• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Javonni Bickham

9 minutes ago, sr16 said:

Agreed. Think it is more realistic to go from mid major in bball to growth and continued success. But if we're gunna be real. We ARE a lacrosse school. 

No reason that we can't be a Hoops/Lax school

• Like 1

Well I'm in the minority too.  Waddell wanted Towson to be a basketball school.  Leonard had grand hopes for FB when he arrived at Towson and I'm going to assume those hopes are now to a much smaller degree.  It's much easier to gain national recognition in MBB than it will ever be for FB playing at the FCS level.  And with that recognition comes revenue from the NCAA and donors.  The return on investment is clearly greater in MBB.  But back to the subject of MBB recruits, let's hope for some verbal commits soon.  As someone else I think said in one of the posts, a player that will be a program changer for us. 

MLax has been my favorite (Towson or otherwise) for decades. Didn't mean to overlook them, except that the $$ & school recognition won't be there nearly as much for a national championship in lax as it would be for hoops. The flip side of course is, it's so much easier to get to the semi-finals in MLax (3x for Towson to date) than MBb (never got past the 1st Round in '90 & '91, the only 2 years we've qualified)... We certainly have good coaches these last 4-5 years in both sports; better than Ambrose, who did take us to the pinacle, but seems to have lost his mojo now.

Not sure what the rush is as far as getting commits. I don't know that we're getting a game-changer or program-changer. I just think the Higgs thing was a fantasy. He was too good for this league. My fault for sorta putting it out there and they were definitely interested in Wood. They decided to go elsewhere when he extended his announcement. I honestly do not know who that point guard, but I don't know about changing the game. We just need good talent and good players. Especially at the guard spot.

Seems like the only time we can get a big-time player is if he transfers in.

Well, it’s a bit of a vicious cycle; to get impact players we’ve got to start winning the regular season conference and/or the conference tournament; to win in that fashion requires impact players. See where I’m going with this?

The kid from Fla (who’s last name I’ll never learn to pronounce) seems like a legit prospect. As for transfers, we hit on Benimon, but even with him we didn’t go dancing. I think Moro, at least in my mind, was a victim of being overhyped, to a degree. On the heels of Benimon, & coming from the ACC, I had him pegged as a 20/10 guy, which, except for a few games, he just wasn’t. We’ve still got 2 open ships, so I’m optimistic PS is going to bring in some good talent to go along with the 2 commits we already have.

Edited by TSU88

Thought Moto looked great in his sit-out season but when he got on the floor, he was just a good player, not a great player. I thought starting at Wake Forest for part of the games would translate to him being a great or very good CAA player. He was good but he didn't elevate the team or make them better when he was on the floor. He was a complimentary player at Wake Forest and sometimes it's tough to make those guys a star. He was a bit disappointing but I never got the feeling that he had that something extra to make him a great player. Not that he didn't work hard, he did but didn't have that extra intensity needed. Ralph Guthrie was a very good transfer, Bilal Dixon was good for a year, Mike Burwell was solid, Morman has been pretty good and there's the other spectrum of A.J. Astroth and Josh Ivory. Four McGlynn and Alex Gavrilovic also disappointing.

So transfers are hit and miss. Personally, I'm not blown away by Nakye Sanders. His offense is very raw. He was a poor FT shooter at Duquesne. But he will help on the boards and on D. He'll get some putbacks and you need guys like that to do the dirty work. He'll also push Thomas, Tunstall and Gorham. Competition is always good and you don't have to play Solomon U. right away.