• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
mat1992

Smith, Flacco lead No. 21 Tigers over Delaware, 31-24

Always satisfying to beat Delaware. Also an important W, in that it staved off playoff elimination and sets up another elimination game next week vs Stony Brook.

Great coming out party for Caleb Smith. Glad he’s only a junior. Flacco was outstanding. 3 fumbles was bad, fortunately didn’t cost us the game (I’m thinking Delaware only turned 1 of the 3 into points).  There QB is dynamic; he almost made a phenomenal play at the end, but fortunately started his slide a bit too soon. Our D struggles mightily with getting off the field on 3rd & 4th down, especially when it’s 3rd & long. 

Attendance was awful-little over 5K on a glorious fall day. 

It's an understatement to say Towson needed this win badly. The coaches needed it, the program needed it and the school needed it. It's never easy when you play Delaware but it should have been. At least easier. Had Caleb Smith not fumbled in Blue Hens territory on the opening drive, the Tigers were winning this game by at least double-digits. Then you have Yeedee fumble on the next possession.

But give Caleb Smith credit. He had a tremendous game with 9 catches for 200 yards and a TD. Somebody has to step up with Jabari Allen (knee) probably not returning this year and Shane Leatherbury getting doubled every week. Not it looks like we might not have Chris Clark either. At least Daniel Thompson came back with two catches this week. I think they might have to use freshman Charles Murphy, who has played in one game. He can play three more and still redshirt. Guessing he'll be in next week assuming he's healthy.

I thought RA was really ballsy on that last drive. If we don't get a first down, Delaware has three timeouts and they get the ball back with a chance to tie the game. But the handoff to D'Ago Hunter from the slot position was a really good call. The fact that he got six yards was huge and helped us get the first down to end the game. It's ballsy because he fumbled on his first-ever carry as a running back. At 5-6ish, 175, he's not exactly T-West but he's the third-string running back now. At least it appears to be that way.

Flacco was really good today. I think the only bad pass was to Street or Smith, forget which, in the corner of the end zone. He overthrew him and we settled for the field goal. Is Delaware JMU defensively? Nobody is in this conference. Tom had all day to throw and didn't have to use his legs that often. He really threw some dimes back there. Most of them to Smith because let's face it, he had a good matchup. But what most didn't know is that he's not near 100%. He got banged up last week and he only ran four times for 20 yards. I don't think any of those were designed runs. 

Defensively, we're not very good but I think we've made some strides in the last two weeks. If you can hold JMU to less than 30 at home and the Hens to 24, despite turning it over three times, you're getting better. The key stop was at the beginning of the game, when Hunter fumbled in our territory and we forced them to punt the ball. Still not great on third downs (they were 5-of-12). Would like to get more pressure and in their first TD, we blitzed but left the slot wide open for a score. Can't do that crap against Stony Brook, who lost to Richmond today, 30-10.

Corners still have to do a better job of being aware of the ball in the air. Tackling, esp. against the quarterback Henderson, still needs to get better. We also need to set the edge better with our outside linebackers. 

But nice win and it's always great to beat the Hens, especially after last year's deflating loss.

12 minutes ago, TSU88 said:

Always satisfying to beat Delaware. Also an important W, in that it staved off playoff elimination and sets up another elimination game next week vs Stony Brook.

Great coming out party for Caleb Smith. Glad he’s only a junior. Flacco was outstanding. 3 fumbles was bad, fortunately didn’t cost us the game (I’m thinking Delaware only turned 1 of the 3 into points).  There QB is dynamic; he almost made a phenomenal play at the end, but fortunately started his slide a bit too soon. Our D struggles mightily with getting off the field on 3rd & 4th down, especially when it’s 3rd & long. 

Attendance was awful-little over 5K on a glorious fall day. 

Attendance sucked but not surprising. Hundreds of students were in the parking lot in the first quarter and Delaware doesn't bring many fans anymore. Maybe they had a few hundred. Yes, we are a pro area. Were the people from the DMV at the Nats' parade? (we should steal their slogan "stay in the fight".) Getting ready for Ravens Sunday night game? Who knows but losing games to Albany and Nova were crushing to the attendance.

8 minutes ago, mat1992 said:

Attendance sucked but not surprising. Hundreds of students were in the parking lot in the first quarter and Delaware doesn't bring many fans anymore. Maybe they had a few hundred. Yes, we are a pro area. Were the people from the DMV at the Nats' parade? (we should steal their slogan "stay in the fight".) Getting ready for Ravens Sunday night game? Who knows but losing games to Albany and Nova were crushing to the attendance.

They were getting ready for hoops home opener 

Attendance is an issue. The school needs to do better. Other programs are in “pro sports towns” with 4 sports not 1 and draw better than us.  I feel like is sort of true but also a lazy excuse (not on your part mat. But overall). What pro sports were playing today?  We aren’t trying to fill 20k seat stadium but 8500+ on a nice fall day, against a local rival, for an above average team, with 20K students, isn’t asking to much 

• Like 1

While I agree attendance should be better I don’t really know what is supposed to be done? Historically students have been apathetic to come to games and I’m not totally sure how to change it. 

There are so many options of things to do and so many transplants in the area that it’s tough to get buy in. Aside from the fact that the Rodgers Fordge crew resents Towson more than support them. 

25 minutes ago, griggey20 said:

While I agree attendance should be better I don’t really know what is supposed to be done? Historically students have been apathetic to come to games and I’m not totally sure how to change it. 

There are so many options of things to do and so many transplants in the area that it’s tough to get buy in. Aside from the fact that the Rodgers Fordge crew resents Towson more than support them. 

It’s status quo in the department; from AD, to coaches/staffs, marketing, fundraising, broadcasters etc.  they are either way over the head, clueless, stale or shouldn’t have been in that job to begin with 

When rob came to Towson he brought a swagger and shot in the arm and energy. That’s gone.

Waddell and west brought energy and decent crowds but was that just to winning? Maybe? 

Something has to change. They really as clueless.  Stop the stupid theme games that are repetitive. Why aren’t they doing young alumni tickets. 100 bucks for 2 football and 2 hoops tickets for each game.  

Also I’ve had season tickets for football for a few years. The last 2 I haven’t received anything in the mail about renewal, plans etc. and haven’t renewed. Just go on a game by game basis.  the same for hoops. I had to call them numerous times to renew my tickets that I’ve had since secu opened. And guess what, the season opens next week and no ticket booklets yet. What do Tim and Dan do all day?!  They don’t ask about tiger athletic fund either. You would think anyone whose ever done sales or marketing would ask about that too. You know an alum, giver in the past, season ticket holder, let’s inquiry.

It isn’t just me. Other friends that alum don’t receive anything either. It’s truly a joke and a clown show over there. 

An open forum is really needed as overall we on here have much better ideas to improve everything in athletics  

TU2012, your last post reminded me of something. I’m a donor to the TAF. I have it set up as a monthly debit from my bank card. Several months ago I canceled that bank card, due to an identity theft concern. Now that I think about it, no one from TU has called me to say, “hey, we noticed your card isn’t processing anymore, do you want to switch to a new card?”

I think this is symptomatic of a larger problem.

So how about the Delaware win? I'm not saying these are not pertinent issues. They are. But couldn't you guys start a new thread with these concerns? Maybe somebody important will read them.

Delaware win was very good & very necessary. Question now becomes can we steal a W on the road vs SB, who will be equally desperate as us for a W. What’s Stony Brook’s offense like? For that matter, what about their D?