• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Quotes from the Maine game

Rob opening comment
Proud of our guys and how they responded. We were an entirely different football team in the second half. More like a football team we had been most of the year. There's noone in the month of any month up to this week would have said that the last two mintues of the Maine/Towson game ws going to be an important two minutes. That shows a lot of hard work on a lot of peoples parts. We didn't do enough to get the job done. We were in the driver's seat and we gave that up by not taking care of the little things. We'll get back to work tomorrow to find a way to be a good Elon team.

On lingering effects of Delaware game
There's only about five guys on this team that have had a winning season and they now how to win and had dealt with how do you recover after you lose. I didn't do a good enough job as a head coach getting them back. I tried every trick in the book. It was like a hangover. It took us until Wednesday, maybe even later before we actually settled back in. I think we get it now. The difference between the looks of the player's eyes after the Delaware game and then after the Maine game. One was hurt, the other was taker. A little bit of a chip on our shoulder.

On last few play
For anybody that watched the Delaware game, that was the fake of the one we scored the two-point conversion on. Rolling the dice, didn't win this time.

Vashon McCants on pick
It started with the film on Sunday. That's where we watch film. I just knew where the split was. No. 2 was on the ball and one was off. I called it out. I knew he was going to do a short motion. I had to jump the inside, he didn't block me and the ball was in my hands.

Vashon on second half
That Delaware game took a toll on us as a team and a unit. One play can change everything. One play.

Rob on last play again
We handed to Shane in the Delaware game who hands it to the other Shane (Leatherbury) and he flips it to Tom. This was the fake version of this. 

On being down 21-7 at the half
We were discussing what we were going to do. Are we going to go for 2 in regulation or take it to overtime. Games are 60 minutes and you want to squeeze the most out of it. Everybody is doing the best. Sometimes you just miss. We're going to come back and tighten up. The margin for error is very small when you are playing great teams.

On thinking about going for 2 
Oh God yeah. The last few calls were chess calls. If this, then that. This then that. He blew a timeout. We had a trick play where we covered up the tight end and they had sniffed that. That's why you saw me running down to call timeout because I knew it wasn't going to work. So we moved on to the next one.

Flacco on Maine and first half
I had some passes I thought I should have hit. I had Shane running down the field. The first pick I threw, that was a nice play by number six but I knew I had to get it over him. I saw him pre-snap and I looked to the left and to the right. The second one was a bad decision. Too many times today did I not execute what was called in the first half and second half.

On defense
They were doing what everybody is doing. They drop a lot of guys, they play man with two guys deep. They are not really coming. They are coming at me. They are spying me. It's expected. They executed well. Their defense was awesome. I need to execute better.

They were good at containing. When I scrambled, they continued to cover well. I missed Gallahan late in the game when I scrambled. That's because they are in man, not in zone. In the second half, I thought we had them tired out. But that's a credit to them. As an offense, we just need to execute better.

Ambrose on defense improveent in the second half
We played bettter on offense. We put less pressure on them. We forced a turnover that changed momentum. The minute that happened, we were a different football team. 

We played harder. We had more juice. We finally got past Delaware. Great atmosphere. You want meaningful games in November. We have to play 60 minutes of our job. Not just great series here and there. We have to do our job.

On playoff picture
If we don't win, it doesn't matter. That's all there it is to it. We have to go back to work tomorrow. Almost had Elon a year ago and lost in double OT. We in no way will be hungover.

On cornerbacks
Disappointed with the effort that we had last week. We knew we had to make a change. Not necessarily a wholesale change but nobody's job is safe if you are not going to do your job. So we're playing everybody and we're going to re-evaluate those guys based on the film and we'll see where they are at.

Blah blah blah.  Let Flacco decide the game. And not run it up the middle and throw some bs gadget play. Real schools and programs would be roasting him for his “performance” the past 4-5 years.  He is back being a middling fbs o-coordinator without west 

Just words in the wind, following yet another mind numbing L, which is about to be part of another season without a playoff appearance.