• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

MBB Falls to W&M, 67-65

Tough loss but as mentioned before, a JMU and Drexel loss with a Towson win over Elon and we avoid the play-in game. Maybe we don't deserve it but there are a bunch of teams that don't deserve it. Here are the comments.

Skerry opening comments

Kids are playing hard. W&M is good. They are better than their record. We've had a lot of these close losses. Everything gets magnified. I thought our defense was pretty good but we got beat by a couple of back cuts late. A couple of fouls, I have to watch the tapes. The stripes tonight were kind of edgy, they had a lot of travel. I put this one on myself. We have a big game Saturday, Try to turn the page. Guys were fighting. Nakye had his cornea scratched yesterday (the reason he wore goggles). That's hard for him. Guys are banged up.

We're battling pretty good. Our offense was choppy tonight. We knew they would play more zone than they normally would play. Practiced more against zone this week. Passing was rough tonight. We have to keep getting better at it. Have to add to what we've got.

On last few plays

We have to go to Brian. We've asked a lot of him. Had 22 points on 14 shots. He's by far the most productive guy we had. I think as we move forward, we'll be able to add more pieces so he doesn't have to do as much. We'll be better for that. Sanders had been playing pretty good. I wasn't sure he was going to play before the game. Played 20 minutes.

On not calling timeout

We've only got 2 or 3 specials and we're going to run one of those. We practice those daily. We want to get the ball in (Fobbs) hands. If we're going to lose, he's the guy I want to have the last shot. I wanted to get him the ball on the last shot by T.J. was open and he was worried about getting it blocked. I mentioned in the huddle to not worry about it, shoot it quickly, but that's on me. Said do not change your shot. Just have to shoot the shot, if goes in great, if not.

On play of freshmen

I didn't play Jakigh much today. He had a couple of turnovers off the gate and they are playing zone. He's got work to do against zone. TJ gave us a good spurt. We have to get better in that spot. Allen (Betrand) has been playing well. He didn't shoot great but he has 12 assists and one turnover over his last four games on a team that doesn't always take care of the ball, that's going to get you more minutes.. Solomon wasn't great tonight. He's still learning how to play facing the basket. He wasn't ready to face Knight. I thought we didi a pretty good job on Knight.

On team

I'm really appreciative that the team worked pretty hard and fought through a lot of stuff. Missing guys, close losses, not getting the waiver (Gray). All that good stuff. You always feel as a coach that if you had done a better job, we'd be a 17 or 18 win team by now. We've had so many of these. I've somewhat encouraged by the group we have, if they get better. If we can finish our recruiting, we can be back to where we are accustomed to being. I'm really happy with our defense. We've done that most of the year. They hung around. Any time we turned it over in the first half, they made a three. We're missing open shots and they are making tough shots.

On Howard

Zone is better for him. He's a capable shot maker. He has to take some shots. Has take care of the ball, guard, shoot a higher percentage. Our perimeter shooting other than Fobs is not good on the season. I'm not telling you something you don't know. We have some work to do in that area.