• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TSU88

A few post-loss observations

In no particular order: (1) Our O-Line is no good; (2) this is particularly problematic because we're now basically reduced to a 5'7 freshman RB; (3) doesn't seem like our WR's are getting separation. Every catch seems strained, and very few cases of hitting a receiver in stride; (4) our freshman QB has potential, but given that he's a freshman, & combined with factors 1, 2, & 3 mentioned above, is it any wonder that after 4 games our highest point output is 17; (5) with Simpson out for an extended period, & no idea if/when Mahalak is going to play again (who unfortunately seems to be made of porcelain) the offense will likely continue to sputter; (6) the D doesn't get enough pass rush. We basically got carved up tonight by a so-so QB; (7) does anyone see any significant schematic difference from this (with a new coordinator) vs last year?; (8) we have some serious deficiencies in the secondary with JPD & Boals; (9) Elon & RI, the usual conference bottom feeders, appear to be improved. Given that, where, REALISTICALLY do we get any more W's this season?; (10) 2013 is a million years ago-a season that was somewhat of an aberration, fueled by a once in a generation player in T West (who last time I checked is out of college eligibility). Bottom line-the elephant in the room, whether anyone likes it or not, is that we are relegated to 4 win seasons until there is a coaching change, which, for contractual reasons, is perhaps several years away, depending on when RA's contract expires.

Simpson has a minor knee injury. Should be back for Villanova game.

Not sure about when Mahalak is going to play again. It's not that he's made of porcelain. This injury is not a joke. Different than last season's broken collarbone.

Pass rush is a joke and the lack of blitz is just typical of this team. I'm not saying be Buddy Ryan but you have to take some chances. With a new DC, in my opinion, that goes back to the head coach. Every DC comes into a new team and says we're going to be more aggressive. We're going to force turnovers. Other than the Morgan game against probably the worst offense in the nation, we've forced how many TO's? And yes, we had one in the first half by the special teams that the REF said he didn't see or the video didn't show but we saw. Huh? The CAA has to explain that one because that was an obvious strip by Bryce Carter.

Also agree about JPD (should be a safety next year) and Boles (not a safety). JPD was replaced in the fourth quarter by McDade and I saw another true freshman out there in safety Vashon McCants, who maybe they are pushing to start at safety eventually. Fenner and Klugh aren't bad but if you don't have pass rush, it doesn't really matter.

Oh, I forgot #11-we get outcoached on a regular basis. Tonight's "genius" decisions-calling pass plays at the end of the 1st half, instead of running the ball. Even if Stony Brook stuffs the run, they would have burned their timeouts, which instead they were able to preserve & use on their last drive of the 1st half, which resulted in a FG. And, the oh-so-crafty 4th down call in the 4th Q, where instead of letting the QB, who was having success running, try to pick up the 1st down, we dialed up a play for a 180 lb freshman RB. Oy vey.

i don't see a change until after 2019 if this doesn't turn around. Contracts ends in 2020. TL could force more personnel changes on the coaching staff. We know who the next scapegoat might be and while I don't think it's been all his fault, JA may not be fired but maybe demoted.

But it goes back to the line. Not sure why they can't get better linemen. I thought Garnett was going to be next Bushrod and he can't even get on the field.

And where's the JUCO guy, Dmitri Francis? 

Look, I fervently hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see many W's the rest of the season.

4 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Oh, I forgot #11-we get outcoached on a regular basis. Tonight's "genius" decisions-calling pass plays at the end of the 1st half, instead of running the ball. Even if Stony Brook stuffs the run, they would have burned their timeouts, which instead they were able to preserve & use on their last drive of the 1st half, which resulted in a FG. And, the oh-so-crafty 4th down call in the 4th Q, where instead of letting the QB, who was having success running, try to pick up the 1st down, we dialed up a play for a 180 lb freshman RB. Oy vey.

Yes, 100 percent agree about the first half though Gallahan gets hit in the shoulder pads when he doesn't turn around. That's probably a first down but it was inexcusable to give them the ball back with that much time left. You know at worst, they were going to score a FG.

2 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

And where's the JUCO guy, Dmitri Francis? 

Look, I fervently hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see many W's the rest of the season.

I have been calling for him all season in the chats and on this site. They like Rusolillo for some reason. Maybe it's taking him longer to get the offense and the calls but geez, we aren't running the ball. Harris should be playing left guard or left tackle and have Francis at LT or LG. Either one but we get a lot bigger with a 325-pound Francis and 310-pound Harris on the left side.

The jet sweep to Kobe and the WR screen with 1 minute left in the game were two horrific calls. Also the weird ass formation when we had the ball inside the 5 was dumb. 

Everything is on the Oline.

The future is not that bleak guys. Dorsey, Young, Platt, Jaelen Thompson (rs), Christian Greaves (rs), Jabari Allen all have some talent. Jeff Miller is coming in next season at QB. Stover will get better. The juco kid Speaks is a RB who is out for the year due to injury. He could have helped. Jabari Greenwood is just a sophomore. Same with Leatherbury. Myles Wright is a legit receiving tight end who is out this year due to a knee injury. All about line getting better and should get better because Harris is only senior.

Defense is another story.