• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
mat1992

MBB upsets UNCW 66-56 to Advance to CAA semifinals 66-56

22 minutes ago, AtlantaTiger said:

A good win for sure. All “must-win-game” wins are good. Credit to the players and the coaches for finding a way to get it done today.

However, I’m not quite ready to let Pat off the hook.  Anything short of the big dance will just be more of the same. I don’t care that it’s CofC tomorrow. Let’s not consider consecutive wins in the CAA Tourney meaningful progress. This isn’t year 2 or 3 of his tenure. 

Agree but we are stuck with him for 3 more years? Maybe, More? So let’s enjoy winning two straight (even if every other school has done that) for the first time since 2009.  There’s so much that can and should be criticized. There’s time for that after Charleston blows us our tomorrow  but for now we celebrate!  F UNCW!

I credit him with make adjustments in the lineup today. The stall ball almost bit us in the ass again 

Will pat Kelsey and skerry almost fight like the tournament game last year? HUGE game tomorrow night for the CofC rivalry 

20 minutes ago, Blounge said:

Will pat Kelsey and skerry almost fight like the tournament game last year? HUGE game tomorrow night for the CofC rivalry 

That would help our chances 

• Haha 1

Ok, finally back. And let's just say that game felt like three games in one. 

1)We start the first half with 10 turnovers. We open the first possession trying to get the ball to Charles, which happens in every opener and we fumble the ball away. Then we miss layups so badly that at least half of those misses don't touch the rim.

2)Tejada had three of those turnovers, but he had the miraculous 75-foot buzzer beater at the half where he took the shot without about five seconds left on the game clock, which is usually a no-no. You want to dribble it closer to halfcourt, but these freshmen?

3)I said on the chat that the freshmen had 19 of the team's 29 points at the half and that's a positive. I didn't see UNCW shooting 4 of 21 from three-point for the game and despite having two stars, our defense did a nice job on them. Very nice. It's also tough to defend that team knowing that White is going to get a call nearly every time you breathe on him.

4)The kids were great today. Lowery with 10 points, 7 rebounds, 2 blocks. Only negative was 0-3 from the line. It's why you can't have him on the floor late in games even on D, because if they miss or make, they will foul him right away if he gets the ball. Tejada wasn't great with 8 pts, 3 rebs, and 3 TOs. 

5)Dylan was just fantastic, even if the shooting numbers (3-of-9, 1-3 3pt) weren't great, he was 11 of 11 from the line (or 10 for 11, our boxscore might be wrong). Let's just think about that number. The redshirt freshman from Good Counsel has been in the early sixties lately at the line. But in the last two games, he's 17-of-17 from the line (or 16 of 17). That's clutch and maybe for the first time in a long time, we have a prime time performer. 

6)New starting lineup. Pat went with Sulaiman over Jones and Dylan over Tejada. Made sense and it worked for the most part, despite the 10 early turnovers. 

7)Going small at around the 11:00 mark. Lowery, May, Thompson, Tejada with Tarke or DWill. Forget Jones or Sulaiman trying to defend White. Go smaller, lighter and quicker. May not work on Monday though against that big squad, but you can try it out.

8)Another weird press conference. Didn't ask about the Charles Thompson flagrant foul. Nobody did. But had they lost, it would have been a big topic considering they started losing the lead after that with Paar struggling though I'm amazed they have him for just one turnover when he dribbled the ball off of his foot at least twice.

9)Tarke's tipped offensive rebound to get another possession was incredible. He has stepped up the last two games with strong defense, he was great on the boards and I think his offense is a luxury. I'll take 15 points, two blocks and five rebounds. He's capable of 12, 5, 3 and 2 steals every night. The assist numbers have gone down as he's played more two next to Dylan. Still like to see an extra pass now an then, but he's doing a better job of attacking the rim.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TuTigers2012 said:

Agree but we are stuck with him for 3 more years? Maybe, More? So let’s enjoy winning two straight (even if every other school has done that) for the first time since 2009.  There’s so much that can and should be criticized. There’s time for that after Charleston blows us our tomorrow  but for now we celebrate!  F UNCW!

I credit him with make adjustments in the lineup today. The stall ball almost bit us in the ass again 

Three more but if the win tomorrow night....?

12 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Three more but if the win tomorrow night....?

It’s a moot conversation and one we shouldn’t be having with this coach. If feel like Steve is happy like Tim, but with years left and no one kicking down the door for his services, just let it ride.

Can  he finally win a big game at towson tomorrow?  Will need more on court time from Charles, that Russian kid will eat Paar alive 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

It’s a moot conversation and one we shouldn’t be having with this coach. If feel like Steve is happy like Tim, but with years left and no one kicking down the door for his services, just let it ride.

Can  he finally win a big game at towson tomorrow?  Will need more on court time from Charles, that Russian kid will eat Paar alive 

Pat Skerry is in the zone.  David and Goliath mention.  We will win tomorrow night as I have my ace in the hole.  What timing 3-11-24.  Will lose Tuesday night cause “We are Towson” and the basketball gods like to punish us.   3pm tip tomorrow.  Old man Stevens not getting those reports from me he’s been bugging me about.  Sorry boss.  Towson is playing.  Not this time Charleston!