• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TSU88

Rhetorical questions

To the 10 or so of us who post here, I pose the following questions:

(1) If you’re a coach of another team, is there anyone on our roster you’re salivating over trying to poach? Tejada, maybe. May? Perhaps a lateral move, but would a bigger program covet him?  My point is, we just don’t have an abundance of talent;

(2) if you’re a talented scorer in high school or the portal, do you want to come play for a coach who is determined to play at the slowest pace in the country, and who’s track record of getting to his conference championship game is perfect, in a negative sense 

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

(1) If you’re a coach of another team, is there anyone on our roster you’re salivating over trying to poach? Tejada, maybe. May? Perhaps a lateral move, but would a bigger program covet him?  My point is, we just don’t have an abundance of talent;

(2) if you’re a talented scorer in high school or the portal, do you want to come play for a coach who is determined to play at the slowest pace in the country, and who’s track record of getting to his conference championship game is perfect, in a negative sense 

1. Yes because there’s some talent that you can hope to develop. Mays not bad defensively and Tejada is a tall shooter. Both wouldn’t “cost” much and would want to play for a winning program. Not saying they can go power 5. We know how that went with Timberlake. Sheesh. But could play for a real program like uncw or Charleston. Or a10. 

2. We’ve all been thinking this for years. Most of these guys are under recruited. A second team all NJ player going to Towson?? Again sheesh.  Kids want instant gratification and playing time (not to sit or be redshirted until they learn defense). Some skerry lovers would say we want instant gratification after 14 years of nothing to show 🤷‍♂️ 

13 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

1. Yes because there’s some talent that you can hope to develop. Mays not bad defensively and Tejada is a tall shooter. Both wouldn’t “cost” much and would want to play for a winning program. Not saying they can go power 5. We know how that went with Timberlake. Sheesh. But could play for a real program like uncw or Charleston. Or a10. 

2. We’ve all been thinking this for years. Most of these guys are under recruited. A second team all NJ player going to Towson?? Again sheesh.  Kids want instant gratification and playing time (not to sit or be redshirted until they learn defense). Some skerry lovers would say we want instant gratification after 14 years of nothing to show 🤷‍♂️ 

Your answer #1 is to my point. Tejada and May would seem to be the only players who might generate interest, and neither would be slam dunks, though Tejada’s size and scoring ability makes him the pick of the litter. But other than these two, the cupboard is pretty bare. I mean Lowery is a great defensive player, but can’t shoot. Anyone have any hope our coaching staff will develop him? I certainly don’t. Williamson has his moments, but he’s not really a PG, and too small for a 2 guard. 

Been down this road before, but at the risk of being redundant, too many marginal role player types (Coleman, Paar, Jones, Sulaiman, and maybe Cole, who I had such high hopes for). I’d count Hicks in this group, but I’m not sure he’s ever going to play again. 

This is a reoccurring theme-the roster turns over every year, but rarely are impact players onboarded. Correct me if I’m wrong, but what impact players have recently been brought in via the portal, other than Holden. Why will this offseason be any different?

2 hours ago, TSU88 said:

1.  What would you define as a bigger program?  Power 6?  If so, none of what we got is that caliber.  Heck, I was surprised that Timberlake got the attention he got and now that he's on a big-name team, the rest of the nation is seeing what limitations we had known he had for his career.  But if you're talking about a player going from here to an A-10 team or a AAC or goes out west to the Valley or MW/WCC, I think May and Tejada certainly would qualify and I bet certain coaches could get a lot out of DW, Lowery, and maybe even Cole.  I've said it once or twice in the chats the last few games that the backslide of Charles around the bucket as well as our softness around the rim plus the pathetic free throw shooting is a direct indictment of how we develop players.  How does someone like Messiah Jones, who shot 57% last year at Wofford comes here and often looks lost on the offensive end?  But if you get a certain mindset about being in the lane and around the rim and you learn to finish through contact, we don't have the pathetic numbers on layups that we do.   If you look at our roster and think back to the beginning of the season, who has gotten significantly better from Colorado to today?  I'm not sure if we can answer anyone confidently.

2. No chance.  When a player is in the portal, I wonder how much his 'team' looks at the below-the-surface stats like pace, etc and not just look at 'oh, they lost this guy, this guy, and this guy, so you can step right in and be the big dog'.  Do they take into account that we haven't been to a conference championship game in over 30 years?  How much of that do they even prioritize?  Are they more about winning or more about themselves and getting noticed for their future?  It would be interesting to hear what the selling points were to bring in the transfers that we have in the past.  

• Like 1

Two other examples of regressing -- Sylla and Sulaiman.  Sylla was a player of the year and yet he came in and looked lost.  Sulaiman averaged a smidge under a double-double at IUP and while he's shown flashes of brilliance, his overall stat profile is a fraction of what it was and/or what it could be.  Perhaps if he was given a bigger workload of minutes.

But then, I read somewhere that we weren't supposed to complain about substitution patterns.  😉

6 minutes ago, Chris Datres said:

1.  What would you define as a bigger program?  Power 6?  If so, none of what we got is that caliber.  Heck, I was surprised that Timberlake got the attention he got and now that he's on a big-name team, the rest of the nation is seeing what limitations we had known he had for his career.  But if you're talking about a player going from here to an A-10 team or a AAC or goes out west to the Valley or MW/WCC, I think May and Tejada certainly would qualify and I bet certain coaches could get a lot out of DW, Lowery, and maybe even Cole.  I've said it once or twice in the chats the last few games that the backslide of Charles around the bucket as well as our softness around the rim plus the pathetic free throw shooting is a direct indictment of how we develop players.  How does someone like Messiah Jones, who shot 57% last year at Wofford comes here and often looks lost on the offensive end?  But if you get a certain mindset about being in the lane and around the rim and you learn to finish through contact, we don't have the pathetic numbers on layups that we do.   If you look at our roster and think back to the beginning of the season, who has gotten significantly better from Colorado to today?  I'm not sure if we can answer anyone confidently.

2. No chance.  When a player is in the portal, I wonder how much his 'team' looks at the below-the-surface stats like pace, etc and not just look at 'oh, they lost this guy, this guy, and this guy, so you can step right in and be the big dog'.  Do they take into account that we haven't been to a conference championship game in over 30 years?  How much of that do they even prioritize?  Are they more about winning or more about themselves and getting noticed for their future?  It would be interesting to hear what the selling points were to bring in the transfers that we have in the past.  

As I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, I have serious doubts about the ability of this staff to develop the players they bring in. 

10 hours ago, TSU88 said:

As I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, I have serious doubts about the ability of this staff to develop the players they bring in. 

Most players don’t develop.  Morsell. Timberlake. Who else? Jon Davis maybe?

I can tell you ones who didn’t. Hicks. Gibson. Keith.  TJ. McNeil.  Tunstall Thomas. Etc. those are the 4 year guys not the ones who transferred in and or guys who got kicked out   

To my non friends point above. Sylla was a d2 all American. D2 is very different than d1. But we expected slightly more than what he provided.  Suliman has given us likely what we expected.  He wasn’t going to go 12-10 but his defense has been a bit disappointing )”(like most on our team)

We need an offensive minded assistant coach to come in. Clearly Kupa, O’Connell, and Skerry aren’t getting it done and it’s been the same crew with the same results  for 10+ years. 

maybe Tejada or May gets poached by a A-10 team like Dayton but I don’t see anybody stealing DW away from us. OTOH i was wrong before with Chris Bieku finding a new home

16 minutes ago, Blounge said:

OTOH i was wrong before with Chris Bieku finding a new home

He’s played in 1 game for NM State, logging 6 minutes, with 0 points. Another brilliant recruiting decision by our staff. 

2 hours ago, TSU88 said:

He’s played in 1 game for NM State, logging 6 minutes, with 0 points. Another brilliant recruiting decision by our staff. 

Tore his Achilles in those 6 minutes.

https://twitter.com/SamGuzmanTV/status/1742658134903009601?s=20