā€™m afraid weā€™re Alderaan, and just about every opponent is the death starĀ 

51 minutes ago, Bay Area Tiger said:

Iā€™m 50 and now truly terrified I wonā€™t see us dance before I die

Welcome to the club. I keep saying ā€œwaitā€™ll next year.ā€ One of these days, hopefully not for awhile, Iā€™m going to be out of ā€œnext years.ā€ I have grave (pun intended) doubts if weā€™ll go dancing again in my lifetime. It may sound like hyperbole, until you consider the last time we went dancing was over 30 years ago.Ā 

1 minute ago, TSU88 said:

Welcome to the club. I keep saying ā€œwaitā€™ll next year.ā€ One of these days, hopefully not for awhile, Iā€™m going to be out of ā€œnext years.ā€ I have grave (pun intended) doubts if weā€™ll go dancing again in my lifetime. It may sound like hyperbole, until you consider the last time we went dancing was over 30 years ago.Ā 

I arrived in the fall of 91ā€™ and yet to dance šŸ•ŗĀ 

I feel like I have a better chance of a major earthquake happening here in SF. Ā Yikes.Ā 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tgr4life said:

That may be true regarding the Olympic sports that receive no funding, but for a sport that gets serious funding, winning is the goal....ask PS...he will tell you he does not get an extension for graduating players.....we ain't Harvard. If he went 30-0 and did not graduate a single player.....he would be a folk hero.Ā 

We arenā€™t funded or have resources that other schools have. Or so thatā€™s told to us by the excuse markers here.

Agree with you on it Ā nothing says you canā€™t do both!

Ā 

2 hours ago, TSU88 said:

Harvard is the TU of the northeast šŸ˜†

If he went 30-0, heā€™d be off to a P5 gig in a shot. And therein lies the problem-if he had won a conference championship, he probably would have moved on, in the natural progression of things. Instead, weā€™re now in year 13 of a seemingly never ending cycle, where he wins just enough to hang around, but not enough to get us to the next level.Ā 

Wish he and the football coach moved on after this initial slight success. Thatā€™s the natural progression. How many coaches stick around at mid majors especially for over a decade?! Not a lot. They either win and move on, or get cannedĀ