• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Comments from the Nova game

I’m one who has been skeptical of some of our recent transfers (Mahalak, Olsen, Tsimis, CJ Williams, Kilgore) who for one reason or another have underproduced, or simply not produced at all. But I agree that yesterday’s W was in large measure due to the production of transfers. 

Lets face it, other than maybe North Dakota State, any FCS team that is successful is going to sprinkle in some transfers. There are always going to be FBS kids looking to transfer, for a myriad of reasons. I believe we had a number of transfers who were key contributors during the 2013 championship game season. 

All those guys you mentioned were hurt save for Olsen. Tough to judge guys that are injured. Now sure, we should never have given Olsen a second chance and Tsimis and Williams already had an injury history but you can't produce if you aren't on the field. Kilgore was also injured and whether he was good, great or average, it's tough when you don't have solid quarterbacking because Mahalak is injured. 

I have no problem with getting FBS or juco transfers at the FCS level. Everybody brings them in. The issue is finding good ones and doing a better job recruiting at the QB spot so we don't have to hit and miss on Brennan, Olsen and Mahalak, even though he was hurt

1 hour ago, tualum said:

Well for once the transfers did work out after being stuck in the rut for a few years. Still recruiting wise we are subpar. Would like to see some growth, maturity and talent from guys right out high school...

For once, we kind of agree. We're never going to be JMU but I'd like to be upper-echelon in recruiting every year. Bringing in these new assistants like Justin Harper should help. Ambrose wasn't kidding when he said this was his best summer of recruiting ever. That's where he brought in Deberry, Flacco, Yeedee, Clark, Shuman, etc. Even this guard Shetelski from Charlotte might help at some point this year or in the future.

I was glad to see us throw to the tight end (and once to the fullback) even though Clark wasn't there. 

Speaking of tight ends -- we sure didn't cover Nova's, who had eight catches, all for big gains. Any idea if there were missed assignments (again and again) or was the guy running great patterns?

I'm also worried about the freshman DB, No. 6. He looked clueless at times. Will he be playing in place of someone going forward?

Last of all: Though I think our coaches did a great job overall, I was disappointed by RA's penalty. He's come out on the field and thrown tantrums countless times, so I'm only surprised that more flags haven't been thrown in the past. If he's going to tell his players to keep their wits about them (Fenner's late hit in the 4th quarter was uncharacteristic of him), then the head coach has to as well.

The only reason No. 6 Jamal Gay played was because Reaves was injured. He should be back in two weeks. You are asking a lot to put a freshman in that situation against a team that lines up with so many different formations and he looked lost a times. But I was worried about our depth at safety going into the season. Gay probably outplayed Tippett at strong safety. Neither appears to be ready. But I'm more worried about the play of Fenner and Wallace. They are both seniors. No excuse for the missed assignments but let's also understand that Villanova is one of the best FCS teams in the nation. Fenner also has two late hits this season. Sure, RA has gone off several times over the years and I don't care what the linesman was doing on Saturday, you can't go off and get a penalty there and give them good field position on the ensuing kickoff.

Nova is loaded on offense. They have a dominant offensive line, though they did have an injury at center, two big running backs, a strong receiving corps, an excellent TE and one of the best QBs  in the country. You are not going to hold them under 20 points. But you can't just give them two two or three TDs with wide open receivers.