• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

CAA title game lax blog

Mooney started as a freshman for St. Mary's (played on the same MIAA championship and top ranked team with Woodall) before transferring to Kent Island.  Given what we have on attack I think he will definitely compete for time. In 2016 was a top 100 listing. Switching to a public school probably hurt his ranking. Not say it should but that is the reality. 

Zimnoch is very quick and explosive and is St. Paul's best player. It is hard to translate into how he will compete as a freshman on the next level but he is a (Ty Xanders) top 100 player.

Alex Reid is also very quick but small. 

Jack Connelly from Calvert hall was also a top 100 listing in 2016-17.

The recruit that is probably having the best year is 2019 commit Evan Long a goalie from McDonogh. Evan has really quick hands and has an outstanding year for the top ranked team in the Baltimore area. 

Height doesn't matter much but you can't be 5-10, 150 pounds and be effective unless you are Mikey Powell or a ridiculous athlete. Most likely, these guys will redshirt if they don't bulk up. Look at Wies this season. He was about 6-0, 170 and it showed. He struggled against contact all season and had just 8 goals and 7 assists. Not good numbers for an attackman who started every game.

Unless we have some strong redshirt freshmen, I see us going the transfer route again. Maybe a juco on offense. We haven't had a good one in awhile. We struck gold with Ewell and we need a big-time player up front, preferable a feeder-type to run the offense. I don't think Johnny G. showed enough to be a starter. I'd move Sunday back to midfield assuming Mazza is back. Move Monahan to attack though I understand Gilardi being skeptical of making that move considering he was a turnover-machine this season. But putting him on first-midfield is not good either. I'd like to see more of M Andrew Beacham next season because he has some of that electric quickness we are missing. He just needs more strength and playing time.

Other question is whether Nads will return. I know he was courted last year by Michigan and he considered it. Not sure if there are any job openings that would intrigue him other than Hop and they look like they could be a Fianal Four team.

On 5/6/2018 at 10:03 PM, mat1992 said:

Height doesn't matter much but you can't be 5-10, 150 pounds and be effective unless you are Mikey Powell or a ridiculous athlete. Most likely, these guys will redshirt if they don't bulk up. Look at Wies this season. He was about 6-0, 170 and it showed. He struggled against contact all season and had just 8 goals and 7 assists. Not good numbers for an attackman who started every game.

Unless we have some strong redshirt freshmen, I see us going the transfer route again. Maybe a juco on offense. We've had a good one in awhile. We struck gold with Ewell and we need a big-time player up front, preferable a feeder-type to run the offense. I don't think Johnny G. showed enough to be a starter. I'd move Sunday back to midfield assuming Mazza is back. Move Monahan to attack though I understand Gilardi being skeptical of making that move considering he was a turnover-machine this season. But putting him on first-midfield is not good either. I'd like to see more of M Andrew Beacham next season because he has some of that electric quickness we are missing. He just needs more strength and playing time.

Other question is whether Nads will return. I know he was courted last year by Michigan and he considered it. Not sure if there are any job openings that would intrigue him other than Hop and they look like they could be a Fianal Four team.

I don't see a big time job opening this year. I know we had Princeton in 2016 courting him as well.  Petro is not going anywhere after having a successful season.  Possibilities down the road include Duke is Danowski retires but I know Danowski's son also wants that job. 

48 minutes ago, TUvet said:

I don't see a big time job opening this year. I know we had Princeton in 2016 courting him as well.  Petro is not going anywhere after having a successful season.  Possibilities down the road include Duke is Danowski retires but I know Danowski's son also wants that job. 

There are always job openings but for him, it would have to be the right one along with right price. I'm not sure he'd leave if he was thrilled with his situation but I don't think he's 100% happy here.

4 hours ago, mat1992 said:

There are always job openings but for him, it would have to be the right one along with right price. I'm not sure he'd leave if he was thrilled with his situation but I don't think he's 100% happy here.

Can you expound on why you think he is not 100% happy here?  If he feels he has taken the program to it highest point and wants a new challenge I get it.  Michigan with being in the Big 10 and great facilities was a great job. I know it was not a significant pay raise and may have even been a pay cut. I also know his wife teaching at Towson was also a factor. .  There will be job openings I just don't see a job the caliber of Michigan open this year.

2 hours ago, TUvet said:

Can you expound on why you think he is not 100% happy here?  If he feels he has taken the program to it highest point and wants a new challenge I get it.  Michigan with being in the Big 10 and great facilities was a great job. I know it was not a significant pay raise and may have even been a pay cut. I also know his wife teaching at Towson was also a factor. .  There will be job openings I just don't see a job the caliber of Michigan open this year.

Just heard rumblings that he isn't happy about a particular aspect of the athletic department and I'll leave it at that.

3 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Just heard rumblings that he isn't happy about a particular aspect of the athletic department and I'll leave it at that.

That is very disappointing to hear. In my opinion far and away the university's most successful mens' coach. 

That doesn't mean he's leaving because he's unhappy about a certain thing. Like I said, there might not be a job opening that intrigues him but Michigan was a legit play last season. Thankfully, he stayed. But you have to be realistic and think that the atmosphere at a Towson game is horrendous compared to Maryland, Syracuse, Hopkins, Loyola, etc. Those jobs aren't open but I can't imagine that he's thrilled with the way we promote a team that went to the final four last season. The weather plays a part to the horrific attendance but again, my guess they'd like a little more respect.