• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB falls to Northeastern, 73-58

https://towsontigers.com/news/2019/2/23/mens-basketball-betrand-ties-career-high-against-northeastern.aspx

Northeastern got their revenge and Towson fell to 10-19 overall and 6-10 in the CAA. Will need help from Delaware against Drexel tonight but it really comes down to Elon and W&M. Win both, we should get the top 6 because Drexel has Hofstra coming up and Northeastern at home. If they win today over Delaware at home and split, not sure if they have the tiebreaker unless they beat Hofstra.

As for the game, we had 13 turnovers, but most took place in second half. We had a one-point lead going into the second half after a 10-0 run. Again, poor point guard play as Howard had four turnovers and Dottin  went 1 for 5. No turnovers, but his misses are so bad, they are like turnovers. Guards had just 2 assists. Dottin had zero. Skerry mentioned it in post game. Sanders had 13 points and should have had more had the guards gotten him the ball. One time, Fobbs, who had 2 assists, dropped off a perfect feed to Sanders and he missed from a foot instead of dunking it. Another time, they ran into each other trying to grab a rebound and it went out of bounds. NE doubled, tripled and quadrupled Fobbs all day. Forced him right and took some bad shots. Had just 10 points on 4-13 FG and 0-5 3pt. Fatigue may have caught up with him. Betrand a career day with 11 points on 5-of-8 shooting. Can't win when Fobbs had 10 points and team shoots 2 of 14 from 3pt. Again, some of that may have been fatigue coming off 2OT game but McNeill had both threes. Nothing from Howard and Fobbs.

Here are some of quotes from Skerry in post game

"We turned the ball over. Thought we played hard. Field goal D suffered because of our turnovers. I'm disappointed. They're a good team. Played hard enough
Passing and catching was really bad today. I told the guys it was not acceptable. Betrand played well and has 10 assists to 1 turnover his last three games.
Thought Nakye was good. Disappointed that our guards couldn't get him the ball more. Brian wasn't good today. He was rejecting the ball screen today. Point guard position wasn't good enough They had a little spurt late. It was bit tighter. Passing and catching was bad today. We are aware of it. We have two scholarships. We have to deliver on that. Our passing, 13 turnovers were right to the other team. We had careless turnovers. I ain't ok to do that. I hadn't laid into them for awhile
We're going to need a big crowd on Thursday. We have to play well. We are evaluating everything. We've seen some good stuff. We have to play. Pressure builds diamonds. There's pressure. I'm excited to see people respond do that."

That's about as angry as I've heard PS all year after a game. They never seem to play well in his hometown. A lot has to do with Northeastern and Coen. But the Huskies were not good today until the last 10-12 minutes. They just took advantage of some awful passing and started getting hot late. Pusica's numbers look a lot better than he was but great players find a way to win when they aren't playing their best. He wasn't losing on Senior Day. Hopefully, another San Diego U transfer has at least half the impact (Gray) that Pusica had.

Well naturally, Hofstra loses at home in OT (yakked a 5-point lead) to JMU, 103-99. Lewis for JMU goes off for 40. Also, Delaware is losing to Drexel with 11 minutes left. UNCW did lose today. I think the only possible way we’re avoiding the play-in is to win the last 2 games at home. I’m not at all confident that splitting would do it.

This really is a balanced league. No team is truly outstanding. I guess that bodes well for us. If I had to choose a team it would be NE only due to the combination of somewhat above average talent along with superior coaching.

Hofstra fans are complaining about the refs. They should really be complaining about Mihalich for not using his bench because they look tired, especially on the defensive end. Drexel loses Harper and Kurk Lee Jr. and they still beat Delaware. Now the Hens don't have Anderson, their point guard. Knowing that in the second half, that is to time to trap or press their guards. We have our own issues we need to worry about and it starts in the backcourt.

Delaware looked awful today, and they close out with NE & Hofstra, though both at home. If we win our last 2, we could possibly finish with the same conference record as them

19 hours ago, mat1992 said:

Hofstra fans are complaining about the refs. They should really be complaining about Mihalich for not using his bench because they look tired, especially on the defensive end. Drexel loses Harper and Kurk Lee Jr. and they still beat Delaware. Now the Hens don't have Anderson, their point guard. Knowing that in the second half, that is to time to trap or press their guards. We have our own issues we need to worry about and it starts in the backcourt.

I’m sure they are complaining about southern bias again like the whiney dragon fans. Blowing an ot lead? Very Towson like. Milhalic is an awful coach

We got owned by Murphy and are headed to the play in game. Right now would be the 8 seed and get elon. We do not hold our own destiny we would need jmu and Drexel to lose

15 minutes ago, TuTigers2012 said:

I’m sure they are complaining about southern bias again like the whiney dragon fans. Blowing an ot lead? Very Towson like. Milhalic is an awful coach

We got owned by Murphy and are headed to the play in game. Right now would be the 8 seed and get elon. We do not hold our own destiny we would need jmu and Drexel to lose

Everyone expected (most did) an 0-2 road trip and that's what we got. If we win out at home, we'll get a top 6 seed-probably. If those teams win out, great for them. I don't see Drexel sweeping Northeastern and Hofstra at home. JMU has Elon and W&M at home. Delaware has NE and Hofstra at home. They can get swept and finish 8-10. It's possibly W&M finishes 8-10. Drexel could finish 8-10. I don't know about tiebreakers. I do know we need to go 2-0 at home and if we go 8-10, considering how we started the season, losing Timberlake, Thomas playing with a torn laburm in his hip, getting very little from the PG, five new starters, that's a solid accomplishment. But can they do it? Have to beat W&M first. That will be very tough but not impossible.