• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

The Seniors

I was looking back at senior classes from the past. There were certainly worse, especially though involved with Josh Ivory. Guys like A.J. Astroth, Hairston.

So in 2016-17 it was JD (injured), Moto

2015-16: TJPR, Ivory

2014-15: Alex Gavrilovic, Jamel Flash

2013-14: Damas, Benimon, Burwell, Guthrie

2012-13: no seniors

2011-12: Robert Nwankwo

Bottom line? This class is the most disappointing barring a great run in the tournament. Sure, you could say the 2013-14 class was disappointing but they won 25 games. Discuss.

The 2013-14 class was much more talent laden in my opinion than this year’s class. The loss in the semifinals of the tournament that year (which was played in Baltimore) was a much more bitter pill to swallow then the likely failure of this year’s team to win the tournament. 

In my opinion, every player in the 2013-14 class was better than EK or Starr. I don’t have the stats in front of me to compare, but even if EK or Morman for that matter had better stats than Burwell, the negative intangibles associated with EK (constant bickering) & Morman (kicked off the team) put them behind Burwell.

As to Morsell, he’s an interesting case. OTOH, he’ll finish his career with over 1,500 points & in the top echelon of school scorers. But, there just feels like there’s something missing from his resume, other than the obvious lack of a regular season title, conference tournament championship or NCAA tournament appearance. Too many games of 3-15 from the field, too many games where he disappeared, too many games where he came up small.

Agree about the 13-14 class, way more talented and extremely disappointing loss in the tournament.  

Think they were nice players, but no alpha/leader like we had with benimon/damas and davis.  You look at the 12-20 season after the 25 win season, out veteran presence was mcglynn.. enough said on that.  I feel like with most of our past players, they didnt develop much under the coaching staff and we didnt play to their strengths.  for example, pressing more often, getting into the open court, pushing the pace, and getting mike and eddie into the post more. Mike is a career 49% shooter from inside the arc, and had good games when we put him in the short corner early in games. 

I see 4 years without a signature win, and way to many embarrassing losses/collapses; FDU x2, RMU, JMU x 2 this year, Pitt, BC. 

For all the grief and headaches, eddie has had some game changing/saving blocks and mike has a handful of clutch game winners in their careers. I've been following the team since 2008-09 season and we have exactly 6, 4 year players out of HS that started and ended with us, Crossin, Rocky, TJ, Davis, and now Mike & Eddie, so I need to give them their due for that as well

Is that stat right, in the Skerry era, only 4 recruits out of HS who stayed at TU through their senior season? Interesting. Of course in fairness other guys who weren’t 4 year players here have gotten their degrees (Moto, Damas, Guthrie, & I’m  assuming Benimon & Burwell, just to name some).

I understand what you meant. With all due respect, it’s a difference without a distinction. The bottom line is kids graduating, regardless of whether they came here out of HS, or transferred in. 

I’ve come around on my way of thinking on this. I will continue to bitch & moan if we don’t win the regular season title or the conference tournament, but with all the disgusting scandals (Louisville, Arizona ...) If Skerry graduates kids & puts a competitive team on the floor, he can have the job for life, as far as I’m concerned 

• Like 1

Not to mention that presumably the number of kids Skerry recruited out of HS who stayed the whole way through will increase after next year, with Thomas & McNeill. So, that’ll be JD, Morsell, EK, Thomas & McNeill in 3 years. 

Leaders are born, not made, in my opinion. Can’t fit a round peg in a square hole. It’s easy to be a “leader” when you’re winning; not so easy otherwise. Morsell for instance just doesn’t strike me as a kid who’s going to get in the face of other players. EK maybe is too much at the other end of the spectrum. 

We’ve got some kids coming in next season who appear to be high character and are used to winning. I also hope ZM takes charge as an upperclassman next season