• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Watching the first half....

So many missed tackles. I get a guy like Diondre Wallace missing tackles on Tye Johnson or Turner. Though that's not excusable. He's just not in the same zipcode when it comes to speed. But a guy like Mitch Boals runs a 4.4 or something to that effect and he's just not getting off blocks and missing tackles. A safety has to show a lot more toughness. Not sure Scroggins is ready for more time yet and at this point, they might as well redshirt Tippett. 

Don't want to just mention Boles or Wallace, the entire secondary struggled to tackle and the LBs. Also, one tackle from Bryce Carter and no tackles from Malik Tyne. Have to get more from OLBs/Rush ends. D.J. Moore is 5-11, 215. That's pretty big for a receiver but you would have thought he was Calvin Johnson against our team. Again, when you compare him to Greenwood, physically they are just so different. Same with Leatherbury (5-10, 165) and Jabari Allen (6-3, 180). All thin. That's why I'd like to see Richardson (6-1, 210) to work underneath more because he's physical.

Also just obvious that when we play new guys or even transfers like Greenwood or Leatherbury, if they haven't been through the strength program, they look tiny compared to Maryland's players. They'll be bigger next season, but that's not helping us now.

Watching that goal line stand in the second quarter was impressive. Nice seeing Christian Johnson finally make plays. Love seeing Tibo D. getting some time in the 2nd quarter and again, another true freshman playing. Also nice to see J. Veii get shut down. I think Lyrics covered him the whole way. One thing that is a bit obvious is that JPD, though doing the best he could against Moore, doesn't have the speed to be an elite corner. Just doesn't have that catchup speed.

Five in the backfield. What a BS call on that long Dorsey reception. Stover also threw some nice deep balls. That one to Richardson down the sideline was inches away from being caught and they got the Terps for a PI. I've been saying Richardson should get the ball as a runner because he's like a RB. I'd rather him get the ball on those end arounds than Leatherbury. Watching that pick six from Stover, he just panicked on the blitz up the middle, Shane just missed a block and Stover under duresss, threw it up for grabs. Bad play. Sometimes, you just have to take the sack or try and avoid it. I think he'll learn from that.

If we could just bottle the second quarter and throw away the first where Stover was nervous, we have something there. Of course, I haven't watched the third quarter yet. I taped the late replay and they edited out the first Md TD and the Towson drive late where we could have kicked a FG. Oh well. Still not as down as I'd thought I'd be but I'll watch 3rd quarter tomorrow or whatever they have on that replay.

A lot of good points but if they don't find a way to bring it all together against St Francis it's going to be a long season.question for you Matt if there going to try to run up the middle why they not using David Bryant since he is a bigger back. I am not even going to mention James scott.but I do know this they used 3 different backs in both games nothing going you can blame the line but you still gotta have the ability to make something happen .shane is great all purpose guy but up the middle 180 pounds not happen unless you are Vito and he was 225

I don't get using Adrian Platt at 5-7, 185 pounds as your short yardage back. Bryant is 230 and even if he's basically a walk-on, there's no reason why not to use him on 3rd and 1. I guess they are just waiting for C.J. Williams to come back from injury and he's about 220. But it is what it is. They didn't have to use a big back when they had T-West and Vito. Now they have Shane and he's just not a pile mover. Not his fault at 200 or less. However, Maryland has a monster line and they used Lorenzo Harrison on Saturday at the goal line. Do you know how big he is? He's 5-8, 195 and he's more of a power back than Tye Johnson, who's about 210 at 5-10. So even Md OC Walt Bell uses a guy that he feels comfortable with, though he's nowhere close to being a big back.

So why not use scott had a great spring bench 450 squat over 500 strongest one on the team I am sure he can soften up the defense. Unless it's personal!!! One thing for sure can't do no worse he killing the first team defense in practice.speaking from a coaches stand point a lot of decisions are beyond my understanding if you trying to win  see what the guys got at this point if it doesn't work you know were you stand.

28 minutes ago, Ironman42 said:

So why not use scott had a great spring bench 450 squat over 500 strongest one on the team I am sure he can soften up the defense. Unless it's personal!!! One thing for sure can't do no worse he killing the first team defense in practice.speaking from a coaches stand point a lot of decisions are beyond my understanding if you trying to win  see what the guys got at this point if it doesn't work you know were you stand.

You always bring up Scott. You his dad or something?

Score 63 to17 anybody you had on the Towson sideline that you thought you might wanted to take a look at that might could help the team going on they should have been played unless you were redshirt them anyway.its a team it's a program build it not for just one season but every season 

No I am not his dad for the second time he played in the 757 were I coach.there are also 3 other guys on that team that I coach against fenner,upshaw and jones before that Darnell Lewis , Andre dessenberg and I could go on and on about all the players I have coach against or work with in camp or 7 on 7 . I support and follow all of them see when we send players out of the state we don't forget about them 757

I didn't see the Morgan game.  And knew it was going to be hard to run on UMD.  But we don't have a real RB.  We have multiple third down backs.  Why we kept running them inside is beyond me.  Stover wasn't horrible, especially after he calmed down.  The O-line surprised me how well they pass protected against taller faster players.  Getting that TD called back followed up by the interception took all the wind out of our sails.

That freshman QB #11 is special.