• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Future

I wish I can come on here and say Jeff Miller and everything else will rescue the program, but unless they make more changes before the inevitable, we need great players to change this around. Great players like T-West and a very good O-line was good enough for three great seasons (2012 team was best ever). The bottom line is that we can't run that smash-mouth football sh-t anymore without that line and T-West. Time to move on from the near past and adjust to the times. Without Wethington (might be back?) or Vito. Love Shane and I think he can some great things but needs help. Needs a better line and a legit QB to take them out of the box. I do like Myles Wright at TE and well, I haven't really seen Chris Greaves, who is coming back next season. BUt I'd like to see one more big WR ala Summers or Dess.

Defense has shown some signs of improvement. Until LJ can find some defensive linemen that are studs, instead of overachievers, we'll be that bend but not break D. If the offense wasn't so bad, the D would have gotten more attention. Some really good, strong tackling last night. Two great plays by Paye, including the strip on the first play of the game after he was beaten badly. Wallace has come on and Fenner is solid. Just need more speed in the secondary, more size up front on the line. 

But to me, the rest of the season is finding out if Harris or Stover can be the future at QB. If not, I don't think a true freshman is going to turn this program back around. Unless he's a bigger version of Aaron Rodgers or Big Ben in his prime, it's nearly impossible. Mahala was supposed to be that guy and I don't know if he ever was, even if healthy. But he did a least a solid job of running the offense in those last three games last season and he at least had a confidence that good QBs have. Damn shame that he may not be back but present and future health more important. 

You can call the staff all the names in the word. We're stuck with most of them until 2019 or 2020. I'm not rooting against them. I don't want to see good people lose jobs. But it's a business. Gordy was a great guy but again, it's tough to coach forever. After they draw 8-10,000 for Homecoming, there will probably be less than half those people back during the final game. To watch an offense that can't score is difficult even for the most ardent football fans. Watching the dreck of an offense last night or against Morgan was as bad as it gets.

I'm not going to sugarcoat it. I have some hope but it's dimming. Not for this year but beyond. I'll always be behind this program always because I've seen worse than this. I've been through Save Towson Football. I've seen games where we couldn't even stay on the field against mediocre teams. Let's hope we don't get to the point where we have to put STF on the helmets like 1990.

I like your passion for Towson Matt your program can change for the better with the same staff they just gotta stop being so stubborn and get the most out of what they got 

I don’t want to be a gloomy Gus all the time. I want to see the glass half full, but it seems to me this offense doesn’t need to be tweaked, it needs to be completely overhauled. We should assume Mahalak won’t be back next year-if he is, it’s a bonus. If he’s not, that leaves Stover, who’s become a turnover machine, Harris, who’s a 3rd-stringer pressed into play because the starter got injured & the backup is ineffectual, or Miller, who will be a raw freshman.  At RB, we’ll have Simpson, who is very talented, but has now been lost to injury 2 of his 3 years here. Who knows if Wethington is coming back, or what the JUCO who’s sitting out this year can do. We never seem to utilize our TE’s, at least since Oboh (maybe it’s been a lack of talent) so who knows what production we’ll get out of Wright next year. At WR, there will be some talent, but questionable if there will be a true playmaker/Home run hitter. Then there’s the OL. I don’t even know where to start with that unit. 

Maybe we’ll get some great freshman who are ready to play right away, and/or some great FCS transfers. Seems like an awful lot to hope for.

This still leaves the question of coaching. I know we’ve been snakebit with injuries, but can anyone objectively argue that our OC shouldn’t be replaced after this dreadful season of offensive ineptitude?

I'm not completely out of hope but there's not a lot of confidence left. Our offensive line is not that young when you have two juniors on the right side and a senior left tackle (now injured). Other than Cole Cheripko, I'm not sure if there are any linemen who can contribute next season. Sure, we'll get a few FBS transfers, but we need that help on offense. Maybe another big receiver since we're losing Kilgore and Tsimis. One big RB to replace C.J. Williams. It all starts with that line and ends with Stover/Harris/Miller/Jason Epps.

Harris didn't look that bad against Richmond. I don't care if he was a r-freshman third-stronger. Let's see if he can be Connor Frazier (with some read option) with an ability to throw it. I'm intrigued by him assuming he doesn't turn it over like Stover. But again, Rob made a good point about Stover, even though he's not Dan Crowley. He has to know if he doesn't take care of the ball, it's Harris now. It might be Harris next season or Miller. This spring should be an interesting competition.

They got a big back scott had an hell of a spring strongest one on the team beast in the weigh room but somebody must got something personal against the kid because he can help the running game now he'll cant do no worse 

One thing for damn sure at 230 arm tackle not going to bring him down David Bryant big also that's part of the problem always talking about bringing in kids but want use what you got .

See Matt this is how you loose recruits when you got 3 RB that you are using and average about 2 yards a carry and you got two big backs you haven't even tried kids see that then all of a sudden Towson gets the reputation of being dream killer university and like I said I am a coach many college coach pass through my school.i tried to be nice about it but like I said I am a coach and everybody talks since you are an insider Matt change the culture and help the team and it's not just about the RB position it's about all the positions when guys go down you haven't built no back ups with quality skills then the excuse becomes if we had this guy or that guy.see when you build a program instead of a team you get what you got at JMU first year coach win championship with players he didn't even recruit its the program that has been built

14 hours ago, TSU88 said:

I don’t want to be a gloomy Gus all the time. I want to see the glass half full, but it seems to me this offense doesn’t need to be tweaked, it needs to be completely overhauled. We should assume Mahalak won’t be back next year-if he is, it’s a bonus. If he’s not, that leaves Stover, who’s become a turnover machine, Harris, who’s a 3rd-stringer pressed into play because the starter got injured & the backup is ineffectual, or Miller, who will be a raw freshman.  At RB, we’ll have Simpson, who is very talented, but has now been lost to injury 2 of his 3 years here. Who knows if Wethington is coming back, or what the JUCO who’s sitting out this year can do. We never seem to utilize our TE’s, at least since Oboh (maybe it’s been a lack of talent) so who knows what production we’ll get out of Wright next year. At WR, there will be some talent, but questionable if there will be a true playmaker/Home run hitter. Then there’s the OL. I don’t even know where to start with that unit. 

Maybe we’ll get some great freshman who are ready to play right away, and/or some great FCS transfers. Seems like an awful lot to hope for.

This still leaves the question of coaching. I know we’ve been snakebit with injuries, but can anyone objectively argue that our OC shouldn’t be replaced after this dreadful season of offensive ineptitude?

OC needs to go no question. 

Here the thing you can fire who ever th culture has to change games should be sold out every week that Towson is home.nothing against other sports but basketball and football should be standing room only.you can't win  fans over by being stubborn and arrogant again develope a program that will at least put you in the playoffs every year 

3 hours ago, Ironman42 said:

Here the thing you can fire who ever th culture has to change games should be sold out every week that Towson is home.nothing against other sports but basketball and football should be standing room only.you can't win  fans over by being stubborn and arrogant again develope a program that will at least put you in the playoffs every year 

School does not do a good job of spreading pro - sports culture to students as well..