• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
TSU88

Richmond postmortem

But screw it, there have been so many mistakes made and I know it didn't start with Olsen. When you go to a championship game, you have should be able to pick better players. Look, I still think we had a pretty good recruiting class. A lot of these kids are playing this year but probably shouldn't. I see a kid like Coby Tibbett and he recovers a fumble in his first game. But today, he looked a bit small and slow. Richmond is legit on offense.

Whatever happened to Parker, the LB who decommitted from Syracuse? Just another ballyhooed recruit who seems to disappear into a vortex once they come here.

Wait until the last Home game vs URI, where me & a few other diehards might have to sit through the final indignity of the season. Depressing

Well, the playoffs are a distant memory, so I tend to agree. Might as well play kids who haven’t played up to this point, to evaluate whether they can contribute next season.

To the bright side, I know it's tough when you score three points, but there were a couple of things I liked today.

1)Tristan Harris. He moved the ball with his arm and his legs. He did get more work this week and maybe that was to prepare for another turnover-laden Stover performance. That throw to Richardson was a beaut. He started out wobbly but if the can add some running packages and spread option stuff, maybe we can actually score TDs and eventually break the 20-point barriers.

2)Defense. I like how Lyndon Johnson dialed up the blitz. Shame that the Keon Paye 92-INT return was called back. I didn't see a hold but

For you stats geeks-we’ve scored 7 TD’s in 6 games. We’ve scored 72 points in 6 games, for an average of 12 ppg. We have not had a game where we’ve scored more than 2 TD’s in a game. Single highest scoring output in a game this year-17 points

Edited by TSU88

No one mentions problems with our scheme, but to me that's just as important as our other deficiencies. The Richmond receivers were wide open all day. One reason we threw so many INTs is that our WRs weren't getting separation. Are our athletes inferior? Maybe. But I think it has more to do with schemes. Ours are predictable and unimaginative.

Well, since you mentioned it, I keep rhetorically asking myself why don’t we have any gadget plays? When you can’t beat the opposition straight up, why not try some chicanery? What do we have to lose? Why not try no-huddle? If you look up vanilla in Webster’s it will read, “see TU offense.”

Richmond has better and bigger receivers, a better offensive line and an All-American quarterback. He has open receivers every game. They usually line up with four receivers in a lot of different formations. We have Paye on a slot receiver and Lyrics, McDade and usually a safety on another wide out. We give up the 4-5 yard pass short because we don't want them to beat us deep. Also remember JPD was out with that concussion so we had very little experience behind Lyrics and McDade.

1 hour ago, TSU88 said:

Well, since you mentioned it, I keep rhetorically asking myself why don’t we have any gadget plays? When you can’t beat the opposition straight up, why not try some chicanery? What do we have to lose? Why not try no-huddle? If you look up vanilla in Webster’s it will read, “see TU offense.”

We did try an end around to Leatherbury and we do 1-2 gadget plays a game. I think we tried a flea flicker in our last game and Stover had not time so he had to get rid of it. Not a lot you can do with that line.

However, you are not going to go no-huddle against Richmond and have quick drives so your defense has no rest. Now if Tristan Harris is the quarterback, I have no problem with going no-huddle. It's never been a staple of this team because they had no faith in their defense. They should have no faith in the offense and I'd try anything at this point to score points.