• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
TuTigers2012

Skerry time to go?

Well, I looked it up. Only NE (1100 a game), Elon (1500 a game) & Drexel (a woeful 989 a game) drew less than our average of 1,564 a game. Keep in mind Elon’s gym (they’re moving to a new arena next season) probably only holds 2,000 or so, so they actually outdrew us when you consider percentage of seats occupied compared to total seats available. 

Our sucky attendance is the synergistic effect of: a weak OOC schedule, poor marketing, apathetic students, & a program that has failed to achieve any substantive success (NCAA tournament appearance) in over a quarter of a century 

• Like 1

Hofstra outdrew us by 270 a game. Also, I made a mistake-in raw numbers, Elon outdrew us 1,592 to 1,564 a game. UNCW nearly tripled us in attendance, while C of C more than doubled us & W&M did double us. UD & JMU easily surpassed us, by 1,000 a game. 

We have a beautiful, nearly new arena & a competitive team, but still attendance is woeful  

37 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

I totally agree that marketing stinks. I’m curious what attendance is at some of the other CAA schools for basketball. I don’t think Drexel draws flies, and I’m not sure about NE or Hofstra, but I’m guessing we’re in the lower tier when it comes to attendance. I noticed Morgan State had a sellout crowd of over 4K on its senior night. I guess it’s a combo in our case of poor marketing, apathetic students, & not making the dance in over a quarter century. 

It’s marketing.  Get frats and sororities involved. Have a half court shot for 10k or free room and board. When they move back in have a parents get in free day.  Free food and drinks and shirts. It doesn’t matter.  First two years of secu student showed well. 

Doesn’t hurt to upgrade concessions and advertise that we sell beer (affordable) at games

• Like 1

You’re preaching to the choir about the seemingly unimaginative marketing. However, it is interesting to note that the commuter schools (us, Hofstra, Drexel) are all at or near the bottom in attendance 

NE also appears, as best I can tell, to have more commuter students than those who live on campus. Their basketball attendance is likewise awful. 

The marketing geniuses should be required to jet to Phoenix and meet with the folks at Grand Canyon University.  They're in the WAC and they sell the damn place out for a number of home games.  Students show up an hour before the game and have been known to sway a recruit's decision.  Dan Majerle (former NBA star of the 90s) is their head coach.  They have been D1 for 5 years now and this is their first shot at getting into the Dance and they've got a pretty decent shot at it.  So how the heck does a no-name school in a big metropolitan area that's been D1 for such a short amount of time and has a 7200-seat arena that opened in 2011 average 6800+ fans?  Leonard and company should take a little field trip and get some pointers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tualum said:

Skerry will continue to recruit the same players and enforce his style of play as long as he stays here. The latter meaning the same results we've endured over the past couple of seasons. Now with an apathetic fan base such as ours along with little interest from the community/city in the program, this is acceptable (over .500 and graduate kids timely) and it would be difficult to remove him. Actually, I can imagine him staying as long as he wants with these results. Even if there were a miraculous CAA tourney run and we happen to go dancing, I doubt other bigger programs would take much interest in him. I mean after going 1-31 you can't get any worse and things would improve at some point. However he needs continued success and probably more than one NCAA run to jettison to a bigger program. Long story short, we have no choice but to accept it UNLESS the atmosphere and interest surrounding the program changes. That starts with the oh so apathetic students at Towson...

His style? This season we played zero defense and scored the hell out of the ball. That’s a 180 from the last 5 years. 

4 minutes ago, Chris Datres said:

The marketing geniuses should be required to jet to Phoenix and meet with the folks at Grand Canyon University.  They're in the WAC and they sell the damn place out for a number of home games.  Students show up an hour before the game and have been known to sway a recruit's decision.  Dan Majerle (former NBA star of the 90s) is their head coach.  They have been D1 for 5 years now and this is their first shot at getting into the Dance and they've got a pretty decent shot at it.  So how the heck does a no-name school in a big metropolitan area that's been D1 for such a short amount of time and has a 7200-seat arena that opened in 2011 average 6800+ fans?  Leonard and company should take a little field trip and get some pointers.

Also they are a for profit university. Amazing is it’s own right. 

Skerrys style is boring and at times brutal to watch  I liked bullying teams a de years back when we weren’t supposed to be good  and it pissed the other teams off   But it’s time to evolve and change     A tj type Grinder and a McGlynn shooter with Zane and gorham? They could look good unfortunately even with a skerry special (multiples d2s or lower) we are looking at a 8-10 finish 

7 minutes ago, griggey20 said:

His style? This season we played zero defense and scored the hell out of the ball. That’s a 180 from the last 5 years. 

66 against wm?  Yawn.  

Edited by TuTigers2012